Lariska Ideas discussion (canon contest)

I think if she had a tail she would’ve been described as having one.

2 Likes

I am so buying that. Especially for the smaller teal panels in the back.

one of the newly revealed sets has a bunch of teal, could be a boon to anyone seeking to make Lariksa

I already built my entry using pieces from Mindstorms V4 and it’s the best source of teal technic so far. Not impressed that the design team decided to put so much teal in a $400 set though.

1 Like

Probably, yes.

But she was also never explicitly stated to not have a tail, and, as the only known member of her species, there is no one to compare her to.

As such, I don’t think a tail could be disallowed.

Also, general question: is all of this Technic/Mindstorms teal the same teal as from Kongu and the Tarakava?

2 Likes

Technic/Mindstorms teal the same teal as from Kongu and the Tarakava?

Yes, it’s all the same color. If you’re ever in doubt about colors matching, bricklink has a handy color guide that compiles almost every lego part by color. Bricklink classifies “teal” as color 39 “dark turquoise”.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp?_refreshrnd=89273&utm_content=subnav

3 Likes

I absolutely love that idea! Sadly I just think that if she looked like that it would have had some mention-instead she’s referred to normal looking compared to Roodaka. I might try to incorporate part of that-eg inverted legs and thin tail.

2 Likes

I think people should keep in mind that the winner here will se the precedent for an entire new species. As such, I say go as crazy and different as possible- the more variety the better.

2 Likes

I think the fact that Nidhiki had to take a moment to contemplate whether she was a Toa or not means that she’s reminiscent of the stature of a Toa. And honestly whats wrong with that? We actually don’t have many confirmed set appearances for humanoid sized species that wear a Kanohi. I think it would be good for world building purposes to have another species in this niche anyways.

5 Likes

I will restate - as long as we don’t get another Vortixx look-alike species, I’ll probably be happy. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

One thing I would like to add is that I don’t think a model having a Vahki head necessarily should be considered “Vortixx-like” since it is a really useful piece, and out of the like eight different times it’s used on a canon character, only one is actually, well, a Vortixx

Also, I hope the “teal” thing isn’t overemphasized in this round. Greg actually said she was “Dark blue-green” in color. The “Teal” thing comes from someone asking for clarification on whether or not Greg meant “blue AND green” or a mix of the two colors (“teal-ish”) to which Greg clarified as the latter.

Dark “teal” is much closer to Metru blue then the Teal parts we currently have, and remember, Greg said this in response to an idea that she was red in color, which didn’t make sense to him because she spends so much time “hiding in the shadows” so a bright, Tarakava teal color would’nt make much sense either.

7 Likes

This is more my issue with the Vahki head for Lariska. :stuck_out_tongue:

100% agree with this bit though. She needs to look stealthy.

1 Like

To add to this, real-life ninja wore dark blue rather than black as it better blended in with the night sky, so metru blue would be a better substitute for teal.

Granted, BIONICLE never abided by realism, make Lariska bright green if you want, but metru blue would be best for a stealth color scheme.

4 Likes

Yeah but she’s teal, not dark blue.

5 Likes

I was referring to the moc portion of the contest, which would be recolored later.

The problem is LEGO’s teal is rather bright for a stealth character, so art portion could use a darker shade that currently doesn’t exist in LEGO’s color palate.

5 Likes

Color schemes in Bionicle are one of those things that are harder for a character to change about themselves. A character shouldnt be limited in Bionicle to their color scheme for certain tactics/techniques. It can definitely play a role-but it shouldn’t be an all deciding factor.

That’s why I said “could” and not “should”. Just pointing out what might make for the best stealth-based color scheme. As mentioned earlier, BIONICLE always went with rule of cool rather than any semblance of realism. People are free to do whatever they want with their Lariska… within reason, of course.

2 Likes

I think this Teal color chart should help out a bit

Remember, Color is literally a spectrum. Pink is really just very light red, yet it is considered a completely different color. Likewise, this “Teal” chart is really just the various shades of (desaturated) blue green. The top color is the same as the bottom, only lighter, yet the top is a completely different (desaturated) color, Turquoise

11tDX7b9ruL.SX331_BO1,204,203,200

“Teal” lego bricks aren’t really “teal”, they are Turquoise, yet the confusion comes from the spectrum we are talking about

For Greg to say “Dark green blue” that would fundamentally NOT be the “Teal” we see in legos, since the whole color of said bricks comes from being LIGHT green blue. Dark green-blue is, to the human eye, a completely different color (which is why we have two different names, turquoise, and teal)

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

The recolouring thing was unique to Artakha, since sand green is such a rare Lego colour.

You could say the same thing about teal, but, unlike sand green, teal has been used in many Bionicle and Technic sets.

This is a list of all “Technic Parts” that are made in teal:
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=2&q=technic&catLike=W&colorPart=39&sortBy=N&sortAsc=A&catType=P

While this is a list of all “Technic Parts” that have been made in sand green:
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=1&q=technic&catLike=W&colorPart=48&sortBy=N&sortAsc=A&catType=P&v=1

Obviously the contests aren’t constrained to just “Technic Pieces”, and these lists don’t include some Bionicle parts, but there is a general trend that can be acknowledged: most Bionicle MOCs are generally made from Technic-style parts and “Bionicle parts”.

And these lists show that that type of build is much easier with dark turquoise than sand green.

Dark Turquoise is still rare in BIONICLE’s color palate. It only appeared in two sets from 2001, and two from slizer/throwbots. It’s appeared in other technic/system sets, but not everyone has the same access to it.

This is different from the Hagah contest where restricting their colors aren’t that big of a deal. Even with the case of Metru Brown, which was later phased out, it was still a main color for ~three years of BIONICLE. The same can’t be said with teal.

This is a slippery slope here. Some people don’t have access to Lego parts at all. Should the rules be changed to allow them to submit a K’nex model, and then you fix it in the Art Contest?

With Artakha, access to sand green parts was limited by Lego itself, by not making very many parts in the colour.

But with Lariska, Lego has created many relevant parts in dark turquoise; changing the rules because not everyone has them doesn’t really make sense to me.

To this effect, check out the 1:23:00 mark of the newest Nak and Jay:

It isn’t quite the same topic, but it gives you an idea of how they want to run colours.

1 Like