Greg Woodcut

So for art (at school) we had to make a woodcut of a person, so me being me I chose Greg Farshtey, so here it is, it took me a total of 3 weeks

C&C appreciated

43 Likes

What a nice looking fellow, surely he won’t de-canonize love.

12 Likes

Impressive but not gonna lie, Greg’s smile looks kinda creepy

5 Likes

How I feel about this wood cut isn’t cannon, so… :gregf:

Oh yeah, that’s because there’s not a good way of going back on anything you do

5 Likes

Wow. That’s great, just really nice. I need such a thing to hang on a wall. But, believe that his eyes are too thin, unopened.

Greg’s smile is actually creepy

The overall silhouette is very good, if you hadn’t told me I would (wood, lol) have almost immediately picked this as being Greg, I suspect. I particularly like how you’ve portrayed the texture of his beard/hair, and then used a different technique for his skin. I like the light-dark balance, too - I’ve seen some woodcuts that look a bit like a negative photograph.

The mouth is the only thing that’s definitely throwing me off a bit - his eyes also look a touch thin, but it’s impossible for me to say if that’s just in relation to the mouth or not. I think it’s the teeth that are a bit disconcerting, but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Keep in mind I have no experience woodcutting whatsoever and have no idea what actually goes into it, so my feedback may well be absolute hogwash. :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall, though, I’d definitely say this is a good woodcut (I don’t know how much experience you have, but it certainly doesn’t look “amateur” to my eyes) and again, I certainly picked it as Greg. You’d make Axonn proud:

4 Likes

(SATIRE) Official (NOT ACTUALLY OFFICIAL) Input from Greg:

8 Likes

A timeless masterpiece, one for the ages.

You should try do some more woodcuts this year bro.

4 Likes

Under-represented medium, I second this notion

3 Likes