Lego Dreamzzz

I’ve been very excited about a new original theme coming, but with the set pictures finally out, I am honestly kind of disappointed. It’s not that they’re bad… They just look like sets that we’ve already gotten before in other themes like Elves, Nexo Knights and Hidden Side. Nothing particularly stands out to me.
Honestly, just add a few more “ghostly” elements, and this could have easily passed for another Hidden Side wave.
Apparently, Tommy Anderson (the creator of Ninjago) left working on Ninjago after so many years just for this new theme. With that in mind, it seems like a rather big missed opportunity.
Original themes have become less and less prevalent in the passed few years, and whenever we do get a new theme, it just kind of looks the same as stuff we’ve already gotten before.
I really struggle to see how this theme would be able to compete with the juggernaut that is Ninjago in any significant way.

4 Likes

This will be just like Hidden Side… i’s just too strange for kids to know what the heck is goin on with it. I give it a year.

6 Likes

I mean
It’s not that strange

The theme strikes me as something you’d see on World Builder
Kind of a breath air though

6 Likes

I would argue kids do not need to understand the story behind boat shark to appreciate boat shark

10 Likes

(or tiny granny)

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I can get behind the lack of realism in this set: the carrot stick is too short. The turtle-van won’t be motivated to walk forward.

10 Likes

perhaps the carrot isn’t for the van, but for the driver

tiny granny could be an extremely hungry vegan

8 Likes

Don’t forget that the turtle flies, it only needs to look up

6 Likes

I didn’t realize until watching the trailer for the show, but it looks like Mateo has vitiligo, with his dream version turning the lighter parts of his skin green, which is a neat little touch. I think that’s the fourth figure now with vitiligo (one of them being a mini-doll), with all of them being a part of sets in the last 7 months or so

6 Likes

ok but like… is that a BAD thing in a world where cringe culture is dead?

4 Likes

I think there’s a difference between corporations being cringe and the individual being cringe. like, I’m not gonna fault some kid for posting cringe on DeviantArt, but if a corporation creates something visually akin to that, then I have a problem.

2 Likes

I mean the character in question is a middle school-aged artist so if anything I think the aesthetic is fitting

5 Likes

With that description, it totally works.

4 Likes

I am honestly exited for this theme, and had not felt so hyped for a new brick system theme since Monster Fighters. I can see a standard 3-year run, but what is here in the first is satisfactory. My favorite sets among this first wave are the Grimkeeper, and the Dream Village. I am always interested to see monstrous or Halloween-y models and characters. The minifigures are definitely highlights, and the characters are mostly accessible.
I argue that this theme, as does any, should have some 10-15 dollar sets; $25 is sometimes a tall ask for a starter set.
One idea that I had to fill this was a ‘Dreamlings vs. Grimspawn Battle Pack’ that contains a platform that can be rebuilt as a catapult, and includes 6-8 figures split between two variants of both factions (mushroom/greenish Dreamlings and helmeted/winged Grimspawn). I did not create a model at this time.
A few other things that would be good in the future is the addition of a larger cast of civilian characters, especially if they play a part in the show. Structure builds representing different ‘worlds’ are good for keeping the set roster diverse and interesting while keeping the same cast of characters, and the Nightmare Stronghold seems fitting for the largest set both of the final wave, and the theme (as long as it isn’t $400+)
Because of the nature of the Dream World, I can probably expect some fan-made cross overs with other themes. Any you would do?

4 Likes