How Does One Say "BIONICLE"? (The Pronunciation Topic)

Continuing the discussion from Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui:

Honestly some of the names in Bionicle can be a mouthful. What names gave (or still give) you hard time. I always had trouble with the metru-toran.

10 Likes

Honestly Lewa gave (and still gives) me issues. I always thought it was Lee-wah, but a book I had said it was Lay-wah. :confounded:

6 Likes

I always pronounced Reidak Raidak instead of Raydak.

I always had problems with some mask names.

I had hilarious issues with some of the 06 names because I was just getting into it and I ended up accidentally calling Matoro something that sounded more like mattress because finally realizing the error in my ways.

5 Likes

Moving to BIONICLE Discussion
I would say either Avak or Lewa. It took me the longest to correctly pronounce their names.

I’ve always pronounced Skakdi as Ska-dee-kee, and a few years ago pronounced Lewa as Loowah.

Loowah has been the downfall for most Bionicle fans.

8 Likes

Thats interesting. When I first saw Reidaks name, I somehow misread it as Rediak, and pronounced like that for a while.

7 Likes

The most confusing is Mangaia and Mangai

7 Likes

Avak doesn’t have 2 long A sounds (the one that it makes in Apple(go))?

Hau do you say Hau? /s

I always had trouble with Jaller after naming day. Is it Jala still? Or is the R pronounced?

4 Likes

I somehow misread “Pohatu” as “Poathu”… And I pronounced it “Poht-hoo” ><

Also the whole Onua/Onewa thing… I said Onua was “ON-oo-ah” (instead of “Oh-noo-ah”) and Onewa was “On-ee-wah.” I’m probably still pronouncing some things wrong…

2 Likes

I always say Lewa “Loo-wa”. Heike is “Hiw-ee-key”. And last but not least, Phantoka as “Fant-oo-ka”

@Political_Nuju Some people pronounce it Loo-a…

I’m pretty sure Lee-Wah is the correct way of saying it.

Also @TheGecko I believe the name you’re looking for is not Heike, but Hewkii…

2 Likes

I’ve never had much problem with pronunciation, but Onewa… Because my Mom read me the Bionicle Chronicles books when I was little, I always pronounced it Oh-nee-wa, instead of Ah-new-aa,

4 Likes

It’s not said “loo-wa”?
I used to pronounce phantoka as “phamnaka”. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I used to think the Morbuzakh was pronounced “more-buh-zuk”. But that was when I only knew the name from the book and never heard it out loud or looked at the word closely.
Just like many people here, I was sadly one of the people who pronounced it “loo-uh”.
I also said “vee-zon” instead of “vay-zon” and “kayn-Ruh” instead of “Can-ay-Ruh”.

5 Likes

I always pronounced Onua and Onewa the same way. Then I renamed Onua to Onura in one fanfic, and now I only ever call him Onura. As for Lewa… According to BS01, it’s Lay-wah. I always pronounced it Loo-wah. I remember having a little trouble with Matau before LOMN came out, but now I forgot what it was…

I’m slovak so I pronounce everything like it’s written. :smiley:

2 Likes

I always thought Lewa was Lu-wah, and I probably thought Onua and Onewa went the other way around.

For the longest time I thought Takanuva was way more than eight letters, as well.

You mean four syllables? O_o

Derp… yeah.

2 Likes