Lego Organization (discussion and tips)

In an effort to get back into building after a bit a dry spell in the last few months, I’m planning on rehauling/reorganizing my lego area in the coming weeks.

It’d be nice to get some tips from other people. How do you guys organize your parts?

also please keep in mind that I have a pretty small and primarily system collection, but it is divided into Bionicle/technic and system.

4 Likes

I keep them all in a cardboard box.

2 Likes

I feel like no matter how well organized a collection is, there will always be some sort of bin that’s just relegated to “Loose Pieces”.

3 Likes

“Organization”? What’s that? It sounds made-up to me :stuck_out_tongue:

As you can tell by my sarcasm, I don’t even bother with organizing my Lego collection.

3 Likes

I’d like to think I will have some sort of system figured out in the near future, the plan is to use tackle boxes for the assortment of pins/liftarms/bushels and stackable bins for anything else. (Weapons, limbs, armor, etc.)

2 Likes

I use something like this and sort the pieces by shape in each section. If you have enough of the pieces to put it in multiple sections, the great thing about these is that you can remove the walls.

3 Likes

I once sorted a lot of my parts but that didn’t last long

3 Likes

Yeah the downside to my system is you have to re-sort it every once in a while.

3 Likes

I’ve tried those before, I find that they’re kinda difficult when you’re building on a table. I use these in various sizes currently (although technically “currently” a pretty big chunk of my collection is disorganized). I organized my bricks and plates by color, my other random system pieces by type, my slopes by color, and the technic and Bionicle by type.

2 Likes

yeah, when doing system, do color.

@Winger, I have a challenge for you. Make a system remake of my profile.

3 Likes

Yep. Although space management is sometimes an issue.

2 Likes

there is a big box full of system and a box of the same size for bionicle parts, both have wheels and can stack on top of each other (which is useful since I store them in my room and I build on the living room floor). then there is a smaller box for technic that I put on top of the big boxes. all my minifigs are separated and sorted in small boxes, one for each component, and I have a bowl of parts with stickers and a box of minifig accessories and things with bar-sized handles. When I find a loose part I put it in a bowl and eventually I put it back in its place. Also I have a box with 3d printed components and masks separated based on printed, smoothed or finished.

My brother instead separated his pieces based on color and he had a box of technic and some shoe boxes with wheels and tires

2 Likes

There is no such thing as organization

It’s all chaos

3 Likes

mine isnt currently organised, I really need to sort it though.

2 Likes

I organize in drawers of varying degrees of chaos. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In the past I’ve used divider trays in conjunction with various tubs for larger pieces, but at this point I knock everything over more often than I sort it, so now it’s all just a mess. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

whoops, completely missed this.

I don’t have too many yellow slopes, but I’ll give it a shot and we’ll see.

3 Likes

did anything come out of this?

2 Likes

ngl not really. I’m mostly just moving things around - spreading things out over an extra organizer and probably just having BIONICLE parts in a few mostly disorganized bins.

4 Likes

You foolishly assume I organize by any system other than storage

I used to sort everything by color, but now it’s just “I think that container used to have that piece in it, let me move these other fifteen out of the way to get to it”

1 Like