I have no idea what board to put this under or how to title it, but here goes: I’ve been wanting to chart out a G3 of sorts for a while now, with lore designed with the lessons learned from G1 in mind. This means cleaning up the list of elements that canonically exist and count as such, and which Toa may use. Even disregarding Earth and Stone, I think we can generally agree that the list didn’t make 100% sense and left out some perfectly good options, like the oft-mentioned Kinesis.
The basis for my proposed system has roots in Matoran religion, in which the number 6 is considered important, much like how 3 and 9 recur in Norse mythology. To coincide with this, I decided that the Matoran would assign all natural components of the universe into some number equal to a multiple of 6. The original 6 elements were evidently not enough to encompass the entire universe, so I expanded the list to 12 bullet points:
- Earth (more on this one in a moment)
- Kinesis (mechanical energy, to be clear)
- Aether (this encompasses Gravity and also allows the creation of wormholes; it is essentially a “fabric of space” element)
- Flora (just “The Green” with a shorter name)
It’s that last one that gets me. I’ve knocked around every idea from glass to non-Newtonian fluids, but I cannot drum up anything else that both fits with the other elements and is practically different in combat applications. Thus I turn to you in the hopes that you can think of something I have not which sates my needs.
To explain why I’ve had so much trouble, here are my rules as of now:
- Shadow is not an element; rather, I plan to use it as a sort of “anti-element,” representing destruction whereas the 12 proper elements represent creation.
- Stone has been lumped into Earth simply because we’ve been debating whether it should be for decades now, which clearly means the difference is not intuitive to everyone. I want the difference between each element to make fairly obvious sense. On these same grounds, Magnetism has been lumped into Lightning and Plasma into Fire.
- Sonics has also gotten the axe, as it’s just motion propagated through another element. Psionics has been oof’d because thoughts are not something you can create and throw at people or manipulate as part of your environment. These can still be in-universe powers, just not elemental ones.
- I’ve contemplated an “Acid” element, but its usefulness eludes me because even the strongest acid isn’t useful for much in a fight besides subjecting people to a slow, painful death. It can have niche uses, but I don’t want any elements to feel niche.
- Powers like Life and Time are too OP to make into proper elements, as they can’t be nerfed without stripping them of all uselessness, near as I can see.
Again, not sure where to put this topic, but I’m at my wit’s end, so if you have crazy new ideas or if you can find a way to make the elements I’ve rejected fit with the other ones, don’t hesitate to speak up. I’m kind of desperate at this point so I’m a bit impressionable.