Kardax's Renegade Masks Concept [Unity Era Concept and World building]

Introduction

So this was an idea I introduced to @A2B2C2 and we incorporated it into his pitch and story The Legend of Vakama, definitely worth a read if you have the time. This story was a combination of both our ideas and the basic ideas to the Renegade masks are there but I’ll be explaining them in detail here.

So why? Well, if the cast decides to do G3 brainstorms again, read this: The renegade masks are G3’s version of the Makuta’s and other Immoral masks and even if they don’t canonize The Legend of Vakama, this is still worth canonizing.

What is a Renegade Mask?

So basically, a renegade mask is a mask of power forged out of antidermis rather than purififed protodermis, in the Legend of Vakama, the masks of power are forged primarily by Vakama but then are confiscated by the Toa by the end of the story as they have caused too many issues and are restricted to Toa use only.

They were primarily forged by Vultraz, who located an antidermis spring in a cave discovered by Roodaka, the liquid metal called out to him and he received visions from it, demanding masks to be brought into assistance. The Renegade masks are the Immoral masks from G1 essentially, any power considered to be “evil” would be found in Renegades rather than their regular counterparts.

So how are they forged?

Masks of power are forged from purified protodermis in metallic form, other metals and elements are added to them, the are cooled in a certain way, they are heated at certain temperatures etc. Masks with special powers are forged with more exotic substances and at unbearably hot or freezing temperatures.

A Renegade mask is forged with the identical process but from purified antidermis, the molten antidermis that flowed from the spring was pure, however Vultraz also used it to create weapons, armour, Kanoka disc ammunition and charms.

Mask usage and effects

Each mask has it’s own taboo or immoral ability, ranging from something simple as slowness to corruption or weakness. However these masks come with side effects, the masks are made of antidermis but this doesn’t affect the wearers, the usage of the powers of the masks can. This is called “Corruption”. Now the lower level masks, such as slowness, do not produce high levels of corruption and are not enough to affect a matoran’s judgement completely. Higher level masks like the mask of corruption cause greater levels of corruption and will turn the matoran “evil”, essentially to obey Makuta similar to Ahkmou from G1. The higher level masks in terms of corruption may also have an addicting nature to them, meaning that the user falls into a loop, getting progressively more corrupt in the process. This notably Occurred to Nuhrii due to his full Antidermis armour, mask and weaponry.

Low level masks can corrupt but through a psychological effect, the idea of “hey, I could easily commit a crime and I have to or my family will starve”. They bring up issues of morality and so the wearer becomes more corrupt as they slowly justify the use of the mask more and more.

Generally each Renegade is the “opposite” of it’s counterpart such as speed and slowness but in some cases it can be attributes. Hypnotism and influence have this property, causing the same effect but one is permanent and the other is temporary. With some the differences are a little more simple or quite vague. Invisibility and Blindness both prevent people from seeing the wearer, but with different approaches, whereas Mutation and Adaptation are a matter of choice and consent, one forces change and one temporarily allows it.

Mask List:

Each regular mask and it’s Renegade counterpart:
Low Level corruption:

• Mask of Speed = Mask of Slowness
  • Mask of Amplification = Mask of Silence
  • Mask of Inspiration = Mask of Scavenging
  • Mask of Translation = Mask of Soundproofing
  • Mask of Acrobatics = Mask of Tiring

Mid Level corruption:

• Mask of Water breathing = Mask of Pressure
  • Mask of Attraction = Mask of Repulsion
  • Mask of Hypnosis = Mask of Influence
  • Mask of Serenity = Mask of Disruption
  • Mask of Clarity = Mask of Illusions
  • Mask of Night Vision = Mask of shades
  • Mask of Detection = Mask of Stealth
  • Mask of Accuracy = Mask of Deflection

High Level corruption:

• Mask of Shielding = Mask of Corruption
  • Mask of Strength = Mask of Weakness
  • Mask of X-ray vision = Mask of Deception
  • Mask of Invisibility = Mask of Blindness
  • Mask of Levitation = Mask of Weight
  • Mask of Healing = Mask of Hunger
  • Mask of Adaptation = Mask of Mutation

