Homeschooling

Truth!

2 Likes

I’m writing a paper for my English 101 class on why alternative education like homeschooling is a good option, and I found this article that made me really mad, regardless, I’m going to use it as a source because it’s a good opposing view showcasing the nonsense of the anti-homeschooling people.

Honestly the stereotype that people who’ve been homeschooled aren’t social is complete bull. I’ve met multiple people who’ve been homeschooled and they’re a ton more social than I am, and a lot are of better character tbh. I haven’t been homeschooled, so I can’t really comment on the positives and negatives aside from what I’ve already said above.

From what I’ve heard though, I really wish I’d been/be homeschooled, as public school hasn’t offered me any meaningful social situations and has given me a fair bit of issues. It’s ironic because that’s supposedly one of its advantages. Again, can’t comment on the quality of the education.

1 Like

Sigh, I don’t know where the guy that decided homeschoolers were unsociable is, but I have only ever met one that’s really socially awkward. As for me, I’m almost a little over-socialized, as I have the tendency to talk too much to people. Still, the laughs and cheer that me and my friends get out of people who think homeschoolers are unsociable is a foutain-never-drying.

I used to be afraid of going to public school :LOL. Now, my opinion has changed. I would have been fine I believe to be public schooled for high school, though, thanks to obnoxious state regulations, once you start homeschooling high school, you can’t transfer to public school without pretty much life-altering consequences (basically, let’s say you took 9th grade as a homeschooler and moved to your local high school, then instead of going up to 10th, you’d have to do 9th over again).

Still, I love homeschooling and would at least like to try it when I have kids. I love having spent so much time around my mom, dad, and brothers, and getting so much free time to read, write, play outside, and just do stuff (though that died in high school). Especially writing.

@Jon

I feel like quoting this because the mish-mash of curriculum is what I’ve done too. I’ve pretty much done Math-U-See my entire life (my older brother and a friend of his both did Saxon, and loathed it), Mystery of History is literally the sole reason I like History so much, I’ve done a lot of IEW stuff in the past few years, and that stuff serves as a really powerful backbone in my own writing. And Apologia, hard as it may be, was a really great experience. Did you (I refer to Kahi in particular, but really anyone else too), do any Co-Ops or that sort of thing?

3 Likes

As a person who has been homeschooled, and gone to public school, I feel it fair to provide a point on the issue of homeschool vs public, primarily the social aspects.
As for homeschooling, it allows a more 1 on 1 learning experience, and is easier in that aspect, but also has more work, and less capacity for social interaction. I can say that, as a homeschooled kid for four years, I rarely saw my friends, but did have social interaction occasionally. It’s more difficult as a homeschooled kid to interact socially, but that DOES NOT mean homeschooled kids are less social.
On public school, it’s less personal, and there’s often less work (in my experience, considering I has ten times as much work in fourth grade than eighth), but social interaction is far easier, being with other kids your age every school day. But again, that DOES NOT mean public school kids are more social. I know of kids in my grade that I’ve been in school with for four years now that I’ve only just learned their names, and that’s kinda sad, considering they have so many outlets for social interaction. I know kids in my school who sit alone at lunch, just because they don’t like talking to people.
In short, it isn’t about the schooling.
It’s about the person.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I feel like I should say one of the things I very truly believe: Homeschooling isn’t for everyone, but everyone, if they can, should give it a shot. Most of my best friends in public schools have flourished under its environment, but some hate it. Based on what I’ve heard, I think I would dislike it a lot, but, as I said, homeschooling isn’t for everyone.

1 Like

I wish I could have everything you wrote sent to everyone on this Earth. Agree with you completely.

1 Like

Co-ops are definitely what I would call a staple of homeschooling, and I was part of one for about two years in high school.

2 Likes

Excellent choice :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

(yey for topic revival)

Yeah, I am homeschooled. The only public-schooling I have done was preschool.

As for why I am homeschooled, we moved out into the country because my dad was a farm manager. We lived a hour away from any towns and we would need to get up super early, drive a way to the bus-stop and then go to school. We would not get back until really late, and it would never work out.

So I have done Abeka, which was…interesting. We do online school nowadays, but meh.

I do have a much different schedule then most people, I can wake up and leave town for a few days without any huge problems. Or I can go do a service project in the morning for the elderly in our church. (I did that yesterday)

I find that becoming public schooled for me would likely not work out, as my personality and quirks in that situation would be a recipe for disaster.

6 Likes

I would prefer being homeschooled, but public school is fine at the end of the day. I do enjoy public school however because of activities, clubs, and friendships you get to be a part of. And trust me, if I wasn’t in public school I would be way less social than I am now. I mean everyone likes my personality, right?

RIGHT?

1 Like

Right.

Because of things like church and Scouts, I find plenty of activities to take part of every week.

Now I don’t have any IRL friends, but that is my own fault and strange interests…

1 Like

Not to mention the current system is trash and has been since the 1920’s.

3 Likes

Is it just me, or is Lego really big with homeschoolers? I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I just realized a lot of the other homeschooled kids I knew were pretty into Lego at some point.

4 Likes

@OraNui
Probably because there was less peer pressure saying “it’s only for small children”. Could just be that the boards are an echo chamber for that group, however.

4 Likes

I’ve been told this often…

Also I feel like it’s because people that are homeschooled aren’t part of the public school crowd, don’t really get into “what’s popular” or whatever with friends, yadda yadda

3 Likes