Lord Atlan, Explorer and Naturalist (and my self moc!)

Lord Atlan

Species: Familiar
Element: N/A
Kanohi: Akaku, Great Mask of X-Ray Vision; Okeanos, Elemental Mask of Water; Rau, Great Mask of Translation; Ruru, Great Mask of Night Vision; Sirwi, Great Mask of Rahi Control; and Kaukau, Great Mask of Water-Breathing
Weapon(s): Sabre of the Ancient Mariner
Abilities: Access to the Chameleon, Rahi Control, Insect Control, and Weather Control Kraata Powers at stage three; Can see through solid objects; Has control over Water (though not to the degree of a Ga-Toa); Understands almost any form of communication; Can see in near-total darkness; Can influence the minds of Rahi; Can breathe underwater
Affiliation(s): Explorers Three; Brotherhood of Makuta (formerly)

Atlan is a Familiar. What exactly is a Familiar, you ask? I will explain in more depth in a later post, but in short they are smaller, weaker versions of Makuta made from a Makuta’s essence. Each Makuta can only make one Familiar, as otherwise they will lose too much of themselves. Because Familiars are not as “pure” or powerful as a Makuta, they did not become beings of energy like their creators.

Atlan’s creator was an ocean-dwelling Makuta so ancient, his name has been all but forgotten. What is known is that he was massive, as large as a Razor Whale, he never went on land, and he made dozens upon dozens of sea-going Rahi. His immense size is likely why Atlan is as large as he is - most Familiars are only about as tall as a Matoran, while Atlan is only slightly shorter than a Toa.

In his early days, Atlan traversed the seas of the Matoran Universe with his creator, helping to develop and study numerous Rahi. Then, one day (around 90,000 years before the Reformation), the Makuta contracted a deadly illness and passed away. This was earth-shattering news to the Brotherhood, as never before had a Makuta died. Many years later, when Teridax eventually took over, he scrubbed all records of this Makuta’s existence to ensure that no one else knew Makuta even could die. Before he passed, though, the Makuta freed Atlan from servitude and wiped his memory. With little knowledge of anything, Atlan went out into the world.

It wasn’t long before Atlan fell in love with the deep blue sea. Much like before he was freed, he started to explore it and discover its wonders. He procured a fast wooden sailing ship which he called the Voyager and hired a crew of sailors and scientists to accompany him. The title of Captain Atlan fit him well, though eventually he would shed it for the more noble title of Lord Atlan.

One of his earliest crewmates was someone like him - a being who looked like a Toa but wasn’t. She was a Proto-Toa, one of three that existed. Her name was Xeta, and she was filled by a wanderlust that could rival Atlan’s. Unfortunately she disappeared one night while they were docked at Metru Nui. Despite Atlan’s best efforts, he couldn’t find her, and had to accept that she was lost.

Together with his crew, Lord Atlan made a staggering number of discoveries. Many of these were related to the ocean, whether they be new Rahi species, observations of currents, or evidence of lost civilizations. They also discovered a few uninhabited islands and made contact with a few isolated species. Of course, they didn’t just spend their time sailing the universe - they also braved its dense jungles, blistering deserts, and snow-capped peaks.

During his travels, Atlan came across a number of fascinating individuals, locations, objects (such as his sword, many masks, and a Suva that allowed him to use them all), and creatures. He met and formed a good relationship with the mysterious chronicler known as Arc. Arc was not nearly as interested in biology or exploration as Atlan, but both of them were intellectuals, and so they got along well. More notable was Atlan’s rediscovery of Xeta, who seemed incredibly traumatized and now sported strange shadow powers that were eating her alive. With the help of Arc and a strange mechanic, Atlan was able to build a suit for Xeta that would suppress her powers. Afterwards, she disappeared once again.