Dangerously High Level corruption:

• Mask of Fission = Mask of Fusion

New powers appendix

Ok so a bunch of new masks here:

• Amplification: Amplifies the volume of the voice of the wearer, used primarily in police forces to call out criminals, acts as a broadcast system essentially. The volume level has an upper limit of being high enough to not cause permanent damage but temporary damage to a nearby Matoran’s ears.
  • Inspiration: gives the user a new insight into the world and allows them to create magnificent works of art, little use overall but it’s wearers have created the best works of art known to Arthaka in their time.
  • Pressure: The afflicted find it hard to breath, they suffer from altitude sickness as if they had suddenly moved to a great height essentially, this is not the same suffocation as that is a lethal power. The targets are still able to function but to great difficulty, this mask affects the targets psychologically, it causes no physical damage but still puts the targets under great strain.
  • Attraction: Minor telekinesis, only allows objects to come towards the wearer like magnetism, slower if the object is heavier as with telekinesis.
  • Influence: Similar to hypnosis but the effects can be permanent, if one was asked to attack the target, hypnosis would wear off but influence would not necessarily, if someone was instructed to kill a target, they would go to any length to achieve that goal at the risk of their mental health, the more permanent effects can be undone with therapy or something such as a mask of healing.
  • Serenity: creates a calming effect in nearby beings and can eliminate rage and anger to some degree, it can also eliminate or at least lessen ripples or rugged surfaces, to create a “smoothing effect”. Exceptionally enraged beings, such as Rahi, may not be calmed down sufficiently unless the full power of the mask is focused on them, normally it has an area-of-effect use.
  • Clarity: allows for advanced vision in that the wearer can see through mists, fog, water, fire and a little night vision, functioning essentially as a weaker mask of x-ray vision but can only see through minor obstacles.
  • Illusions is different from Illusion: Illusions allows the wearer to create illusions akin to hallucinations that afflict the target rather than make the wearer appear in different forms.
  • shades: creates temporary reduced vision in the target or nearby targets in a small range for an area-of-effect use. Weakens the range of vision and colour perception, not true blindness but more a dimming of sight.
  • Blindness: The target becomes blind, difficult to blind multiple targets at once, blindness ranges from full blacked out vision to “dusty” vision, this does not affect the physical body of the target, the eyes are not harmed.
  • Healing: initiates or accelerates the healing of another being. Requires intense concentration, drains the user of energy, they will often have to sleep after multiple uses and repeated uses can be unhealthy as the user becomes increasingly weakened. Not a one-to-one “life energy” transfer.
  • Weight: Increases the gravity felt by the target, can be minor or can prohibit target from jumping, not a mask of Gravity as it cannot reduce the gravity felt by the target.
  • Soundproofing: Eliminates sounds created by the wearer or eliminates sounds created by close range target. Objects used by the target can make noise if they leave contact, a flame held by the user will not make noise but a projectile leaving the user will.
  • Deception: allows the user to be unnoticed, akin to a perception filter from Doctor Who, the wearer is unnoticed whilst the mask is active but any actions that would draw attention such as shouting or running would break the effect.
  • Deflection: can deflect projectiles or impacts off the user at close range or projectiles will simply glance off the user, dependent on the user’s abilities and proficiency with the mask, there is a higher risk the closer the projectile is deflected. The user cannot guarantee where the projectile will be deflected and so projectiles can hit the surroundings.
  • Adaptation: Allows the user to copy the abilities of another being in the nearby area for a short period of time, longer if closer to the being. These can be abilities or physical traits and will always be on a power level equal to or weaker than the target being, any physical changes can be reversed upon release of the power. The mask cannot adapt to other elemental powers but can allow for resistance to those elements, any mask powers copied are very weak when their powers are adapted.
  • Mutation: Mutates the target to the wearer’s specifications, the wearer must concentrate whilst the mask is active as if they do not maintain complete control over the mutations, the effects may backfire to the wearer. The physical aspects of the mutation can be undone but only if the wearer can envision what the target appear like previously. They could also give them a new but similar form/body.
  • Tiring: Slowly drains the target of energy that the user can access, the user cannot draw more energy than they can contain and they cannot completely drain the energy of a target to kill them, only knock them out.
  • Fission: Allows the user to separate a substance or object into it’s basic components, whether they be materials of a sculpture or components of machinery, allows for minor telekinetic powers in this way. Very rare, Vakama did not release the knowledge of it’s forging to the smiths of Tametru. The effect can be undone if the user wishes but this is increasingly difficult the more combined the original components were, a chemical compound is harder to reassemble than a wood and nail signpost for example. This mask does not work on living beings - this is the only reason this mask is considered moral.
  • Fusion: Allows the user to fuse 2 objects together and no more, the same goes for beings, the user may even fuse themselves with other beings but only one at a time. The being with the more powerful mind can take over the whole if the mask wielder intends this in their fusion, otherwise the 2 minds will fuse together. The fused beings or objects can be unfused but this task is unfathomably difficult, the mask user must locate exactly where one begins and one ends, this can often fail. This mask has not been forged but it was created in a spear for for Nuhrii, if this mask or anything possessing the properties of this mask is damaged, it will result in disastrous consequences.

