MATRIARCH

I’m in the midst of my dark age, and I’m not sure when I’ll be able to return to the hobby properly. Ah, the pains of having moved somewhere with no room for MOCing!

That said I’ve also been neglecting this site. There are older MOCs still to post with updated stories, as well as several new ones in the pipeline that I’ve put together back at my parents’. I’ve made it a new year’s resolution to keep my hand in until I can finally get that hobby room set up somewhere. With that said, here’s an oldie.

MATRIARCH was made for the 2012 Bio-Cup’s fourth round. I was pitted against BANJAX with the goal of creating a titan sized bio-MOC that featured hidden weapons. His entry is here.

MATRIARCH is a character in the Tempesta Caelestis storyline, and a member of the Spheroid species.

Spheroids are a curious species. They are all, as the name suggests, spheres. Their surfaces are able to pick up and transmit almost any frequency of light and sound which they use to communicate with. Any limitations their bodies have they build tools, machines and sensors to overcome, using their fine-tuned telekinetic powers and bundles of neural cables that run through their rigs. Spheroid song is regarded almost unanimously as one of the most beautiful things in the known universe.

Though they are living creatures, they bear no resemblance to any other life anywhere, as they were made artificially by a technologically advanced species that now no longer exists. With the loss of their old masters, Spheroids began seeking out new masters amongst the stars by latching onto radio communication signals. Some splinter groups believe that Spheroids should be free, but being programmed to serve, it is difficult to break the mould.

Spheroids then prove a valuable workforce for many civilizations. The “Children of Ako” civilization is no different. From personal servants to industrial units, Spheroids are everywhere. In e’Lekaia, mining for chronodermis is the largest industry, and spheroids in their thousands are employed in it. Much of it is found in inner space asteroids. Kathaman is one of these.

MATRIARCH works deep in the caverns of Kathaman Mine among workers akonian, byte and spheroid. Her mining laser and heavy claws allow large amounts of rock to be moved quickly. She is Neutral - the rarer spheroid gender that is responsible for manufacturing more of its kind - and shares a role akin to “clanmother” of the mine’s spheroid and byte population.

What few are aware of is that MATRIARCH is a believer in Spheroid Freedom. The Vibrant Eye is campaigning for her release, where she will be purchased and then sold to herself. Being a wise spheroid, she knows to keep a few well-hidden weapons in her rig with which to defend herself or escape if need be…

Tubing disguised as life support for the incubation unit on her back can unfold and fire solid projectiles, and the two-thumbed left fist of her rig can also be fired off to reveal a tri-blaster. Neither of these are designed to be used for long, especially since she would likely be disconnected from the mine’s power source should she ever need to use them.

Gigantic, to allow for a Neutral, the cockpit is lined with sensors that respond to her commands. Red nerve cables also radiate out from here for easier control of various components. The green line contains vital fluids for both her nourishment and for supply to the Spheroid Incubation Unit.

The incubation unit acts sort of like a spheroid “egg”, but can be reused many times before wearing out. Within it, new spheroids grow and develop or, if not fertilised by an anionic/cationic spheroid pair, the animalistic bytes develop within instead. As one of the most charismatic neutrals in Kathaman most of her offspring are true spheroids however, including Beta.

MATRIARCH has just been featured on Ven’s MOC Spotlight!

47 Likes

Awesome moc, but I have one question…

…is he going to SMASH the Matriarchy?

This thing is wild. How long did it take you to build? It looks like weeks of work could have gone into this. It’s so imaginative.

Biocup 2012 was held around May, and this moc was built for on Round Four during August. And the description show she was posted around September (so roughly a month of development).

It’s nice to see a unorthodox moc despite being old and vaguely resemble The Shadowed One, I didn’t notice this was female until I read the description.

Texture clash with the amount of Technic and G1 pieces (most noticeably the back leg), the tubing look well place though-

1 Like

My gourd… this is beautiful!
Man, I wish I had both the skills and pieces to make something like this!

How does one achieve such a mastery over the pieces.

1 Like

Very cool, I like the use of the red ball in the head. Keep up the good work and hope to see more from you on here.

Wow this is a super interesting and really cool to look at. Definitely an original moc, I really like how technical it looks with all the silver and grey. It really works here

This is awesome, definitely menacing.

Man. That head really makes it even better…

I find it funny how the prefix “matr” means “mother”, but she’s not even female. Pretty cool though!

Spheroids don’t have chromosomes in the same way, but Neutrals are effectively female. They’re the ones that produce offspring at any rate.

1 Like