Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Bionicle Contest

Well that could just be the process taking a while, it can be up to one or two days until it passes through the verification system

1 Like

To clarify, I was asking to find out what they wanted to be stated or how it should be written. I wasnā€™t saying it would be unreasonable. However, it was equally applied between them.

Did you know? Pirates, Western, and several other Lego themes has audio dramas and stories exclusively in German? That there are plenty of comics and books exclusive to a few countries in Europe for all the winning themes. Or that there is lore, stories, drama, and catch phrases in all the lines and themes in these contests? None of them got special treatment in a short paragraph announcing a contest, despite how easy it would be to implement.

3 Likes

This is a pretty neat turn. Having been following this series of 90th Anniversary contests, the ruleset has been pretty similar throughout, including requiring brand new creations, which personally makes sense to me as part of the challenge, as does the contest being for prizes rather than a model to be adapted and sold. I thought the observation @Tarkur was making was something like the Bionicle description reading as ā€œPeople seem to like this theme, go build somethingā€ rather than celebrating with the fans like the other ones. But whatever. I appreciate Lego giving attention to Bionicle, however minor or grudging it may be, and would encourage the Bionicle community to show support for the theme by entering this contest and spreading word of it. Now Iā€™m wondering what to build (something in-universe, or maybe Bionicle representations of other Lego themes?) and whether a system-dominant MOC is more likely to win than a technic/Bionicle-dominant one.

2 Likes

I had considered the possibility, but theyā€™re all the same mechanically. At worst, you could say that Bionicleā€™s was the shortest/most efficient, but with how quickly these contests are coming out and operating, it comes off more as whatever site runner creating all these pages just getting tired rather than lack of care.

But I suppose if anyone wants more comparisons, I collected all the 90th contests in one group, and a second group thatā€™s mixed between other anniversary contests and regular contests on Ideas. They all read with the same corporate and functional tone to me.

LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Contests

CELEBRATING 90 YEARS OF PLAY IN LEGO HOUSE!

ONCE AGAIN, THE LEGO HOUSE ARE LOOKING FOR FANTASTIC BUILDS THAT ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST FOR THE WORLD-FAMOUS HOUSE IN BILLUND, DENMARK.

THIS TIME, WEā€™RE JOINING IN THE CELEBRATIONS FOR THE LEGO GROUPā€™S 90TH ANNIVERSARY AND ASKING YOU TO BUILD CELEBRATORY MODELS THAT ASTOUND VISITORS!

A KIND REMINDER THAT ALL ENTRIES MUST BE ABLE TO BE BUILT PHYSICALLY. YOU MAY BUILD DIGITALLY; IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO BUILD IT WITH REAL BRICKS IF YOUā€™RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO WIN. YOU AND YOUR ENTRY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DO SO.

WEā€™RE CHALLENGING YOU TO BUILD AN ENTRY THAT IS EITHER:

1. MUSICAL: NO GOOD CELEBRATIONS ARE COMPLETE WITHOUT SOME SORT OF MUSIC! YOU COULD BUILD A MARCHING BAND, AWESOME DJ SET OR A RECORD COLLECTION FEATURING LEGO RELATED PUN SONG NAMES. SO LONG AS IT IS SOMETHING RELATED TO MUSIC!

2. FUTURISTIC: THE NEXT 90 YEARS. WHAT WILL TECH LOOK LIKE IN 90 YEARS FROM NOW? HOW WILL HOUSES LOOK? BUILD WHAT YOU IMAGINE THE FUTURE HOLDS.

3. CELEBRATE: THE PREVIOUS 90 YEARS OF THE LEGO GROUP ARE FILLED WITH HISTORY. WHAT CAN YOU BUILD THAT SHOWS OFF YOUR FAVOURITE THING/MOMENT/THEME? WHATEVER IT IS, MAKE IT A CELEBRATION!

A MINIMUM OF 25 WINNERS ACROSS ALL THREE CATEGORIES WILL EACH GET A 21037 LEGO HOUSE SET AS WELL AS THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE THEIR MODEL EXHIBITED AT THE LEGO HOUSE FOR A YEAR, INCLUDING A PERSONALIZED LEGO BRICK WITH NAME AND COUNTRY OF THE BUILDER TO ACCOMPANY THE MODEL.

