Kualus of the Black Ice (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

Here is my interpretation of Toa Hagah Kualus:

Entry photo:

Front view:

Side view:

Back view:

Crouch:

Breakdown of weapons, arms and torso add-ons (the rest of the construction should be obvious from general photos and classical Metru build):

Breakdown of the Mask:

Comparison with Toa Hagah Norik (since I do not have Iruini). They are the same size, the only difference is produced by the mask, otherwise the Metru head, eyes and ball joint locations are the same. If case that is not sufficient, here is also a comparison with Norik using Iruini-style legs. You can see that even with the mask, Iruini would still be slightly taller:

Discussion:

Kualus is my favorite Toa Hagah, so I decided to make only him.
What you see here is Kualus of the Black Ice - named so after the effects of his Sub-zero Spear, which let’s him tap into negative absolute temperatures ( negative Kelvin - a real life phenomenon) to create Black Ice. Since negative absolute temperatures are always “hotter” than any positive temperature, Black ice is unmeltable by any addition of heat, no matter the amount. Despite its potency, Kualus must be catious not to drain himself, beacuse making Black Ice is taxing on his energies.

The Black Ice inspiration is reflected in Kualus’ colorscheme, white and black. This is complimentary with Norik Hagah who also uses large amounts of black in his build, and it incorporates black axles as well.
The metallic color I chose for his armor is silver. I tried to hive him unique armor shape, while still fitting with the other Hagah.

His weapons include a standard Rhotuka launching shield with which he can fire his Sensor Rhotuka. This spinner can receipt any and all sensory input the user would be able to percieve, and thus acts as an extension of Kualus’ senses for reconnaissance.
In his other hand is Sub-zero Spear with afformentioned ability. I wanted to give this spear a unique and recognizable silhouette:

His Great Mask of Rahi Control is in a shape of a previously unseen Great Kanohi. The design is an original custom technic-built contraption. No stress is being applied to any of the parts, except for the ones which are intended to be stressed = the rubber conectors. Maks is a perfect fit and does not wobble.

And that’s it! I hope you like it.

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No

18 Likes

The use of the Toa Ignika shin guards around his shoulder connection is rather interesting, it gives it a nice spikey-ice flow feeling to the armor. But then, by comparison the grilled piece used for chest armor looks squared off and out of place. I could see how this could be altered to be more seemly, though.

2 Likes

I feel like he could use a bit more black on his arms to balance out the color scheme.

1 Like

Thank you @Kanohi_Cantri @darkbrick999 both for the feedback!

I thought the grilled parts could actually be some sort of vents, since they are somewhat hidden and protected on the underside of armor, and since there are other “ribbed” parts on the shield, spear and partially feet, I thought it would fit in that regard too.

As for the black, I tried to balance it to avoid it being too overpowering a.k.a. to not end up halfway between Bomonga and Kualus, and since Hagah need to have the metallic colors there was limited space to work with. So I opted to go with the amount you see. Perhaps I could have allowed myself one more black element, but I did not want to risk it.

1 Like

dun diddly darn swippity swapped the tippy topic to lego creations my dude

2 Likes

Wait was it not in LEGO creations? I must have made a mistake then. Well thank you :laughing:

Maybe you could just switch out the Bohrok eyes for l black ones? That would make the color distribution match between the arms and legs.

1 Like

I guess that could have worked. Thanks for the tip! Though I can’t implement it anymore of course.

I suppose. It may be worth asking the cast if you really think it makes a difference, though. It’s still pretty early.

I do like the spear. I imagine he uses it to catch some rahi in order to help them.

1 Like

Things I do like:
The little black highlights on the legs, the spear shape (I love the unique slihouette)

Things I don’t like:
The mask, I respect the attempt at a custom-build mask, I just don’t like this one, in my opinion
The arms, I’ve never been a fan of that Hordika leg piece, especially as arms.

Overall: not bad, but probably not my first pick, mainly due to the mask.

2 Likes

noice, good luck

2 Likes

Thank you @Geetonguga, @Willess12, @Tarkur for the feedback :+1: It is appreciated!

Just a little background on the mask: I aimed to strike a sort of “sleek technic feel” from the profile, and something reminiscent of tactical headgear or multi-sensor array from the front. The aesthetic may not be exactly to Wilness12’s taste, which is ok of course, but do you have any thoughts on the building technique itself?
I believe I haven’t seen a connection like this before (or if it does exist, I came up with it independently). That was something I was really satisfied with how it came out:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s certainly cleverly designed. As someone who has attempted custom masks of my own, I don’t think I could do any better.

1 Like

Alright the polls are finally here! Greetings from my Kualus:

Highlights of the MOC:

• original armor design, preventing the “clone effect”.

• black highlights enrich the color scheme and follow the narrative constructed for this entry.

• custom built original Kanohi mask.

• custom built original spear tip.

• overall aesthetic is kept simple and in line with existing Hagah.

If you like my interpretation of Kualus, any support and votes are appreciated :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

2 Likes

what part number’s that chestpIate

It is this piece:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=61069&idColor=63#T=C&C=7

2 Likes