LEGO World Builder

Yes. It would benefit a LOT of themes. But sadly inflation won’t permit that.

Read what I’m saying. LEGO barely markets any of its themes and they wouldn’t bother to market g3.

3 Likes

“We don’t have any ideas, so here you can make some and we’ll buy it off of you for less money than we should”

3 Likes

Mainly marketing. The simpler story Compared to G1 was fine after Ryder started working on it…well, until JtO finale.

Didn’t help that G1 fans, who they Likely were hoping would be their marketing, were turned off for various reasons (ccbs, simplifying the story, characterization, marketing itself, etc.), and that constraction had lost traction.

2 Likes

Because a lot of very specific mistakes were made, apparently influenced by how Ninjago was handled. Now Lego–and us as well–have hindsight on why that happened.

They don’t have to. Lots of Lego themes have coexisted.

Inflation wasn’t the sole reason G2 sets were pricier than G1. They were also just bigger sets. The Toa Mata were $8 each, and G2’s creatures were $10 while the Toa were $15-$20 a pop. That’s important when the Toa are the main characters that the audience is supposed to get invested in. If G3 has Toa about the size of the creatures, they’ll be similarly affordable to their G1 iterations. That really limits how strong the sets can be, given that budget and piece count, but it also makes the line more accessible.

2 Likes

LEGO didn’t seem to have any problem making ccbs star wars figures RIGHT when bionicle first launched. I still don’t understand how LEGO made this mistake and I have no doubt they’d make this again.

They also won’t make cheaper sets.

4 Likes

Whether they will or won’t do either of these given the chance isn’t something that can be proven or disproven at this time. It’s all hypothetical and essentially a teacup around Saturn–but, again, they have hindsight, among other factors we probably haven’t even thought of. They have the perspective needed to avoid these mistakes, we simply can’t know what they’ll do with that.

4 Likes

They had the perspective of 10 years worth of bionicle years and bungled it. Kids don’t want action figures anymore, let alone bionicles.

1 Like

It’s almost as if no one has suggested system bionicle.

Wait…

3 Likes

I’m way more interested in an exo-force reboot than another bad bionicle reboot.
g2 didn’t even get a full 3 years, lego clearly doesn’t care about it, why do you want them to kill it again? you think they’ll magically care the third time?

A new exo-force, or even a spiritual successor, would be more refreshing, and would more likely sell well, certainly better than bionicle.

6 Likes

There were multiple factors behind this, not just raw incompetence.

Kids don’t want action figures anymore, let alone bionicles.

You don’t know that. I don’t know that. The toy industry isn’t exactly dead, in any case; and if it does go kaput, Lego will have to adapt anyway–which will only benefit Bionicle.

And whether or not they will make these mistakes (both are possible) doesn’t affect what we do with this new platform. We can take things into our own hands now, and while it’s unlikely that we’ll get Lego’s attention and approval, we can at least come together and try to get something done, fruitful or not. Then we can say, “Hey, we actually made something and put it out there, whether we got an official line or nah.”

Well it’s a good thing we’re not advocating for a bad one, then.

It has to come back for it to die again. Bionicle has never gotten to end properly; I’m interested in a 3-year run that begins and ends as planned and doesn’t suck.

I mean, some Lego staff have expressed a desire to bring Bionicle back again in interviews. This obviously may not represent a majority of the company, but it does show that the entirety of Lego lacks regard for the franchise.

Based on…what, exactly? Sure, we could do with another mech theme (if Ninjago stops hogging that gimmick…), but there’s no guarantee that it’ll be better than any Bionicle prospects. And, again, there’s no need for only one to exist. They don’t even need to be made at the same time; one can have its 3-year run, and then the next can do so.

2 Likes

literally only two current set designers remotely care about bionicle

3 Likes

The thing with them bringing Bionicle back is mainly 1) we have to show there’s still interest in the theme (after all, Ninjago came back), and 2) we have to show we’re willing to buy it or that it’ll sell. Part of G2’s problem? Apparently not enough people wanted to buy it, especially old fans, it seems, for various reasons. They’d have to see that they can actually sell the theme again.

It might not be that they don’t care necessarily (though they had a very limited story bible for G2, so that doesn’t help), but that they don’t think people want it to come back after people didn’t buy G2.

To each their own.

1 Like

…That we’ve heard. The rest is hypothetical. It’s also worth nothing that Bionicle isn’t really active atm, so Lego has no practical investment yet. Of course not as many of them care, it doesn’t currently exist.

And for corn’s sake, one of you change your pfp! I can’t tell you apart!

nO ONE bought the ccbs star wars figures. AFOLs don’t want 'em. Kids cannot afford them. Especially not when they can both save for the more expensive system sets. I know for certain no one wants them because both starwars, bionicle, hero factory, ben10, and galidor aren’t here anymore.

there’s literally just 2 guys who like bionicle at the lego group. EVERYONE who worked on g1 is long gone, save for Greg who I can surmise does not care as much as you.

1 Like

you honestly think that’s not exactly what you’ll get?
lego
doesn’t
care

you mean “imaginary”

no.

3 Likes

Which is a problem intrinsic to the SW theme, which also now has to deal with SW’s declining popularity in the wake of the Suckquels. Bionicle had different afflictions that were more avoidable.

I don’t really care what Greg thinks, nor do I want him on the project.

You say this like Lego isn’t a corporation. Given the chance, as well as nostalgia to exploit, Bionicle can be a financial asset. It’s not making money now, so Lego doesn’t care. If they make any theme, its well-being will directly impact their bottom line. Putting actual effort into Bionicle, or anything, benefits Lego–and being that Bionicle already exists, Lego has to spend less time coming up with new stuff out of thin air to get a theme off the ground.

And if you’re right and Lego absolutely lacks the capability to handle Bionicle, I’d like to see it for myself. If Bionicle comes back again but it sucks, and we’ll never get it at its potential best, so ■■■■■■■ what? Then I know for sure and at least get some closure, so while I won’t be happy, I’ll still have something to show for it and can go on and, idk, write a YA novel series that rips off Bionicle and delivers on its concepts better. Yeah, Lego CAN make some major mistakes and CAN ■■■■ it up harder than ever before…but that possibility, real though it may be, isn’t a reason for them to just give up and not try as far as I’m concerned. No skin off my nose if a big company has yet another business venture that doesn’t work out.

Everything’s imaginary until we hear about it. Again, it’s a teacup around Saturn.

ur mom

2 Likes

THEY ALREADY MADE A G2
THEY DIDN’T CARE
IT DIED EARLY

the absolute denial in this community.

3 Likes

It’s time to move on from bionicile and explore other fandoms

on lego world builder

5 Likes

Yeah, it died early because of multiple factors beyond raw apathy and incompetence. The marketing and budget were evidently impacted by the un-cancellation of Ninjago, which sucked out a lot of resources. You really think Lego didn’t want G2 to do well when it was something they had to put money and man-hours into? If they never cared in some capacity (surely not in the way we care about Bionicle, but “cared” in the sense that they wanted it to work out somehow), why were they ever gonna bother to bring it back?

They goofed once. That doesn’t mean they’re only capable of goofing.

4 Likes

yes.

1 Like