Looking for thoughts/opinions [Tuyet & Orde contest entries]

I’ve been working on my entries for some of the upcoming contests, and I’ve reached a bit of an impasse on some creative choices for Tuyet and Orde specifically, so I’m making this post to try and get some feedback.

For Tuyet, I went with an RSG mask for my previous personal version of her, but since RSG masks & masks painted in more than one color are both not allowed, I decided to give my entry Tuyet a mask Galva_ made for Gaaki (which lost) as I think it’s a pretty good option for her, and he and others agreed with that idea.

And for Orde, I went with a heavily modified/refined version of the Helryx build, since the both of them are very old Toa built by the Great Beings, and who were never Matoran at any point. I also borrowed the finger design from Bukkey, as It’s my favorite part of his Orde and I think it works great here too.

For the actual mocs though, here’s how my Tuyet & Orde look right now:

(Who’s who should hopefully be clear)

For the issue at hand with Tuyet, I prefer her with metru gold armor personally. I really like the color, I think it works well with metru blue & black, and it adds some nice common ground with Lhikan. However, blue and gold is of course the color scheme for Psionics too, so while it’s possible for Tuyet to use it I totally understand that a lot of people might not like that, so I’ve got a silver version as well, using all the same parts but in the other color. Here are the two possible versions of my Tuyet, which I’d like to hear feedback on along with a color preference:

The Tuyets

• Gold armor for Tuyet
  • Silver armor for Tuyet

0 voters

Next thing is the mask choice for Orde. The Sanok is a very popular choice for him, and I’ve got Galva_'s Sanok variant on him right now, but I’m not really married to anything in particular. For a more specific choice though, right now I’m between Galva_'s Sanok, and the official metru blue Great Ruru. On the one hand, the Sanok looks nice and (in this case at least) is a design not used by anyone else in canon, which would make Orde feel more unique and like his own person, visually. On the other hand, since his mask power is unknown and can be pretty much anything within reason, there could also be a portion of people who would prefer he be an entirely purist build, in which case I feel like the Ruru would be the best. So like with Tuyet above, here are photos of the two options and a poll to put your thoughts into hard numbers:

The Ordes

• Great Sanok variant for Orde
  • Great Ruru for Orde

0 voters

Also, feel free to leave any feedback or additional comments in the replies here, I’ll be sure to read all of them and take thoughts outside of these polls into account.

29 Likes

I would get rid of the shoulder mod on Tuyet but otherwise both of these are really good takes.

1 Like

They look pretty cool and Tuyets mask is the correct choice, I would use that one too.

2 Likes

With what it seems like you’re going for, Tuyet is perfect. My concern, if I were you, would be differentiating yourself from other entries - it seems like the majority of your MOC is going to be the same as a lot of others, excepting the skirt and mask.

Shockingly (at least for me), I’d suggest going with gold on Tuyet. Forget psionics, the gold and blue is just such a visually engaging scheme compared to silver, and there’s grace because it’s a Tuyet rendition, and not just a random Toa of Water. I would love to see a shot with her standing next to Lhikan.

Orde is a bit more complex in its build, which I like, and I do like that style of hand. At far as mask goes, I’d go with the Sanok, for propaganda because the Ruru makes him look a little close to Helryx.

11 Likes

Changed Category
-Heyzorks
I like the use of gold on Tuyet, though she looks a bit psionics-y now.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want Tuyet to have gold armor not really because of the psionics toa color discrepancy, but because it makes her look a bit too similar to Lhikan. Since they’re supposed to be from different islands and just for diversity among the mangai.

2 Likes

very nice
I’d prefer Tuyet with silver armor because with the gold I think it makes her look a lot like a Toa of Psionics. Also I like the Ruru better on Orde just because I think it’d make a better mask power.
Those being said these mocs look awesome.

I think the mask for tuyet is too similar to the mask that was canonized for gaaki. SpecterL’s canonized mask drew a lot from Galva’s. Unless you are implying that gaaki’s mask was made in the shape of the mask of intangibility or another variation of it like a noble or regional variant of it.

