Is Ekimu Evil?!?!

To be honest, I briefly glanced at this topic and thought “another conspiracy…”. Surprisingly, though, I thought back to how Ekimu mysyeriously went from decrepit and rusted to shiny and brilliant when he defeated Skull Grinder, and I thought…

What if the destruction of one of Makuta’s minions was staged to empower another?

Add to that the fact that Ekimu callously treated the Toa like morons in the seventeenth episode f the animations when he raised an eyebrow and made a snarky comment toward them, and Ekimu seems like a total jerk.

Remember when Turaga Vakama was set up as the wise elder, then revealed to have been semi-evil back in the era of Web of Shadows?

Doesn’t appear super smart, unless he’s with Makuta.

2 Likes

Yes, but the scenarios are notably different. Vakama was insecure and vulnerable as a Toa, which caused his openness to evil. He became wise after the fact. Ekimu has been established as a character who is wise and benevolent. If LEGO wanted to make him evil without confusing kids, they’d need to have hinted it more overtly than they “have” (in quotes because I don’t believe they have intended to hint at that). All I’m saying is that it made sense story wise that Vakama had that episode of evil. For Ekimu, it doesn’t make as much sense, given the direction they’ve been going…

1 Like

I think it’s more in a Turaga Dume sense. There is an obvious parralel between G2 and the Metru Nui arc of G1.

Protectors were assumed to represent the “Turaga” of G2, right? Ekimu is the SEVENTH protector we’ve met.

Who was the seventh turaga we met in G1?

Every parallel so far between G1 and G2 has been given credibility, why should we dismiss this one?

Also remember something from the animations:

Why is there only one body in the crater?

Yes the scenario is different from a plot perspective but maybe not from a story telling perspective. When the fans saw Vakama become evil, they did see his vulnerability beforehand, but they also remembered his wisdom from the previous arc. While he may not have been very wise in the metru arc, he still was associated by the fans with wisdom. This could be similar to Ekimu because his wisdom is an established trait, but we also see his flaws in regard to withholding information and coming off as cold/clinical.
I would guess that Ekimu is not evil, but the story telling thus far has not definitively disproved the theory, so I suppose time will tell. (I personally hope he is evil because that would be a great plot twist despite the theory’s existence)

The problem I still have with that is that the G1 fans wouldn’t have said, “OMG what a twist! I thought Vakana was just this wise old guy, but he actually turned evil!” Because they knew that the wisdom came later. We wouldn’t be going back in time to see Ekimu have a brush with evil that led him to be wise, we would be seeing a character who is being portrayed as a wise good guy suddenly turn evil for no apparent reason and without many hints. I just can’t see it working out, though the idea is intriguing.

1 Like

I would guess Makuta’s body fell down one of the cracks in the ground seen to be produced by the MoUP. That would explain how he came to be “buried deep beneath Okoto” (according to the graphic novel).

On a more general note, people are complaining that G2’s story is too simple, but then they want a character to be evil just because they seem unfriendly? (Maybe these aren’t the same people, but it still seems like a contradiction.) :confused:

3 Likes

An interesting concept, but remember what the narrative said afterwards. The protectors put both Ekimu and his brother to rest. Where is Makuta’s body then? It certainly wasn’t in the crater, or was it?

It never mentions Makuta after Ekimu knocks his mask off. At least, not in The Legend video.

1 Like

In JTO, or the animations? I recall one of them saying that line.

The animations. I also don’t remember hearing it in JTO.

I remember hearing his brother in that line. Hmm…

Well still, the turaga dume link is there.

(Also wondering if this makes Narmoto the next Lhikan)

Coming from the perspective of a person who does think that G2 could benefit from a more complex storyline, I don’t believe that Ekimu is evil solely because he is unfriendly. I do think that his coarse nature around the Toa could be a subtle sign from the writers, among other dissimilar ones, that he is evil.

3 Likes

Ekimu’s just grumpy that those darn Toa won’t get off his lawn.

6 Likes

Since Battle of the Mask Makers is legitimately out now, we have another source for the era peering at the fall of Makuta within Okoto’s history.

Is Ekimu evil? Let’s see…

Makuta attempts, with good intentions, to create masks that can aid the villagers. Let’s assume, for a minute, that Ekimu suspected an aura of jealousy from Makuta before the creation of the MOUP; when he puts on he mask of time, he’s glancing at the version of the future that he wants to see. If you’ve read the GN, you’ll remember the question curiously posed by the ancient Protector of Ice: "Does it show what will happen, or what may happen?

That guy is onto something. Ekimu saw a vision of Okoto after the apocalypse that he alone created; he had complete control over what happened. He had free will. He saw one possibility in the Vahi, and he made it happen.

This idea doesn’t make Ekimu evil per se, but it does suggest that he made a gigantic mistake.

5 Likes

Perhaps Ekimu is the new Darth Sidious? And he wants the Mask of Control and of Ultimate POWERRR to control an entire universe, like Teridax did when he took control over the MU? Or Ekimu is simply a good person, but that is way too mainstream.

2 Likes

Well I would love this to be the case, but I doubt it.

1 Like

-10/10 not kadihi

1 Like

I mean who else is going to attack the elemental creatures, all of the aggressive creatures we’ve seen were minions of makuta.

It wasn’t really necessary, they already know Makuta has things hunting them down, Makuta seems to have a lot of minions (LoSS, Kulta, and Umarak, which was more doing this thinking that he wanted to use the mask, when Makuta was controlling him)
So after Lewa described that he had big antlers Ekimu knew who it was.

I believe it was stated that the mask would reawaken him, or he wanted it so Umarak wouldn’t get it.[quote=“BBC1Wholock1, post:16, topic:19609”]
is Ekimu going to destroy his Mask of Creation when the Mask of Ultimate Power is destroyed?
[/quote]

Why would he do that? there is no reason to destroy his mask at all, after all he stopped Kulta from doing it. Plus its a plot reason for the new look of the Toa.

Its his mask why would he want to destroy it, especially cause he uses it to control Umarak.

Cause that’s Ekimu’s mask, Ekimu would get more powerful by using it, Kulta did too and Ekimu needed to put the MoC(wow thats an unfortunate acronym) to beat Kulta.

If you pay attention to the web animations YOU NEED TO USE THE GREAT FORGE TO DESTROY MASKS.

THEN WHY DID HE SEND THE TOA, he could just send Umarak to get a creature, the Toa never get sent to save them (and assume they never get the unity masks so they can’t sense the creatures like kopaka did) and all 6 Toa weren’t needed to open the door.
Plus he wanted Umarak to use the mask, listen to his dialogue, he even had a cute pet name for him!

I agree, it looks like Narmoto was decently far away and not paying attention to him.

New VA and the robotic filter.

Yeah, like a chance for the Toa to use their new weapons.

Kulta had enough power to KILL the Toa, so what was the point of Ekimu saving them?

Is he not allowed to be snarky?

He has never been called a protector just a mask maker.

And lets all remember that technically Makuta isn’t EVIL he’s being controlled by the MoUP.

2 Likes

He was jealous and created it, then corrupted by it, it’s not that he’s being controlled by it. He was corrupted from jealous brother to megalomaniac.

I have to agree with you on everything else, Ekimu being a bit hubris doesn’t mean he’s evil. Considering the mask makers were so highly regarded pre-cataclysm I’d be more surprised if he didn’t act as he does.
If Lego does want to make him evil I won’t complain, but it’s not that likely.

2 Likes

Hmm…
I don’t remember this being said.

1 Like