As always, comments, criticisms and additions are welcome, that’s right! you too can suggest a mask and it’s renegade counterpart to the list! :heart_eyes:

Edit: Added Translation/Soundproofing, Invisibility and deception.
A bit of cleaning and depth done.

• Added Accuracy/Deflection, Adaption and Mutation, Acrobatics and Tiring by suggestion of @A2B2C2
  • Added Fusion/Separation by suggestion of @Bokarda with modified lore based on TLOV story details.

~ Kardax/Pixel

12 Likes

This is a neat idea, I think it should be incorporated.

3 Likes

This sounds like a pretty sweet idea; I like how the corrupted masks parallel moral masks.

2 Likes

huh mask of hunger could compute with a vamprah concept I made and soon I will do others for the brotherhood of makuta

1 Like

This depends because I was discussing G3 makuta ideas with @AntrozT6 I believe and we had a few ideas of how to implement non-Teridax Makuta characters.

1 Like

After reading this, I am reminded of how I described Good Guy’s refusal to wear a mask. Basically, he felt they probably shouldn’t wield such powers.

Now I’m thinking he might have heard of renegade masks, and is against masks entirely now, because of it. XD

4 Likes

That’s how Vakama basically felt after the end of his journey, read now in The Legend of Vakama coming soon to the TTV Message boards right now!

And to really kick him while he’s down, the antidermis that makes these masks he hates could be obtained through lava farming XD

1 Like

Actually in the story we devised, the Antidermis comes from one source, the Molten antidermis spring in the Dark Cave. Now the cave was located in Mangai, far far below the surface but this did not effect Mangaian life.

2 Likes

The Mask of Accuracy: Works exactly like its G1 counterpart, allowing the user minimal telekinetic powers, but only on projectiles that the user propelled. The actual powered masks were banned from Koli matches and other sporting events for giving players an unfair advantage, though decorative powerless versions made of copper are given as trophies to the victors of Koli matches in Motara along with a princely sum of money

The Mask of Deflection: a mid-to-high level corruption renegade mask and the inverse of the Mask of Accuracy. If the user is being targeted by a projectile aided by a mask of Accuracy, the user can reflect it with limited telekinetic and magnetic abilities back towards the user. The results are often fatal to the victims…

Mask of Adaptation: Allows a user to copy the abilities of another being that inhabits the area around the user. Was famously used by Lesovikk/Toa Lewa to bring himself closer to the Rahi he would often visit on trips. Sometimes generates physical, but reversible mutations on the user.

Mask of Mutation: A high tier renegade and inverse of the Mask of Adaptation, as it mutates the target against his or her will. Physical mutations can be undone by the user who initiated the original mutation, provided he has knowledge of the what the being originally looked like, and if he so desires, which is often unlikely…

Mask of Acrobatics: Nicknamed “The Mask of Fate”, it allows limited enhancements to the user’s physical abilities above an average being. Famously used by Orde/Toa Gali both as a fisherman and a Toa. Usually allows users to perform great leaps and dodges.

