How would you feel about a Bionicle line in the vein of the new Eternals set 76155?

I saw a picture of the recent set 76155 In Arishem’s Shadow and immediately thought it looked remarkably like a Toa:

Lego has made some pretty fantastic mech/robot sets recently, but I feel like this one in particular shows the potential of a brick-built Bionicle line (which is realistically the only way Bionicle could return again, even as a one-off tribute).

The torso shaping is giving me strong Jaller Mahri vibes, with the curved ‘horns’ on the chest, and it even comes with a functional heartlight lit by a light brick!

It’s also trivially easy to replace the neck with a joint suitable for attaching a Bionicle head (only required swapping 3 pieces), and though it’s slightly out of proportion it fits remarkably well:

As much as I love the old G1 and G2 styles (admittedly G2 took a while to grow on me), I would snap up a set like this in a heartbeat.

How would you feel if Bionicle got a new line of sets, or a tribute set in this style?

13 Likes

That would work pretty well yeah.
Though I do think that the style would be super suited to a Mata-Nui robot set. Maybe prototype Mata nui robot vs Teridax robot.

3 Likes

I could totally get behind a Bionicle reboot if it looked something like this. I’m actually planning to get this set once it’s released specifically to get a better feel of it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few versions of the Mata Nui Robot in this style and it works really well

Now that I’ve pointed it out I feel like I’m obligated to pick it up and try making some modifications :laughing:

3 Likes

depends on how well the set is executed

1 Like

theory - lego is just lazy and this is going turned into the mata nui robot to be the poll set next year

4 Likes

Interesting idea, though I’m gonna be honest, I’d be disappointed if we got brick-built bionicle. I understand why a lot of people would be happy or at least satisfied with it, but the main part of a bionicle revival for me is a revival of the system. I know that isn’t really realistic, but a man can dream. Also, I’m completely unfamiliar with this set, what theme is it for?

2 Likes

it’s from the Eternals theme (Eternals is an upcoming MCU film)

I think that’s highly unlikely

Ah, cool. Thanks!

you can’t deny that would be funny tho

It would be funny but it would work pretty well with just a little modification. I don’t think they could with it being a Marvel/Disney design though.

This sounds like an interesting concept. We’ll see if Lego makes anything of it.

1 Like

This specific build kinda sucks for a Bionicle character, but System itself is a perfectly fine basis for constraction. Just…get rid of the ■■■■ ratchet joints…

1 Like

As long as a hypothetical line of sets looking like this would at the very least include molded masks and weapons, I wouldn’t be opposed to it at all.
However, I do echo @SirKeksalot’s sentiment that they shouldn’t be using ratchet joints, but rather regular brick ball joints for a maximum amount of articulation.

4 Likes

VAKAMA

:mega: C H O N K

6 Likes

TBH I’m not 100% sold on this aesthetic on Bionicle, but I’d honestly take any Bionicle reboot right now.

1 Like

Given how expensive that set is I don’t think it’s really the ideal blueprint for a new line of Bionicle sets.
I think a large part of Bionicle’s success came from the low pricepoints of the main canister sets. A hypothetical line of brick built action figures would need to aim for a 10-15 dollar price point to be successful imo.

If I were to pick out existing sets to act as the basis for a Bionicle reboot it would probably be these:

5 Likes

does that have…a tridax pod?!

2 Likes

I don’t really think that would be an ideal way of making Bionicle system sets, because those mechs are just… way too small.
I think something in this build style would be much, much better:

It is still using Mixel joints, but in a much more efficient way than the Marvel Mechs in my opinion.

8 Likes

See, something bigger would be nice, but one key factor in Bionicle’s early success was its price tag. Each Toa was affordable on a kid’s allowance, and Matoran were even cheaper. Inflation has made sets of a similar scale pricier, but something more compact could be cheap enough to make it easier for kids to get their hands on it, giving the theme a greater chance of success.

6 Likes