3 Likes

Tuyets arms feel short and skinny, and that looks odd compared to the rest of the build.

Order should have post-04 style feet so you can have a little black in his ankles to break up the blue.

I can’t think of other feedback atm. Will keep you posted.

Agree here, I think it’d be better if we could make Gaaki’s mask specifically a Mask of Intangibility rather than a mask that looks a lot like it

1 Like

I definitely considered that, and this mask could still be seen that way loosely in headcanons, but ultimately I just really liked this design way more.

5 Likes

Agree with this idea here-- your color distribution is on point until you reach the feet. I would’ve suggested using gold Mata feet, but the idea of using black connectors + gold Metru feet actually does look more visually balanced.

Both takes look well constructed for what you’re going for, and I wouldn’t change a dang thing if I were you, as long as you’re satisfied yourself with how you’ve executed your visions of both Toa.

Cheers, and godspeed at the Contests, @Minirigby!! :beers:

2 Likes

Overall, nice mocs. I like the way you did Tuyet’s skirt thingy

Another option would be to use Golden Hordika feet

Also here’s a bonus as a thanks to everyone for responding:

Tuyet, the Ga-Matoran archeologist, shortly after unearthing the Nui Stone from an old ruin on her home island

17 Likes

Neat, that’s a pretty nice explanation.
The Matoran moc is cool as well

2 Likes

This is my favourite Orde so far. There’s just something effortlessly cool about him, despite being fairly simple. I think it’s the colour blocking.

4 Likes

I like that Orde, maybe you could buff his vahki legs somewhat, or maybe change them for something more hm… smooth? Texture of those lower legs kinda clashes with forearms, torso and masks.

1 Like

On the contrary, I think the textures are distributed quite well.

There’s a common pattern in the chest, pauldrons, thigh armor, legs, feet, and forearms-- stripes/serrations. The Mata Feet(toes), Vahki Shins(sides), G2 Armor(sides), and Hau(cheeks) all have similar textures, and they even match up with this Sanok in particular as well(its cheek serrations).

I think it’s got quite the overall texture coherency.

3 Likes

Glad someone picked up on that! I’ve noticed for a while now that the vahki shins uses the same grate texture as the sides of the mata foot (probably because they were designed for the vahki, who also use mata feet too). And the idea to use stars haus to match with the gold uniter pieces came from @SubParFauxPas a while back, if I remember right.
(you could also include the gears in his shoulders and the tubing behind his arms and on his weapon shaft too, but maybe that’s stretching it a bit far :stuck_out_tongue:)

Also for anyone still watching this thread, here’s another opinion poll that doesn’t relate to my Tuyet per say, but is something I’d like to see where people stand on anyway while I’ve got your attention here. This one isn’t as important to answer, but if anyone has an opinion feel free to make it known:

Do you believe Tuyet should look evil/edgy and like an obvious villain, or more like a normal toa who fits in with the rest, with only a little bit of edge, if any?

• Tuyet should look evil/edgy/dark
  • Tuyet shouldn’t look too much more edgy than any other Toa

0 voters

1 Like

Idr think it matters to me all that much whether she looks evil or not, you know? imo she’d work either way.

On the one hand, she’s a twist villain, so it would be neat if she looked like she could reasonably fool Lhikan. Crafting a Tuyet that could look like an average Toa while secretly being a serial killer could imply something about her cunning, giving her a more insidious evil. It could work well.

On the other hand based on the text alone, Tuyet is probably one of the least shocking “twist” villains of all time. Her introductory serial is named after her killing people. Tuyet is about as morally complex as a c-level Batman villain and very few of them look like they could work as twist villains. These reasons could support an interpretation that just decides to make her look evil from the getgo, leaning into the more extreme design language that “evil” entails. I gotta admit; it would be neat to have an “evil” Toa build, whatever that looks like.

But yeah, I think either interpretation is valid.

5 Likes