Location size comparisons in Google Earth. Updated - the size of Voya Nui.

So a Nova Blast is a literal nuke, got it.

9 Likes

This is an awesome topic! I’m glad we can finally get a real sense of scale for these places!

In particular, I find your size estimate for the Great Spirit Robot to be a lot better than the given estimate! A robot that can fit into the Pacific Ocean is still gargantuan!

The only thing that still baffles me is how small Metru-Nui is. The Turaga all remember it as this grand, sprawling metropolis, but seeing that it didn’t even cover a tenth of the percentage of land on Mata-Nui really makes it seem underwhelming.

That being said, I’ve always imagined each Metru as being about as large as the largest Earth cities and not so much all 6 being the size of an average Earth city. But I suppose the entire island is called the “City of Legends.”

5 Likes

I can just imagine the in-universe explanation…

20 Likes

Great work on the topic! As to the inconsistency between Island size and robot size, we always knew it was there. It is the result of robots size being changed several times during story development, while size of Mata Nui island was modeled after Denmark and then stayed the same.
But officially given sizes are canon, so the best advice is to just deal with it.

Also to partially answer the question in the title “Destructive power of a Nova Blast”, here is something I did a while ago - the minimal blast area of Nova Blast and its minimal spherical volume:

It nicely fits with what Gali used on Karzahni, which has similar size.

8 Likes

It also fits with Jaller and how his Nova Blast “might have destroyed the city”.
Considering his element is fire, and this map, that would probably have been accurate.

6 Likes

How about Voya Nui? I was kinda disappointed not to see it in here.

As if this topic that I made wasn’t enough:

And, like I said in the aforementioned topic, that robot could NOT exist. At all.

So, in other words, everyone when they go back to their old elementary school.

8 Likes

B-but that was a joke…

4 Likes

Sadly, no official size has been given for Voya Nui. I’ve heard of an alleged image showing Voya Nui next to Mata Nui and Metru Nui for scale, but I haven’t been able to track it down myself. If I do find it, I’ll update the post.

4 Likes

… in the real world, sure.

3 Likes

So basicly the toa have the power of a nuke. Nice.

2 Likes

Nuva specifically.

2 Likes

Well, there’s this, but I’m not sure I’d trust the scale here:

Voya Nui is right there, as part of the Southern Continent.

But this may be what those people were referring to: Faber Files: Tribute to all Bionicle fans and BZPower

Note the “floating island.”

5 Likes

Yes, that second image is the one. I just have to take the time to actually do it, lol

3 Likes

Finally, time for that Voya Nui update!

Based on the proportions present in this image, Voya Nui is 9.75 km from its southern tip to the southern tip of the Voya Nui bay. Its western arm is approximately 27.75 km long, and its eastern is about 20.5 km. The distance between the tips of the arms is 7.5 km, and the bay is about 18 km long (measured from its southern tip to the midpoint between the tips of the arms). The island’s widest contiguous point, just south of the Voya Nui Bay, is about 11.5 km. The diameter of Mt. Valmai varies from 2 km to 2.5 km. Here are some comparisons:

Voya Nui, to scale, next to Mata Nui.

Voya Nui, to scale, next to Metru Nui.

All three islands.

Voya Nui compared to the Great Spirit Robot.

Voya Nui fits inside Naho Bay.

Voya Nui near New York City and Long Island.

Voya Nui in Lake Michigan, near Chicago.

Voya Nui’s mainland stretches from the shore of Lake Michigan to Chicago’s Garfield Park.

Does anyone have any requests for comparisons they’d like to see?

19 Likes

Wow, its unbelivably small. Too small IMO

5 Likes

Dang, didn’t think Voya Nui was that small. Would not have expected it to fit comfortably in Naho Bay like it does.

I’d be interested in seeing comparisons to the Hawaiian islands.

5 Likes

so now there’s just a tiny hole in Mata Nui’s chest?

2 Likes

Check these out. Somehow, it’s surprising how much larger Mata Nui is than Hawaii.

7 Likes

that’s so crazy

1 Like

Thanks for doing that, especially so quickly! I was expecting Voya Nui to be around the same size as them, so that’s surprising. And Mata Nui just dwarfs everything :laughing:

2 Likes