Hangin’ with Miney but Pixel (Secret Santa 2023)

My TTV Secret Santa 2023 present for @Minethuselah

For this one, instead of following my usual formula for this kind of poster-esque drawings, I decided to try something new and… well… basically learned pixelart. I thought that it would really fit the eighties/nineties aesthetic the original MOC has got going on. It was a style I switched to very late in the creation process because I got hit with inspiration very suddenly, but I’m glad that it happened because I got to try out something new.

original MOC for reference

Hangin' with Miney Ep. 1

Of course it wouldn’t be a NOTaHFfan redesign if I didn’t take some creative liberties :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. It deviates from the original design in several ways, but I hope you will find those changes fitting and in keeping with the spirit of the character

I think it would also be fun to include some extra materials from my creative process behind this drawing, since it’s a thing I’ve never done before on this site, so you’ll find some of that down below.

A timelapse of me coming up with the design I was going to use:

The initial character design:

The unrendered sketch of the final drawing:

Working on this little project was a ton of fun! I hope you enjoy it

This is it for now, this has been NOTa, thank you for viewing, please tell me what you think and happy new year!

18 Likes

sucks

Nah but fr, this is such a wild interpretation of his self moc and it actually goes so hard in the final illustration. I know I am to blame for it being pixel art in the end, but I am kinda happy you went with that route as I don’t think the aesthetic would’ve hit the same if it was a traditional digital art piece.

Nice work!

4 Likes

I agree the pixel art was the way to go here, you really did hit the nostalgia bone hard on this one. It really captures Miney’s original design so well too, this is like one of those holographic cards you’d get as a prize in a box of Kellogg’s cereal. I WILL rip open the bottom of the box to get it without waiting. Your art always has such character to it, really engages. And the timelapse was hypnotic lol

6 Likes

No way. It was you?!

My genuine first reaction to the picture was “NO. [Not a bad word but I don’t know how “freely” I’m allowed to speak here :D]. WAY.” I had seriously considered scrapping this MOC entirely because it just didn’t live up to what I was expecting and had actually taken most of the actual figure apart. The head and legs were all that remained, but this masterpiece gave me the will to revamp it completely (and who knows, maybe you’ll see it…)

Everything about this is perfect to the character, from the red jacket, to the orange shoes, to the lanky proportions (yes, yes, I’m a skeleton in real life…), to all the little things in the desk. And you even somehow managed to guess that I do indeed wear orange wristbands on my arm! The added “features” are creative as well, they really set the character apart from other screen-faced individuals. This is probably one of the best Christmas gifts I’ve ever received, thank you so much for everything you did with it!

And yes that time lapse is hypnotic I sat through the whole thing in a Walmart parking lot and could not look away

8 Likes

Incredibly 2000s early web pilled :star_struck: :100: :fire:

Fastest I’ve smashed the fave button in a while.
Love the oversized zippers, baggy fit, drippy shoes, TV head (who doesn’t), font, choice of lighting etc etc.

6 Likes

:smirk::+1:

:sob::-1:

Well, you weren’t the single culprit. You put the idea in my head, but the thing that did the final push was me seeing this wallpaper on my friend’s tablet:

It solidified the idea of doing a pixelart in my head and might have given me an idea or two for the colour palette that I ended up using

@Wekua thank you very much!

It’s definitely the kind of vibe I was aiming for, your description is just perfect

@Minethuselah ayyyyyy I’m beyond happy that you like it so much, thank you, it really means a lot!

Heh, so me trying to hide my artstyle worked well enough this time. Last time I did one of these, my present immediately got recognised as a drawing made by me, which is not very SecretSantatious if you ask me

Man I’m glad I’ve been able to give you some inspiration. I’ll definitely be looking forward to seeing it

well my profile does say that I am inside your walls :smirk:

Uhm what I mean to say is, I thought that the armbands would go nicely with the outfit and I guess I struck gold with that idea lol

Hey I’m glad you both like it. It’s something I’ll try including into my future drawing posts if I ever do any. I’ll finally put these videos to use, because me drawing program records them without permission

@Axelford thanks a lot man!

POV: you’re the fave button and Axel is online
IMG_4293

7 Likes

you were going to say shirt weren’t you :dizzy_face:

I wish that was me :goo:

if you quote the gif and keep typing it keeps resetting him to the first frame so he doin a little jig

4 Likes

Yo this is really cool. Definitely a departure from your original style but for the better, I quite like the retro design and the amount of detail is awesome! Very nice job NOTaHFfan

3 Likes