Gwyn and Namir

There’s nothing quite as magical as friendship, or so I have been told. For most, friends are people that are fun to be around. For others, friends are people you can trust and rely on. In the case of Gwyn and Namir, friendship can even inject compassion into an otherwise hardened heart.

Signifer Gwyn

Species: Toa of Air
Kanohi: Kakama, Great Mask of Speed
Pieces: 128

Gwyn is incredibly young, created long after most Matoran came into being (her creators likely didn’t know or didn’t care about the Great Beings’ standards for her element like gender or color) and transformed into a Toa not long after that. With her young age comes optimism and innocence, but not naivety. Gwyn is the de facto leader of her island and rules with her heart and soul. The Matoran under her care gladly do anything she asks of them because they know she wouldn’t ask of anything she couldn’t do herself.

At some point, Gwyn found herself on the Brotherhood of Makuta’s radar. They declared her a threat, believing her benevolence could be a greater motivator than their fear–at this time, the Makuta weren’t obvious in their cruelty to most of the universe, but they’ve long understood that fear of the unknown is a powerful weapon. Luckily for them, Consul R had a solution…

Spy Namir

Species: Unknown
Kanohi: Huna, Great Mask of Concealment
Pieces: 107

Namir is a bounty hunter, one who’s relatively unknown in the grand scheme of things but one who’s enjoyed a small niche in her time. The Dark Hunters have followed her in hopes of recruiting her into their organization, only to have her reject the “invitations” every time, for her loyalty lies only with herself and has no interest in complicating matters with the rules and the hierarchy that are practiced by the Shadowed One.

Late into her career, Namir was given what would’ve been her most rewarding job yet. A Makuta hired her to infiltrate a village where a powerful Toa of Air resided, capture her, and bring her to the Brotherhood of Makuta alive. If Namir was to succeed, not only would the monetary reward be greater than all of her previous jobs combined, but she would be appointed “Consul I,” the new leader of the land. Realizing how stupid she’d have to be to turn such an opportunity down, Namir accepted the job.

Namir’s strategy was to gain Gwyn’s trust in order to get her to drop her guard. To do this, she used her future title “Consul I” to give herself credibility. Gwyn immediately trusted “I” and welcomed her to the region. Over the years, Namir’s strategy ended up backfiring on her; not because Gwyn discovered her ruse, but because as time went on, Namir genuinely began to consider Gwyn as a friend. She was dreading the day when she would have to bring her in to the Makuta and hating herself for lying to someone so pure and friendly, yet couldn’t bring herself to terminate her contract with the Makuta both because the reward was too promising and because she feared the wrath they would rain down on the both of them.

Namir’s crisis of faith lasted for many years until Consul R came to the region to collect her prize. What happened to them after that? My records go dark after this, I’m afraid. I can only hope that things turned out for the best.

Trivia

• Gwyn and Namir are inspired by characters from Xenoblade Chronicles 3. In this case, Fiona and Irma, respectively.
    • Despite Consul R’s involvement in Gwyn and Namir’s story, the game’s Consul R never actually interacts with Fiona or Irma onscreen.
  • Gwyn was originally supposed to have small purple horns on her forehead, but I couldn’t think of a mask that allowed for this.
  • The only reason Namir uses the 4-fingered hands is because the 5-fingered variant was never produced in dark red.
  • Both of these MOCs are purist. Even the masks don’t need any modification, which is somewhat unusual for me.
14 Likes

As always, a treat to read your stories. I really enjoy Gwyn’s color scheme, I think it evens out really well

Sharing is caring:

Those little roller skate studs are part 11253

They seem to be more stable when the nubs fit into the bottom part of the mask slot. I recommend connecting the two studs before inserting the horn, it holds tighter to the mask. They still wobble, but the head stabilizes them pretty well with no real stress.

Of course, it totally depends on whether you want this mask or not, but it’s an option.

12 Likes

really like the white and teal colour scheme

4 Likes

These mocs are pretty neat. Loving the white and turquoise color scheme for Gwyn, and Namir looks nice as well. Lore is cool, good job.

3 Likes

nice colors and lore!

3 Likes

Like the weapon builds here

Very nice/10

4 Likes

I thought it was odd when Brickonicle Lewa was made teal and white (and a she), but this really sold me on the whole concept. Nice.

3 Likes

I didn’t know Brickonicle was a thing tbh (or that Lewa was a girl there). Gwyn’s character and color scheme are based on Fiona from Xenoblade 3, even down to the orange armband.

2 Likes

I like the weapon and color scheme on Gwyn, I’ve never seen something like it before. Nice!

3 Likes