Jalon, The Temporal Shade (self-moc)

OOMN Files: Jalon, The Temporal Shade
Species: Toa
Element: Shadow
Affiliation: None; formerly the Order of Mata Nui; originally leader of the Toa Korahi
Titles: Universe Killer, Judgement’s Paladin, The Temporal Shade
Personality: Introverted, collected, rational, fiercely loyal
Fighting Style: Well-rounded
Abilities: Complete mastery over shadow, relative timespace manipulation, stealth
Equipment: Dual fighting sticks

Background: Jalon was a Kra-Matoran built in an alternate timeline where Makuta Teridax kills Mata Nui on Bara Magna. He was created to work in the GSR as it traveled and conquered the cosmos. Once little more than a bio-mechanical robot, Jalon’s mind was interfered with by a Great Being seeking to use him to ‘set the timeline right’ by destroying the GSR. Jalon is transformed into a Toa of Shadow by a Toa Stone left over from a survivor of the Battle of Bara Magna, and manages to destroy the GSR’s central processors, effectively destroying his timeline’s Matoran Universe. He is whisked away by a Great Being (though it is unclear if they are the same one that granted him consciousness), and he is summarily gifted the ability to manipulate the relative timestream around him. He is paired with another derelict Toa, and they are sent together to bring harmony to bad timelines, such as his own. Along the way, they end up forming a team of “broken heroes;” the Korahi.

Jalon’s Past State form, his initial form after transformation into a Toa

However, Jalon becomes unfit to lead the team following a series of disruptive mutations to his body by Makuta Mutran during a mission. The team splits, and an unknown entity wipes much of his team out, leaving few survivors. Jalon is eventually discovered by Artahka, who rebuilds the shattered Toa, and Jalon goes on to join the OOMN until the appearance of a new threat causes him to go rogue.

Jalon’s Future State design

The black-armored Future State design is inspired by the Metru build designs of @BobTheDoctor27 as well as the work of axel.bro17 on Instagram, with the nonaquatic Volitak designed by KhingK. I rebuilt the upper arms and did some minor tweaking and improvements to the moc, as well; however, there’s still plenty I’m unsatisfied with, so he’s still far from perfect.

As he mastered his unique Shadow Toa properties, his powers evolved and the color of his elemental energy, combined with his temporal abilities, changed from the raw, unstable red-oranges to a cool, refined blue color.

Please let me know what you think!

28 Likes

Neat MOC, neat backstory, so I’m happy.

not a metru build the shoulders have balljoints/s

2 Likes

Thank you!

oh my cheese you’re so right. I am a fraud and a liar.

1 Like

back story is neat.

the moc is Very nice

2 Likes

They both look really cool, but my favourite is the black and blue one. The colour scheme is more more unified.

Or maybe it’s just because I like blue.

2 Likes

Oh I assure you, the black and blue is my preferred version, as well. I included a picture of the original version for continuity’s sake.

I only have the original built irl. With how many tweaks I have yet to do with the Future State version, it didn’t see it as logical to order the parts, just yet. Also, black Nuva chestplate and Avohkii to paint.

Thanks for your thoughts!

1 Like

Neat work, man! :+1:

How did you get the renders to have realistic scratching on the pieces?

1 Like

Thank you! The secret is stud.io’s scratches feature, turning up the number ratio. Covers the pieces in scratches in the render, makes them look straight out of the early comics.

1 Like