Hydraxon, God-Trainer

Made a Hydraxon revamp for @Connor_Hoffman’s MOC contest this month!

I took inspiration mostly from how he may have looked before his assignment to the Pit. As a kid, I always pictured him like a terrifying, walking arsenal. Lots of weapons to cover his body, including two extra boomerangs and two daggers on his lower legs. I tried to overall bulk up the original set while staying true to the basic structure, as well as adjusting proportions. Hydraxon’s set form always looked a bit top-heavy, so bulking up the legs and shortening the arms helped with that a lot.

Let me know what you think of the result!

EDIT: One critique I received was to replace the light pearl grey with metallic silver, and I believe the results speak for themselves:

37 Likes

Hmm, I think he’s a little too chonky for me. I’ve always liked Hydraxon’s more sleek look. Of course, I’m pretty sure I just like sleek things more than chonk things In general. Anyway, it’s still a great Moc

4 Likes

That’s absolutely valid. I saw a ton of really excellent-looking, sleeker revamps for Hydraxon while I was looking around for a bit of inspiration, but I ended up leaning toward a bulkier look to give the impression of a powerful, well rounded fighter. Thank you for the input!

1 Like

Yeah. Honestly I think the sleek Vs. bulky argument is more a matter of personal preference, because personally, when I think of a well rounded fighter, I tend to think more sleek and lean, but powerful. But again, that’s just my opinion, and your’s is just as valid.

Edit: also, is he built off of an inika body?

1 Like

Right, that’s valid. Like I said, a lot of my reasoning came from seeing the original set as rather top heavy. I figured that I would take and bulk out the original frame of the set while also adjusting proportions.

And that also starts to answer your edit question; I wanted to revamp the set by filling out the original frame, so the entire build is actually built almost entirely off of the original Inika frame.

1 Like

I actually didn’t realize the original hydraxon set was built off of an inika body (I had to look it up), so it makes more sense why you did that now. Anyway, I do really like this. Hydraxon is one of my favorite sets that I never got, probably just under Lesovikk and original takanuva

1 Like

Yeah, otherwise I might have tried to develop a different build; that likely would have influenced the direction the build took, as well.

I also was always a huge fan of Hydraxon. In my mind’s eye as a kid, I always saw him as this walking arsenal, where it’s hard to tell where his armor ends and his weapons begin, and I tried to capture that here.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I love the lower legs.

1 Like

I always imagined Hydraxon as the bad*** bounty hunter-style character who didn’t talk much. It’s so interesting, the different interpretations of certain characters

2 Likes

Overall a really nice build, needs some silver on the arms tho

1 Like

Nice moc! The added bulk makes him look really powerful.

Could you provide a link to the contest? I tried looking for it, but couldn’t find anything.

2 Likes

This is crazy good! Thanks for taking the time to render him in Classic box/advert poses.

2 Likes

Thank you! That was actually my favorite part of the build, filling in around the original Rahkshi lower leg. I knew I wanted to add an extra set of daggers to his legs, and immediately my thought process jumped to chains.

Thank you! That’s a valid critique imo, although the original set made do with the grey Inika limbs and the boomerangs on his shoulders. I didn’t want to stray too far from the original color blocking.

Thank you! The contest is happening on Connor’s Discord server, I can DM you the link to it.

Thank you! I always loved the pose he has on the box, it’s so dynamic and cool! The pose from the Toa Mahri cinematic is my personal favorite though.

ALSO: On recommendation, I tried swapping the light pearl grey in Stud.io with metallic silver, and I believe the results speak for themselves:

5 Likes

I think this is better than the actual set, in my opinion!

Amazing job!

1 Like

That was the plan! Thank you much!

Epic build always wanted heydraxon as a set just recently bought him online but my god he needs to be revamped.

1 Like

Thank you! Feel free to draw inspiration from mine if you decide to revamp yours! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks I probably will

1 Like