90TH ANNIVERSARY: MICRO-SCALE CELEBRATIONS!

WE ALL HAVE A FAVOURITE LEGO SET RIGHT?! LIKE, YOUR FAVOURITE LEGO SET OF ALL TIME? COULD YOU BUILD THAT IN MICRO-SCALE TO CELEBRATE THE 90TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE LEGO GROUP?

JOIN IN THE FIRST OF A HANDFUL OF CONTESTS CELEBRATINGā€¦ WHAT WAS IT AGAIN? OH YEAH, OUR 90TH BIRTHDAY!

90TH ANNIVERSARY: CASTLE THEME CELEBRATIONS

CASTLE IS AN ICONIC THEME WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE. RIGHT?! COULD YOU BUILD YOUR FAVORITE CASTLE THEMED SET IN MICRO-SCALE TO CELEBRATE THE 90TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE LEGO GROUP?

JOIN IN THE SECOND CONTEST AS PART OF OUR 90TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS!

90TH ANNIVERSARY: SPACE CELEBRATIONS

EARTH TO SPACE FANā€¦ OVER? ARE YOU RECEIVING? IN OUR THIRD CONTEST TO CELEBRATE OUR 90TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS, WEā€™RE LOOKING FOR YOU TO BE INSPIRED BY EVERYTHING RELATED TO SPACE BUT THIS TIME AROUND YOUā€™VE GOT TO GET REAL CREATIVE AND BUILD YOUR OWN MODELS INSPIRED BY PAST ORIGINAL LEGO SPACE THEMES, COLOURS AND SETS.

YOU COULD FOR INSTANCE BUILD A NEW SPACE BASE OR VEHICLE BASED ON THE COLOURS OF BLACKTRON.

YOUR CREATIONS CAN BE BIG OR SMALL BUT THEY HAVE TO BE ORIGINAL AND MAY NOT BE RELATED TO ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTIES OR REAL SPACE (I.E. NASA, ESA, ETC) AND IT SHOULD NOT BE A DIFFERENTLY SCALED VERSION OF A PAST LEGO SET.

JOIN IN THE THIRD CONTEST AS PART OF OUR 90TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS!

90TH ANNIVERSARY: PIRATE THEME CELEBRATIONS

YARRR, BE YEā€™ PIRATES THEME LOVERS? OUR FOURTH CONTEST BE, TO CELEBRATE THE BEST THE OF PIRATES THEME FOR 'ARRR 90TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS! THE CAPTAIN IS LOOKING FOR YOUR FAVOURITE PIRATE-THEMED CREATION!

Okay maybe not the captain, but LEGO Ideas is!

Your submissions can be recreations of past pirate-themed LEGO sets (but not copies) or your own new creations based on pirates and could even be mashups with other themes (space pirates anyone?). They must be new creations built for this contest and may not contain any intellectual properties or references to them (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean).

90TH ANNIVERSARY: BIONICLE THEME CELEBRATIONS

A THEME CLOSE TO MANY HEARTS, OUR FIFTH CONTEST CELEBRATING THE OUR 90TH BIRTHDAY IS ALL ABOUT THE BIONICLE THEME! SHOW US YOUR LOVE FOR BIONICLE.

Your submissions can be recreations of past Bionicle-themed LEGO sets (but not copies) or your own new creations based on Bionicle and could even be mashups with other themes (Bionicle vs Mixels ?!). They must be new creations built for this contest and may not contain any intellectual properties or references to them (i.e. Marvel).

Other LEGO Ideas Contest samples

CELEBRATE 20 YEARS OF MAGIC WITH LEGO HARRY POTTERā„¢!

THIS YEAR WEā€™RE CELEBRATING TWO DECADES OF LEGO HARRY POTTER AND WHAT BETTER WAY TO MARK THAT OCCASION THAN WITH A CONTEST! WEā€™RE LOOKING FOR A MAGNIFICENTLY MAGICAL CREATIVE BUILD, THAT CELEBRATES EVERYTHING YOU LOVE ABOUT LEGO HARRY POTTER! TO MAKE IT FESTIVE, WE CHALLENGE YOU TO INCLUDE THE NUMBER 20 SOMEWHERE IN YOUR BUILD, BIG OR SMALL.