After tens of thousands of years of exploring, there wasn’t a whole lot left for Atlan or his crew to find. A few of his crewmen, including his navigator and some scientists, parted ways in search of newer and greener pastures. While docked at Metru Nui in search of new crewmates, Atlan met Onduc, an Onu-Matoran geologist whose knowledge of rocks and minerals was practically unparalleled. Like with Arc, although the two scientists’ specialties were different, they were able to bond over their love of the natural world. After a few more visits to Metru Nui, Atlan was able to convince Onduc to leave the Archives and sail with him. It was lucky that Onduc eventually agreed, as only 1500 years later Teridax would start herding the citizens of Metru Nui into stasis spheres.

Another 500 years later, Atlan encountered another naturalist. The azure explorer was crossing the jungle in the Northern Continent when he came across a Toa of Plantlife. She gave him a fake name and said she was a fellow naturalist and explorer, though only recently did she find that way of life. Her specialty was, fittingly, in botany and herbology. Atlan managed to convince her, as well, to join his crew. Over time, she grew to trust Atlan, and revealed that her real name was Bellara and she was the last surviving Toa Mangai.

Atlan, Bellara, and Onduc became great friends as they sailed and explored together. They called themselves the Explorers Three. The world they traveled, though, was becoming increasingly hostile and turbulent. The Brotherhood and the Dark Hunters were at war, the Great Spirit was put to sleep, and soon a new faction calling themselves the Order of Mata Nui entered the fray. So began the Destiny War, a conflict that Atlan and his crew luckily was able to avoid. They were not so lucky when Teridax took over the Matoran Universe. Atlan, who was beginning to learn of his true nature, was targeted by Teridax’s forces a number of times. Luckily the universe’s new god was too busy with more important matters to deal with the Familiar himself, so Atlan managed to avoid or outwit Rahkshi troupes and Visorak squads.

All of this hardship would lead to the single best moment of Atlan’s life: he sailed his ship through a hole in the Matoran Universe’s edge and found himself in an entirely new world. This world, Spherus Magna, was ripe for exploration. At long last, Atlan could again sail unknown seas and encounter new Rahi. It was a dream come true.

Following the Reformation, the Explorers Three split up. Though they tried to stick together at first, they soon realized that bickering over where to explore was souring their friendship, and so they parted ways. Bellara was eager to explore the Bota Jungle, Onduc wanted to search for cave systems, and of course Atlan only wanted to go sailing and diving. His ultimate adversary was the so-called “Uncharted Sea”, characterized by extremely choppy waves, large & dangerous creatures, and a massive, unending storm. Atlan’s goal now is to chart the Uncharted Sea. Although he still has yet to achieve this goal, he’s been plunging further and further into its waters on each voyage. Surely it won’t be long now.

And here are some renders of him using his masks:

16 Likes

Ah this moc looks pretty good! I like the color scheme, while there’s multiple shades of blue I wouldn’t say they clash in any major way. The build itself is simple, but that’s not bad. The sword is cool as well, but what I really like is that lore. You’ve certainly got a very nicely written story for this guy. Really well done!

3 Likes

looks pretty cool!

4 Likes

@Enbeanie Is this a relative of yours?

Honestly while the build may be simple, it works really well for this build. Good job.

4 Likes

Probably not, but i do love a bonkle with a top hat
Good moc!

6 Likes

Looks really cool

4 Likes

Thank you all for the praise!

I counted, and he uses 6-7 shades of blue depending on if his back fins are attached. I think that going overboard with the amount of shades present is what makes it work; it wouldn’t mesh nearly as well if there were only 3 or 4.

Atlan’s original model is quite old, from before I started making more complicated mocs. I agree, though, that the simplicity does work, which is why I haven’t revamped him and probably won’t (I also don’t want all the many pictures I’ve taken of him to become obsolete lol).

4 Likes

Fair enough, the pictures on the beach and with the fish do look really nice.

4 Likes

Aww, that’s a nice leg design. Those hf limbs are hard to use.

5 Likes

Very dapper

3 Likes

That neck design is clever, I may have to steal – er, borrow it.

4 Likes