Hagah's Nostalgia (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

Looks pretty good, though I do think that the filter (poster edges?) is it bit distracting. Maybe tone it down a bit

Actually I don’t think tracing mocs like this is allowed for this contest.

well, I don’t know if it’s traced or not.

But if it is, then yeah, it would be DQ’d

Yes! This is what I’ve been waiting for so glad you made it and you kept the original color scheme. You got my vote my friend. Definitely my new top choice

Iruini should probably be made gold, since his colors can’t be changed. Also - this still appears to be a photo of real-life MOCs with filters applied. Is that what it is?

3 Likes

Yes, on the rules regarding Gaaki, we can change the mask, his color and his spear. For my part, the MOC itself suits me. The mask has a very old connotation, and would seem familiar to Pridak before his mutation. Since the Hagah masks are reproduced in honor of heroes of the past. This is the reason why I kept the mask.

Regarding my way of proceeding, I have been drawing for more than 20 years. And I reproduce all the details as much as I can. Added to that the fact that I am using Photoshop with a Pad. Photoshop’s shortcuts with smoothing, fine lines, color gradients, blurring, marbled effects and so on, allow me today to create works such as this one.
If ever, this poses a problem for the competition because too realistic opposite the MOCs, I hope that the rules will be adjusted, to avoid in my case a concern of disqualification.

Regarding Iruini, this is Gold includes the reflections of the storm and the color palette to create it.

I thank you very much! It is very pleasant. I hope that my participation will be taken into account ^^

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

1 Like

I don’t see why it wouldn’t

Okay… but did you trace anything or not?

2 Likes

Pretty nice! I really like Pouks’ choice of Kanohi!

Regarding the lines that I drew, I used the photos of the Pouks mask that I created. In addition, the masks of Bomonga, Gaaki and Kualus not having them, I used the photos of the winners. The Kualus ice pick which serves as its support is an image that I bought, it is not of me. I just retouched it.

Thank you so so so much ! I wanted to give Pouks a more impressive side given his more impulsive character, and his massive armor. In addition, I was able to “recycled” broken parts

2 Likes

My apologies, if you drew this, than it’s really impressive, as most of the characters are “detail-accurate” to the actual pieces, which is why I though it was either traced, or an edited photo. I really am sorry for accusing you with that, it’s incredible how accurate the pieces and characters turned out.

This art feels like, a totally believable what-if, if the six Hagah were an official Lego line in 2005, and this would be promo art for them. It really unifies them all.

Amazing work!

There is no problem, with today’s software it accentuates the details even more. The two allies (drawing and software) make everything realistic. I use the same techniques for MODs from games such as Warhammer 40k. And thank you very much for your post. I love the Bionicle community!

Unity is exactly what I wanted to transcribe in the artwork! In view of the legend of this Toa team, I tried to give them back their nobility with this work. Thank you, that participation is compared to LEGO it touches me enormously!

1 Like

While it is entirely possible that you did indeed draw this, the large amounts of artifacting on whatever you used on the background and the laughably washed-out tone of Iruini’s armor make it look incredibly suspect.

EDIT: To back up my point, I took one of the Toa Metru promo images, applied the “Ink Sketch” effect in Paint.net - and the result has very similar artifacting on the background.

8 Likes

It is true that I am “new” to this community forum on Bionicles. I am someone who watches and learns from others at the MOC level. In addition, I am not very active. These competitions allow “freely” a conception and a look on a Universe which likes a very large number of people and which likes new ones. I was the first to be reluctant to take part in these different competitions, at least at the start. The rules having evolved in the right direction, and with the canonizations of Helryx and Artakha, I was more than satisfied with the results. So I set out to participate more in the community. I work on drawing projects, whether they are video games as explained above or in the field of tattooing. Your effect actually resembles the result I got. However, here are pictures of my backdrop that I used for the background:

I reworked the whole thing to make it fade in, colorful, and bring out all the different details. The drawing of Metru Nui is one of my projects from several years ago. I just incorporated it. As with Norik’s drawing:

I then imported the latter into Photoshop, all six Toa Hagahs were therefore reworked in terms of colors using the creation software. Finally, I use this kind of printer and scanner for my creations (this one is that of my workplace). This allows me to be able to do pretty much what I want:

In an answer I already gave, I worked with these images for the masks of Kualus, Bomonga and Gaaki, as well as a screenshot of the Hagah plinth in their TV commercial.

If my participation does not comply with the standard, it will be disqualified, I hope to get a response from the moderators if this is the case.

2 Likes

With all due respect…I don’t believe a word you just said. Mostly because Norik here is just too on-model and the lighting too realistic to make this look like anything other than a Stud.io model with some filters on it. There’s no stylization like you see in even the most realistic submissions thus far. The pinholes and geometry are too perfect. At the same time, entire chunks of his body are just…not there???
You straight-up did not draw half his knee? And why would you take a shoddy photo of your art instead of scanning it, since you were using a scanner anyway?
What are these dots under his armpit? Part of his torso that got mostly filtered-out, or artifacts?

So, yeah, forgive me for my skepticism, but I find this entire submission highly suspect.

6 Likes

Is 1-to-1 recreation your specialty? Because the unnatural light highlights from the Stud.io Building lighting map are pretty clearly visible, which is probably another piece of what throws people off.

7 Likes

For the “unnatural” light, I use fine canvas, behind which I place ultraviolet light (the link is in French, however the methods they use serve to reveal parts of the drawing and defects on which I am emphasizing. This may or may not lead to data loss such as Norik’s knees: Gilles Perrault - Art Analysis Laboratory & Expert Consulting Firm)

For the rest I always draw shadows that I erase or not. I don’t need it to be “perfect” to be able to add them to different software.

In any case, this is the first time that I have had to justify a job so much. And in view of the reactions to my participation, you have nothing to fear, since rule “11. We reserve the right to disqualify, at any time, any entry that we have reason to believe has been entered in bad faith or in an attempt to disrupt the voting process, or any entry we have reason to believe may disrupt the voting process.” is very likely to backfire on me.

While that is most certainly an interesting technique, the coloration isn’t what I was referring to. The shape of the highlights on Norik’s shoulder being overlapping elliptical shapes is what I was mentioning - something quite common on Studio renders.

2 Likes

When your art is so good it’s bad.

4 Likes