Guilty Pleasures

Guilty pleasures for 2013:

Habits (Stay High)
Don’t
Style/How You Get the Girl/Blank Space/Shake It Off…basically 1989

I can’t defend any of those songs, but boy do I love listening to them

5 Likes

Ariana Grande. I feel I shouldn’t like her music, but it is so catchy.

WHY YOU SO CATCHY?!

1 Like

It’s a good song.

EDIT:

This is also pretty great.

8 Likes

I like this one, and Sing too.

I’m also digging Outside. That Ellie Goulding and Calvin Harris one. You win this round, Harris. I still don’t like you tho.

2 Likes

I can’t help but feel this way, even though I love pretty much all of his work with other artists.

1 Like

“Call Me Maybe” was my guilty pleasure for a while.
I was not really listening it, but always enjoyed hearing on the radio.

Was never a fan, but I did enjoy that one she did with Owl City. Against my better judgment.

It was called “Good Time”

It was basically the anti “Young, Wild,and Free”

2 Likes

I feel like this topic has a lot of lost discussion potential by being limited to the music category.

5 Likes

When I made created this topic, I wanted to focus on music. Sure, I can change it to entertainment in general if people feel like talking about films and so on.

1 Like

Yeah, let’s move it to general entertainment.

Music-wise, “Wide Awake” by Katy Perry is a gulty pleasure of mine.

As far as movies go, I’ve got a big one - Battleship.

(Is shunned)

I mean, yeah, it’s objectively a pretty crappy film with an obnoxious protagonist, a shallow girlfriend, and a really cheesy alien invasion plot that is chock full of 'murican hubris. But when I originally saw it in theatres with the express purpose of mocking the heck out of it alongside my friends, I just… couldn’t.

In fact, I rather enjoyed myself. I loved the design of the alien ships, I felt that setting it in Hawaii was rather refreshing for some reason, I liked the side plot with the legless veteran, and above all, it seemed like there were subtle hints that the Aliens weren’t really hostile and just came to explore. I mean, that probably wasn’t the actual intent, but those clues were strong enough that there are many other people who share my theory.

(Still shunned)

5 Likes

Animals by Maroon 5 has been a guilty pleasure of mine. I don’t care much for the lyrics, but the way the song is composed really appeals to me.

4 Likes

Moved this to Entertainment, because I’ve been waiting for months to use my Master abilities. :stuck_out_tongue:

A movie that’s a guilty pleasure for me is Batman & Robin. Yes, it’s stupid and ultra-campy…that’s why I like it. XD

5 Likes

Expanding my list into other mediums seems to be harder than I thought. It’s either so bad it’s good or I just don’t enjoy it. The only thing that comes to mind is High School of the Dead. It’s just a bad one trick pony, that one trick being sentient breasts. Kind of like Total Recall.

I really liked Batman and Robin and Batman Forever as akid. Of course, they’re widely regarded as franchise killers, but I still really enjoy them today. They’re so over the top, I don’t understand how anybody could even try to take them seriously. Whenever I rewatch them, I expect to see absurd, stupid, wacky adventures, and that’s how I’m able to enjoy them.

And for the record, I really like the look of Arnie’s Mr. Freeze suit.

2 Likes

I agree completely. To me, they seem like updated versions of the 60’s tv show, which I also enjoy.

6 Likes

I liked i, Robot (the Will Smith movie) :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes, I’m aware that it deviates a lot from Asimov. I think it works as its own thing

5 Likes

I concur. As an adaptation it wasn’t that great, but as its own story, it was pretty darn fantastic.

1 Like

I also concur with the both of you. Oddly enough, back when I was a kid I still knew of Asimov, but I just couldn’t stop watching the darn thing, it really made up my childhood, somehow.

Yeah, kill me.

2 Likes

My older brother: “Our lives are guilty pleasures!”
Me: “What he said.”

If this is just music, then it’s The Script and Avenged Sevenfold.

If it’s for everything, then I’m a sucker for magical girl anime, despite only having seen like 3 of them, and for romantic comedies, no matter how absolute toss they are.

2 Likes