Helryx | BIONICLE Canon Contest #1 : The First

Love the shield! I also love the use of metallic blue - that is not something you see often in MOCs. Great work!

2 Likes

impressive amount of work put into this!

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments and compliments!

@Everox @HIMEROSY Many thanks to both of you! I really like both of your take on my Helryx. It’s really strange yet satisfying to see my MOC inspires others to create something more, and also to rediscover it through someone else’s creativity.

I can totally see that: both weapons are quite big compared to the MOC. My point behing this was to depart from human standards for weaponery. I wanted a “spiked mace” really Bionicle-ish (in terms of design as well as proportions), not another human morning star.

As I replied here, I really don’t think I will.

When I built the shield, I thought Helryx might A)know the true meaning behind the UDD symbol and incorporated it in her shield B)have received this shield as a gift from the Great Beings themselves.
Besides, I find it very funny that Helryx would carry, on Destiny War’s battlefields, a shield which essentially be a hint to future events in the story. A hint even her enemies could not get at the time, while she bashed them in the face with her mace and shield.

Well, I guess you can still make it now :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m certainly interested by what you could come up with.

4 Likes

Neat design, blue and frail, with a flail. Nice

1 Like

Sigh, I so wanted this one to win…

Sorry that Hoseryx robbed you.

7 Likes

Thank you @Jathru_Cranli , but I don’t think that Noodle robbed me more than the voting process itself. It has been improved a great deal with the art portion though.

Besides, since the winning MOC will apparently not even be presented to GregF and be canonized, I really start to think it would benefit these contests to be solely art-based. That would allow more creative freedom in terms of designs and colours (something really practical for some characters) while still remaining faithful to G1 aesthetic and characters’ anatomy. It would also mean less time and effort put into a MOC portion with 100+ entries and substantial yet ludicrous drama.

I don’t think it’s a popular opinion among the community right now, since a majority still prefer the idea of a LEGO-based and buildable winning entry (even if not canon), so any Bionicle fan could replicate it on their shelves. But LEGO pieces are clearly not the only medium to create Bionicle related content anymore. Moreover, with a single art contest for each character, fans could absolutely make their own MOC out of each winning art entry if they want to. At the end of the day, those would be as canon-compliant as the winning MOC entry for this Helryx contest.

3 Likes

The MOC will be presented to Greg along with the art, but yes, the art will be the fully canon version. The MOC will also be hosted on BS01, however, as the source for the inspiration.

6 Likes

That Takua MOC tho :fire:

7 Likes

Thank you @NewDrewBuilder1992, you can check the rest of the Chronicler’s Company on my Flickr :wink:

1 Like

I saw the rest, they looked great.

1 Like

If the Great Beings made the first Toa out of a Super Battle Droid! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Get ready for metallic blue Kualus.

Putting that aside this is a great moc. While I’m not really a fan of the mask nor tools, it’s better than just about all of the entries I’ve seen.

4 Likes

Hi,
I just wanted to share with you my 3D print of Du’s mask.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bioniclelego/comments/iixlem/my_take_on_helryxs_kanohi_not_the_winner_one/

4 Likes

I really LOVE canon-Helryx, but this is also really fantastic design! :grinning: :grinning:

5 Likes

Yeah, I think after it all this is my favorite out of all the entries. Shame it didn’t win.

6 Likes

I wasn’t even on the boards when the Helryx contest happened…

But if I was I would have voted for this.

5 Likes

Definitely much-much better than the winning entry.

1 Like

My opinion on the winning design keeps changing; Sometimes I love it, sometimes I dislike it

It any case, this moc is fabulous

One thing you can’t take from the winner… That it’s indeed disturbingly frail.

This would be a perfect Helryx, but because of meme sheaningans we got that hunchback instead eh…

4 Likes