Helryx, the Disturbingly Frail (Canon Contest #1 | The First)

You were saying?

3 Likes

this is what happens when people donā€™t chill

3 Likes

What are you going to do when thisā€¦wins?

Edit: nevermind. Congrats on the win, Iā€™m honestly thinking about entering the art portion just so I can hopefully make helry- sorry hoseryx have joint armor, no other reason.

Edit: Nevermind this never won and Iā€™m coming back almost six months later to cover my tracks

3 Likes

It hasnā€™t won yet, partner.

1 Like

Really stoked about this model. Really represents my biosona in the community.

It hasnā€™t? Iā€™m still a bit confused how this last portion works.

Theyā€™ve got to eliminate bot votes and total the amounts afterwards. This means verifying every single account on every single entry, which still hasnā€™t happened yet since the contest goes on for another 12 hours.

Then itā€™s up to Greg whether or not it becomes canon. If he disapproves he is presented with the runner up, which he may also disapprove.

1 Like

They check for any accounts using the same email address, basically checking for dupe accounts.
Which is logically sound: otherwise, if someone wants an entry to win, they can just make a whole bunch of accounts and all vote for that entry.

I actually have a deep pit in my stomach seeing this having a lead so close to the end of the contest. Even with the auditing, Iā€™m worried that this will still win. This ā€œsetā€ will be supposed to ā€œstandā€ (for lack of a better word) among the same team as Lesovikk. Remember that everyone.

Two accounts with the same mail could just be a parent and his child
I dont know how anyone could really know the difference :frowning:
The idea of someone deciding what votes are legit and changing the outcome makes the contest kind of pointless

And also siblings. Itā€™s happened before, and is an issue theyā€™re aware of. People are able to get ahold of the moderators through email or another means if an account has been falsely banned for being a duplicate. Iā€™ve seen people comment that their account got banned because their brother made an account or something, and the mods mistakenly thought it was a dupe account, and as far as I am aware, they got unbanned once they explained the issue.

And yes, it still isnā€™t perfect. No system can be. Someone could just claim they have a sibling who doesnā€™t actually exist, and have two accounts. There really isnā€™t any way to prevent that. They just have to do the best they can.

6 Likes

Another option would be to just let the voting happen and not changing things midway

Im new on this side, i came over from a facebook group to vote and the experience was not really good

First i was forced to do spend some time reading on here (or leave) and now the deadline was moved just because the simplistic build is leading

This feels very messy

why not lean back and just let people vote

i dont understand whats the problem here

The deadline is the same as always, but the poll replies were locked because people were arguing a lot. Personally, I agree that the best thing is to just let people vote, but duplicate accounts do indeed need to be vetted.

If the main concern is one of transparency, it could be possible for the moderators to let us see the list of voters before and after the bot removal, but again I doubt that would be possible.
Regardless, we still have just 10 hours or so more to go. Iā€™ve voted for Noodle myself, so really I just hope the win is legitimate.

2 Likes

Lesovikk and Helryx were never on the same team. Iā€™m fairly certain they never even met each other.

1 Like

Iā€™d also add the rule ā€œjoke entries are not allowedā€ and it would be perfect

(Edit: I know that the author said that his Hoseryx is not a joke, but cā€™mon that canā€™t be true)

4 Likes

Firstly, this isnā€™t anything new. Dupe accounts have always been against the message board rules.

Second, the checking for dupe accounts was not done on the first poll, because the moderators didnā€™t think they had to. They trusted people to vote legitimately. Should they have done a check for dupes? Maybe. Would it have impacted the results? Maybe. But they did as you said, just trusted people and let them vote.

It wasnā€™t until the second poll, when there was a huge influx of new accounts, that they felt they had to check for dupes. Particularly when people pointed out two accounts with the same avatar, that joined at the same time and voted for the same entry ā€“ more than a little suspicious (although apparently not actually a dupe?) There were many people saying the mods needed to count for dupes, so they did. And there werenā€™t just dupes voting for this model, but others as well. One model only won because of dupes, and it wasnā€™t this one.

As for why it matters, if people are allowed to make all the dupes they want, then the contest no longer matters. Itā€™s no longer a question of who can make the most popular moc, but who can make the most accounts to support their favorite.

One last thing I want to say: if you donā€™t trust the moderators here to host this contest as fairly and legitimately as possible, if you truly think they would manipulate the votes, Iā€™m not sure what else I can say to convince you otherwise. Only that I trust them, many people here trust them, and to the best of my knowledge, Greg Farshtey trusts them.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a few people now, who are angry this moc is doing well, not even know who the character is.

Really makes you think.

5 Likes

You seem nice and If you trust them, i could try it too.
But i dont understand why my first post was set to private :confused:

Sorry about that; I flagged it to see if the mods wanted to move the discussion to the canon contests topic, since itā€™s gotten a bit off-topic here. Your post is fine.

I think you can just edit it a bit after a few minutes and undo the set to private thing.

1 Like

Really? Youā€™d figure that the first toa would be on the first toa team