If you could retcon one thing in Bionicle

The Makoki stone is destroyed by Frostelus.

years later, the Kanohi Dragon attacks Metru Nui, and 11 Toa arrive to fight the beast, the eleventh being some other Toa of Fire/Gravity (those elements make good leaders) This alternate leader is not as good as Lhikan, and when he dies, Nidhiki takes command of the Toa Mangaia. Tuyet reveals she has the Nui Stone, and without Lhikan there to convince him otherwise, Nidhiki helps Tuyet assume control of the MU.
For further reading, please read “Dark Mirror”.

7 Likes

easy: If Lhikan never exists, another Matoran becomes a Toa of Fire and is sent to the Toa Fortress.This new Toa is much stronger than Lhikan, and he saves the other Toa in the fortress.He then does the same things Lhikan did, except this more powerful leader is able to keep Nidhiki on his team. Nidhiki is later murdered by KRekka, who is in turn killed by Lhikan’s replacement. The Toa Metru are created, but as Nidhiki created half the Toa stones, Lhikan’s replacement remains a Toa. But, as Turaga Lhikan doesn’t exist, he cannot save Vakama from Makuta, so Vakama dies. Lhikan’s replacement takes his place as leader of the Toa Metru, and Jaller gets a Huna.The Vahki Transport ships are then named Vakama and Vakama II. This more experienced leader also is able to recover the Vahi. Later, The Toa Metru get captured and turned into Hordika, but this transformation doesn’t last long, as the new Toa doesn’t turn the way Vakama did. Since the new Toa has nothing to be ashamed of, he and the Turaga Metru are much more open with the Toa and Matoran, telling them everything about Metru Nui. Oh yeah, and the Shadowed one is slain by Makuta as Vakama was not there to intervene in their battle in Time Trap. Huh. guess that wasn’t so easy after all

7 Likes

Hmm. What if he gets killed off there?

1 Like

there you go

This guy strikes me as a bit of a Gary Stu, honestly. Or maybe it’s just Takanuva. :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s just cause this is a rough overview of what would happen.

Fair enough.

I guess not many will agree with me on this, but I think that, while badly handled, Vakama’s betrayal was still an important piece of character development, and without it, Time Trap wouldn’t have been nearly as good a story as it turned out to be.

5 Likes

Vakama’s WHAT!?

Refresh my memory, I’ve never heard this.

The entirety of Web of Shadows.

7 Likes

Oh. Wow. I’m a moron.

3 Likes

I misread this as “Vakama’s portrayal” and as such was confused.

Anyway, how about we retcon… Greg. All the decisions he made are undone.
Does that count?

4 Likes

<lh

• looks back at most of BIONICLE *
    POOF!
  • sees it vanish in a puff of smoke *
7 Likes

well you could get away with certain things, such as making Makuta just one guy, all of the Makuta in 2008 could just be passed off as very loyal servants who have been experimented on and have certain makuta powers, or leaving the red star just a mysterious star, or leaving love canon (actually i think those are the only 3 things you could get away with without screwing everything up, except maybe Miserix)

7 Likes

Hm…

Velika and the Great beings or any and all characters and events relating to the post 2010 story…

Retcon Velika and we get Hero Factory :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m surprised no one’s brought up the gendered tribes thing. That would have been something I would have retconned early on.

Romance not being canon isn’t as big of a deal to me as others, if I had three things to retcon the other two would be the official size of the GSR stated by Greg (because Faber’s concept art size for it is perfectly to scale with the island of Mata Nui and is much more realistic) as well as the population of Metru and Mata nui being only 1000 (because given the surface area of Metru Nui is roughly 50 mi^2 shy of New York City’s, having only 1000 living there would make the place a ghost town).

Only other things I can think of that I dislike are distinct elements not having specific eye colors past 03 (technically 04, but those were all jumbled up) and the color schemes of some of the latter elements (because having blue as the main color for 4 elements is jank, yo).

6 Likes

Ah yes, the GSR size. At the given 40M feet tall, Mata Nui would be as tall as Earth is wide. Just let that sink in. Had he been to scale, Mata Nui wouldn’t have crashed into Aqua Magna. Aqua Magna would have crashed into him.

8 Likes

Aqua Magna is likely much larger than earth.

Well then Bara Magna is massive, and the inhabitants are giants. See, in the last book, Mata Nui thinks about how he went from 40M feet to seven feet tall. But in the final battle, the little guys can clearly see more than the base of Makuta’s foot, so he is definitely not 40M feet. I know they couldn’t show him completely to scale, but even at a realistic size he’s not 40M.

The real answer here of course is that the story writers just pulled out a big number without considering how large it is.

5 Likes

Oh now that you mentioned it, retconing the scaling of things is a must.

2 Likes