MAKE SURE YOU SHOW US THE NUMBER IN ONE OF THE PHOTOS YOU SUBMIT IN CASE ITā€™S A MAGICALLY HIDDEN DETAIL.

__

A GALAXY OF CELEBRATIONS

CELEBRATIONS ARE HAPPENING ACROSS THE GALAXY! BUT HOW DO THEY LOOK? WEā€™RE ASKING YOU TO CREATE BRICKFILMS IN THE STAR WARS ā„¢ UNIVERSE, BASED AROUND SOME OF THE BEST ā€˜EARTHā€™ HOLIDAYS!

YOUR BRICKFILM SHOULD RELATE TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING THEMES:

• May the 4th ( Star Wars ā„¢ Day)
  • Fatherā€™s Day
  • Summer Holidays/Back to School
  • Holiday season (Christmas, New Year etc.)

YOUR BRICKFILMS SHOULD BE BETWEEN 15 AND 30 SECONDS AND EITHER FEATURE ROYALTY FREE MUSIC/SOUNDS, USING THE PROVIDED SOUND EFFECTS FROM LUCASFILM (SEE BELOW)OR BE SILENT.

WE WILL BE MAKING THIS LIBRARY OF SOUND EFFECTS FROM LUCASFILM AVAILABLE TO USERS WHO WISH TO USE THE OFFICIAL SOUND EFFECTS. THESE ASSETS MUST ONLY BE USED FOR THIS CONTEST. FOR FULL INFORMATION PLEASE SEE OUR ā€˜FINE PRINTā€™ SECTION OF THIS CONTEST.

FOR THE FIRST TIME, THERE WILL BE A DOUBLE FAN VOTE! THERE WILL BE ONE FAN VOTE TO DECIDE ONE WINNER OF EACH CATEGORY (SEE CATEGORIES ABOVE). THESE FOUR WINNERS WILL THEN GO INTO A SECOND VOTE WITH THE POTENTIAL OF WINNING THE ULTIMATE PRIZE ON TOP OF THE FIRST PRIZE!

OUT OF THIS WORLD SPACE BUILDS!

WE DONā€™T MIND REPEATING GREAT SUCCESSES, SO HEREā€™S TO ANOTHER CHALLENGE WHERE YOUR CREATIVE SPACE BUILD COULD POTENTIALLY TURN INTO A NEW LEGO GIFT WITH PURCHASE SET! WEā€™RE LOOKING FOR AN OUT OF THIS WORLD SPACE BUILD WITH A MINIMUM OF 150 BRICKS AND NO MORE THAN 250 BRICKS.

SO, GET READY FOR TAKEOFF AND SEE IF YOU CAN TAKE THIS ONE TO THE MOON!

THE ROLLING STONES: LEGENDS OF ROCK

THEREā€™S ABSOLUTELY NO DENYING THAT THE ROLLING STONES ARE LEGENDS OF ROCK AND ROLL! WITH THE RELEASE OF THE NEW LEGO ART SET DEPICTING THE FAMOUS TONGUE AND LIPS LOGO, WEā€™RE ASKING YOU TO CREATE MODELS CELEBRATING YOUR FAVORITE SONGS FROM THE BAND. WE LEAVE IT UP TO YOU TO DECIDE HOW OBVIOUS OR ABSTRACT YOUR REFERENCE TO THE SONG WILL BE.

A KIND REMINDER THAT ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST ABIDE BY OUR GUIDELINES. SO PLEASE NO RELIGIOUS REFERENCES, OR REFERENCES TO INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT, MEANING THAT YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER WHICH SONG(S) YOU DECIDE TO REFERENCE. TO READ THESE GUIDELINES IN FULL, PLEASE OPEN THIS LINK.

READY, SET, GO STEM!

SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING AND MATH ARE FOR MOVERS AND SHAKERS, BUT CAN YOU CREATE A SMALL MODEL THAT FEATURES SOME SORT OF MOVEMENT TO STAND THE CHANCE OF BECOMING A REAL LEGO GIFT WITH PURCHASE?

YOUR MODEL SHOULD BE AT MOST 250 BRICKS, WITH A MINIMUM OF 150 BRICKS. YOU CAN USE LEGO TECHNIC ELEMENTS TO MAKE YOUR BUILD MOVE, BUT PLEASE USE PRIMARILY LEGO SYSTEM ELEMENTS.

WEā€™RE NOT LOOKING FOR TOO COMPLEX FUNCTIONS, SO PLEASE KEEP YOUR MOVEMENT SIMPLE. FOR EXAMPLE, A ROTATION, PUSH OR PULL, OR SOMETHING OPENING AND CLOSING. TENSEGRITY BUILDS ARE ALLOWED, BUT THE MODEL SHOULD ALSO WORK AND LOOK NICE WHEN IT IS NOT IN A TENSEGRITY POSITION.

ALTHOUGH WE LOVE CARS, WEā€™RE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT THIS TIME. UP FOR THE CHALLENGE? LETā€™S GO!

1 Like

Only 17 entries so far, hope more is on the way

1 Like

Mine is definitely still on its way. I submitted on Saturday, so maybe they are just showing the ones from Friday?

2 Likes

If only I could actually find my lego Ideas account to log in and enter, but alas

hopefully this contest does well.

7 Likes

just make a new one, or are you just chicken?

4 Likes

Heā€™s afraid that heā€™s too good to enterā€¦

I accidentally made two more trying to find the first one.

lego Ideas is stupid. Iā€™m a CUUSOO fogie; I sometimes prefer those days.

2 Likes

Weā€™re now at the 50 entries milestone.

3 Likes

Yay, I hope vetting speeds up after the pirates contest ending tomorrow

Edit: 34 entries shy of 100 entries

Edit2: correction 30 entries shy of 100

1 Like

7 shy of 100 the game is on

2 Likes

You will have to subtract one of those 93 entries though as its a wrongly entered Pirate moc, still 8 entries shy of 100 isnā€™t bad

Edit: Also if we can get 203 more entries we will surpass the pirates contest entries

1 Like

hot heckity dang

i know right itā€™s almost like lego hates bionicle or something

No, it seems more to me like youā€™re both cherry-picking because you want Lego to hate Bionicle for some reason.

I see absolutely nothing about the contest descriptions that make it seems like Bionicle was given the short end of the stick. If youā€™re really going to start nickel-and-diming it, I suppose that the Space and Pirate contests have some ā€œyarrrā€'s and ā€œoverā€'s thrown in there, but you could have had a 5 year old come up with that.

Are we seriously going to start whining about how ā€œLego hates usā€ because they put an extra 5 seconds into some of the other contests for major (and incredibly generic) themes that Bionicle is currently being put on equal footing with?

Iā€™ve said it before, and Iā€™ll say it again: at the worst - at the absolute worst - Lego simply doesnā€™t care. To think that Lego has some kind of spiteful vendetta against Bionicle gives way too much credit to Lego, and is directly contradicted by the fact that this contest is happening, or that Bionicle was even included in any kind of 90th Anniversary celebration to begin with.

7 Likes

Its only 92 entries now but the wrongly entered pirate entry remains, either my ideas doesnā€™t work or the entry is on the process of being moved. Iā€™m sure we are going to see more entries but it going from 93 to 92 with seemingly no change seems weird

Edit: Iā€™m not saying LEGO is doing something bad its just I want to see this contest get many entries like the other contests.

I was scrolling through five hours ago and saw two entries by you. They looked really cool, hard to choose between Lhikan/Kikanalo and Vakama.

Also, each time I go back to the lost, I see a different selection of entries, sometimes very different, sometimes only a little different. They never seem to list em all at the same time, at least for me.

1 Like

The vakama was made for a different contest but glad you liked both models

Edit: 102 entries now

2 Likes

I submitted mine days ago and it still hasnā€™t been approved, so thatā€™s a bit weird.

3 Likes