Mask of Telekinesis: Worn by Zaria/Toa Pohatu during his time as a Motari mercenary and later as a Toa. Allows a user to lift objects within their field of vision or to project force through telekinetic punches or kicks. Is considered a mid level corruption mask due to criminals who will use the powers to seriously maim the victims.

3 Likes

I’d like to suggest my Mask of Fusion for the list.

1 Like

@Bokarda
@A2B2C2

You submissions have been added with a few detail changes.
The masks of acrobatics and telekinesis are both not Renegade masks in my opinion and so I will be searching for alternatives, perhaps Tiring and Hallucination? But that comes close to Illusions. hm…

2 Likes

Before I saw the Mask of Illusion’s powers, I had tossed around an idea in my head of a mask that could induce hallucinations. Not necessarily frightening or even of alternate futures like the Olisi in G1. Imagine something like the penalty games that Yugi would inflict upon the losers of a Shadow Game in the earliest Yu-Gi-Oh manga. An example from the first chapter:

4 Likes

Very interesting idea; I’ll be following this

1 Like

I found myself coming back to this thread and I was just thinking, could the Mask of Time Duplication make a comeback as one of the Dangerously High Tier corruption masks? In G1 it was established that the mask could bring back copies of the user from any point in time, but suppose the user, or one of the copies of the user was killed and ripping the user from a certain important point in time created a time paradox?

On that note, what if the Mask of Dimensional Gates was a corruption of the Mask off Teleportation? Teleporting allows the user to displace themselves, but only towards a location within their field of view. Theoretically, this power could be combined with Telepathy in G1, to teleport someone to a place in their minds eye, but that was a little more risky. Dimensional Gares would allow the user to travel basically anywhere they want, including an alternate universe’s version of the same place. And unlike Teleportation, they don’t actually have to see it. To say nothing of the consequences of messing up other dimensions like with the Shadow Takanuva copies.

Of course I could understand the risk of bringing in a mask of dimensional gates. Excessive parallel universe stories in G1 just seemed to make things needlessly confusing, though it did make for a few entertaining serials. I doubt the G3 team want something that complex

3 Likes

Shouldn’t the Mask of Clarity be the Mask of Truth?

@Bokarda Clarity allows the user to see targets in mist or obscured through minor obstacles, it is sort of a lesser form of a Mask of night vision and a Mask of X ray vision.
I’ll work it out exactly but I may rename it.

@A2B2C2 Time duplication seems like a good candidate but the mask of time duplication needs a normal mask counterpart.

I like the duality of gates and teleporting but yeah, this risks of the messing up and ultimate dimensions. I’ll only add masks that can 100% be added into the canon.

You probably won’t see me adding things up here for a while, I do have some more ideas but I need to work it out, potentially work on some new masks. I have some potential ideas like growth, leaping and possession.

1 Like

Perhaps the major difference between a Mask of Truth and a Mask of Clarity is that the latter deals with physical, or at the very least naturally occurring obstacles. The Mask of Truth simply dispels them if they are an illusion. Say for example, projecting the illusion of a rock face covering a secret passage or fake flames that a mask of Clarity wouldn’t be able to see through? Also, a mask of truth would allow the user to break through veils that are used to obfuscate another being like with the mask of Concealment or Stealth

I figure Time Duplication could be a flip side of the Mask of Time perhaps, in the sense that it allows a user limited interaction with the time stream, whereas the Mask of Time wouldn’t normally allow users to alter past or future events

2 Likes

Hmm, to me Time duplication makes me think of copying/overlaying currently happening events or creating what’s basically a temporary multiverse… pretty certain I’ve seen similar somewhere…

Say the user is about to be hit by an attack or somesuch, basically they activate the mask and ‘overlay’ themselves with a temporary, second timeline, so that one gets hit, but affects the secondary timeline, allowing the ‘original’ timeline to continue on and avoid it.

Of course, this’d either have a cooldown, take a lot of mental strength and/or be very draining to use, but essentially allows the user to avoid lethal attacks a Hau might not even be able to block/bypass opponents that are trying to block them.

So I suppose it’d be either a user only effect or a conscious selection based effect.

3 Likes

Mask of Revealing?

2 Likes