Keos, Strider of the Wastes

Keos was built within just one week for the final round of the 2012 Bio-Cup, vs Nick V and @Monarth.

The category was “Your Best” or, literally, to just come up with something to wow the judges. Unfortunately due to administrative issues the contest ran over another two weeks more than I could give due to my starting at university, and Nick ended up being disqualified. I was so angry with the deadline extension I nearly didn’t enter at all but, in the end, I decided to make the best of a bad job and put together a WIP I had half done already. Far from “my best”, (especially compared to previous entries Lehvak, Senkhrast, Tenum, Bennus and MATRIARCH) but, hey, at least it was something.

Perhaps fittingly, Keos is one of the most unpleasant characters in the Cyclic Plane Storyline.

Keos, also known as “Strider”, is a Dark Hunter operating on a reformed Spherus Magna in the great swathe of desert that still remains between New Atero, Vulcanus, Tajun and Drachen’s Hope.

Wearing the immoral Great Mask of Scavenging, Keos fights a war of endurance against the remaining feral vorox, sustained by their life force. His armour, a relic from his days as a Knight of Spherus Magna, is patched with pieces of vorox shell and wasteland junk.

Keos has long since lost his Toa Tool. His Arc-Focus Engine is faulty and no longer grants him access to the dwindling elemental energy in the world. Instead he wields a double-barreled shotgun and a sword fashioned out of venomous vorox tails.

Keos made his money by selling scrap and vorox parts and guarding caravans like Bennus’ as they crossed the desert. Originally independant, he was quick to side with the Dark Hunters as they muscled in on the area, under the command of the shady figure known only as The Baron. He was often at odds with Tavryn.

A definite example of a hero living long enough to see themselves become the villain, Keos once served under Knight-Commander Irohs, but his defeat by Gloriana during the War of the Weave shamed him and pushed him to the fringes of the empire he inhabits now.

45 Likes

Absolute perfection.

2 Likes

That’s amazing! Neat backstory, too.

1 Like

I’m loving the color scheme here - brown, tan, and the old gold.

1 Like

Been six years, but this still holds surprisingly well.

I kinda wish I had won Bio Cup under better circumstances, but at least it was a good run that year with many intriguing themes and matchups. =]

1 Like

Still, I feel like it’s the penultimate round that really brought out the best in us. :slight_smile:
Red Tide remains one of my favourites from you.

2 Likes

This has to be one of the coolest things I’ve seen on the boards.

Pretty cool I especially like the gun and sword

I do have to agree on that, the semifinals were truly the best round. The fact that I pushed out a bioformer like Red Tide in such a short time makes me wonder how I managed that. (Memory starts to fade on the building process.) It was good how the contest pushed comfort zones back then.

I did try my hand at Bio Cup 2017, but I think the categories were a bit too vague to challenge you with anything specific or push your comfort zones. I did like making my entries, but they didn’t challenge me in any form. The later themes favored system on the other hand. If that repeats this year, there’s probably no room for purists like me anymore…

1 Like

This is really good, the little bits of tan on the legs and sword look a little out of place though.

They’re meant to! He originally would have had a full suit of golden armour, but over time it has worn out and lost pieces that he’s replaced with shells from his Vorox kills.

2 Likes

An exelent moc, I’m always happy to see someone use Metru Brown and Dark Flat Gold, and together they’re even better. I hope to see more of your mocs, old and new, on the boards here.

1 Like

It really looks like he would have armor made of junks. I like him. The color scheme is good, the buil is awesome. I really can’t complain about it. 10/10

1 Like