If you could retcon one thing in Bionicle

not really retconning this but
The spherus magna story arc
They could have done this in a pleathora of ways, but the final result felt way to complex, and unneeded, not to mention forgettable.
When I said not really retconning it, I mean they should redo it

make it less confusing to what the actual problem was for the bara magna inhabitants.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to retcon the entirety of The Legend Reborn. That movie was justā€¦just the worst. But if Iā€™m forced to pick three momentsā€¦

-Mata Nui granting ā€œToa Powersā€ to the Glatorian

-The Scarabax beetles turning into giant Malum

-Making the Mask of Life too dang OP (Which goes outside the realm of TLR I guessā€¦)

6 Likes

Retcon Eljayā€¦? cough I mean, I never disliked anything in Bionicle 'cause Iā€™m not really picky with the story, but if anything Iā€™d probably retcon Click. Kill it with fire.

P.S. I donā€™t hate eljay. :wink:

5 Likes

Hmmā€¦ this is tough.

Iā€™d retcon Vakama turning evil.

6 Likes

As a few others have said, the Red Star magically reviving almost every dead character was a terrible idea. Thatā€™s the only thing that really annoys me about Bionicle, especially since Greg had stated in the past that he didnā€™t like resurrecting dead characters. What was he thinking??

5 Likes

Besides the obvious (Making love canon)ā€¦

ā€¦retconning the existence of the Great Spirit Robot and its implications on BIONICLE. Could end up solving a lot of problems and take the story on a different turn (including, but not limited to, ignoring Bara Magna.) Given that BIONICLE ended in 2010, it would be better for 2009 and 2010 to stay within the confines of a singular world, with a more dramatic final battle between the Toa and a possibly-amped-up Makuta. (This would, by extension, retcon the Red Star as well, and the unresolved plot threadsā€¦ which might be replaced by different unresolved plot threads.)

Iā€™d retcon the Ignika. Well, not so much the mask itself, but make it less of a cheap plot device that could basically save any desperate situation.
Red star was also dumb and only existed as a cheap plot device.
And the Pit Mutagen for that matter.
And Energized Protodermis.
0.0 Okay I didnā€™t realize how much of those there wereā€¦

3 Likes

BIONICLE G1: Not having Kaita post-2002.

BIONICLE G2: Not having Kaita at all.

Edit: BIONICLE G1: Onuaā€™s voice in Mask of Light.

7 Likes

Iā€™m looking at most of these retcons, and Iā€™ve realized something. Almost all of them come from thinking of the Matoran Universe characters as people instead of blood cells. You have to remember that the Great Beings never intended the Matoran to be able to think at all. Doesnā€™t fix your complaints, but I think itā€™s worth noting

This one I have a big problem with in particular. Retconning the GSR ruins G1. everything was designed with the purpose of leading to that reveal in 2008, from Vakamaā€™s legend of the Bionicle, to the shape of Mata Nui. without it, Bionicle makes no sense.

7 Likes

Who says they are NOT connected?

My gosh, Iā€™m so tired of people making assumptions. Itā€™s too early to assume things and want retcons! We need to understand the whole reason both are different and the stuff with timelines before we want CHANGES to the timeline.

Itā€™s like this: ā€œHey, look, a bunch of assumptions! Iā€™ll use that as fact and start wanting changes!ā€ Who says they are NOT connected? Letā€™s not make assumptions and see how the story goes before we want changes.

5 Likes

Iā€™d personally get rid of Teridaxā€™s name (which is funny because I donā€™t think itā€™s as bad as other people seem to). As well as changing the 2005 storyline so that it was Matau who became evil instead of Vakama. If you think about it the whole 2005 storyline would make a whole lot more sense if he did.

4 Likes

true but I think time trap would be less awesome if that happened

It would have also made the Turaga more open with the Toa and Matoran

In that caseā€¦

Eliminating the Solis Magna system.

Iā€™m quite sure the giant robotā€™s destiny wasnā€™t conceived that early on. That would also be a big change and force LEGO to come up with a different 09-10 story arc, maybe a better developed Reign of Shadows.

2 Likes

Now that I can accept

Christian Faber confirmed on his blog that the GSR was planned since 01.

Hmmmā€¦ how about how the Toa Mahri/Inika were caputed by the Golden skinned being, then WE NEVER FOUND OUT WHAT HAPPENED. LAST WE HEARD THEY WERE BUILDING HIM A GRAND OLD FORTRESS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT AS HIS MIND CONTROLLED SLAVES AND THATS ALL WE LEARN. YEAH, IF WE COULD GET RID OF THAT WHOLE THING THATā€™D BE GREAT.

Yeah. The three virtues and their symbol were designed around Solis Magna and that Mata Nuiā€™s duty and destiny were to unite the planets

2 Likes

Not my point

Greg confirmed they got free.

3 Likes