Jaller, Eagle of Ta-Koro

MNOG2-era matoran were always my favorite, mostly for how cute they looked walking around and scratching their heads. MNOG2 was also my first exposure to bionicle and drew me in instantly with the idyllic tropical paradise of Mata Nui rendered in that dreamy, old-school style. To me, MNOG2 was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and so 2003 bionicle will always be the one “true” bionicle era to me.
To (hopefully) conclude my revamps I’m remaking a few matoran based heavily on their roles/appearance in MNOG2 with a nice big splash of what I think they should have looked like. First up is Jaller:

Jaller, Eagle of Ta-Koro
Jaller is not just the captain of the Ta-Koro Guard, but also the island’s bravest fighter and most renowned warrior. The Wall of History burns with tales of his victories against Rahi, Bohrok, and other Matoran in ceremonial combat.

Adorned with blazing golden armor and plumage of the revered fire eagle, Jaller personally leads the charge against the greatest threats to Mata Nui.

Armed with a polished obsidian shield and a fire spear that spurts twin tongues of divine flame, neither Bohrok shell nor the toughest Rahi carapace can stand in his way.

His tenacity and resolve in battle is so widely-known the mere sight of the sacred eagle standard atop his back is enough to lift the heart of Matoran deep in direst distress.

Day after day at the head of the Ta-Koro Guard Jaller keeps the oath he swore at the rim of Mangaia, to keep the island and the Great Spirit’s people safe.

51 Likes

That is a very shiny mask. Nice Moc!

1 Like

Very nice! Though maybe alter the shield to be square, more in line with Roman Soldiers, which I believe is the inspiration here?

3 Likes

I like that you made him gold, rather them yellow. It matches Lhikan’s mask better.

1 Like

This looks phenomaly good!
I love how the gold loooks.

1 Like

Really cool Aztec take on the Ta-Koro Guard!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I’m actually challenging myself to build entirely without western influences! Bionicle was originally based on Maori language and mythology and in the later years took on a much more western-inspired look and sound which I actually thought was unfortunate. So no roman shield for Jaller even though the standard does look a bit Roman-inspired

2 Likes

The intimidation factor is high here.

1 Like

Nice Mocs, my only criticism is the mask on Jallers torso, but beside from that these look great

1 Like

Funny thing, I actually thought it looked more like a Space Marine :stuck_out_tongue:

Which are very Gothic inspired, (though this Chapter is very Greek/Roman inspire)

2 Likes

Cool MOC! Gives me native American and Chinese vibes

2 Likes

perfectly captures the style of its era the Tribal Mata Nui years

1 Like