Lost Chronicles -- A Tabletop RPG Homebrew

Yes. I am finally doing something for the community. Yay!

Sure; youā€™ll be the first to get a look at the ruleset once weā€™ve put the basics in writing. Also, since I havenā€™t thoroughly read any of the G2 books, we could definitely use a ā€˜canon consultant,ā€™ especially regarding the lives and occupations typical of each tribe (for background purposes).

I thought being the resident gif-master was already a prestigious positionā€¦ :grin:

There are many honors that come with it.

Hey Takuma, I have one more question regarding Dual-Wielding. There are a lot of Feats for it, and some of them explicitly mention each other, but I want to clear up one point of confusion:

When you attack with an off-hand weapon, you have a -20 penalty to Melee or Ranged. Having Ambidextrous eliminates this penalty. Now, the Dual-Wielder Ranged feat says that you may fire both of your weapons at the same time, at a -20 penalty. Having ambidextrous reduces this penalty to -10, and taking the Pistol-Slinger feat reduces it by another 10 (eliminating it).

My question is: If you use Dual-Wielder and/or Pistol Slinger without Ambidextrous, you still have a stacking off-hand penalty, correct? Meaning that if you only have Dual-Wielder, your standard two-shot attack would have -20 from multiple attacks, and then another -20 on the off-hand weaponā€™s shot? If you added Pistol-Slinger, you would have a -10 penalty on the primary and -30 on off-hand?

Iā€™m mostly breaking this down piece by piece to preserve my own train of thoughtā€¦

Correct

Correct

Yup

Yes. (Good grief, this stuff is all over the place in this book.)

As I understand it from the rules I shamelessly ripped off, yes.

1 Like

Yesterday we played a session using this ruleset. Here are a few things we wondered about:

When using a semi-auto or full auto attack, you fire multiple projectiles. When calculating damage to the target, is damage reduction (Armor and Toughness) applied individually to each shot, or only once to the combined damage value?

The rule set gives some distance in single-digit Bio, which I have assumed to be ā€œone squareā€ due to the conversion from Bio to feet. This works fine for movement, and for attacks such as the Chain melee weapon, which has a 2 Bio range (+1 square, essentially). Powers, however, suddenly lists range as ā€œ100 bioā€ or ā€œ150 bioā€. Should we assume these can hit anywhere on the battle map, and that the max range only really factors in outside of combat?

Ranged weapons tend to have a range of 50 bio. They gain bonuses or penalties when fired outside this range. ā€œShort rangeā€, which would be 25 bio, gives a +10 to hit. As 25 bio (compared to other ranges) would be something like 25 squares on the map, how do I handle this in combat?

ā€œPoint blankā€ is easily understood, as itā€™s basically firing when standing right next to the target. This would most likely make the ranged fighter Engaged in Melee on the next turn, if attacked, so I can see why Point Blank is at it is. The short/regular/long range seems different for powers and other distances, so Iā€™m sorry if this is covered in the rules and I canā€™t see it.

Most of our players are using a Toa character. They have 8 Armor by default, plus the Toughness factor of at least 3 due to starting stats. Great Attribute (Toughness) doubles their factor, even. This means that a basic Toa has a 14 damage reduction.

The bestiary isnā€™t that big, but most creatures seem pretty weak (built for Matoran players, I imagine?). As the GM I made the decision to double the stats of the Burnak, for example, but even then the Burnak died pretty quickly without dealing any damage, due to low rolls. I mention this mostly because I think Toa players need a challenge, and the current stats donā€™t seem to factor in how much damage reduction Armor+Toughness actually gives.

Apart from some confusion about this (and scrolling back and forth through the PDF a lot :P) we had fun, and the system works pretty well. Nice work on it. :slight_smile:

EDIT: More questions: Is there friendly fire in this game? If you launch an explosive attack at target, will allies also be affected inside the blast radius? What if you miss a shot at a target Engaged in Melee?

When using a Mask of Speed, your movement rate triples and you gain 2 AP. If you move, then attack, can you use your extra AP to move again? If you can, does the next move still have the movement boost from the mask?

When using a Mask of Flight, you gain the relevant Trait with a movement speed of 10. You are forced to move the full distance when you Fly, correct? Further, does the mask last for 1 turn per mask charge spent, or does 1 charge last until you choose to stop moving?

Finally: Activating a Kanohi costs 1 mask charge, but costs 0 AP, is that correct?

1 Like

Individually. This is the advantage of ā€œmultiple attacksā€ that comes from dual-wielding.

Probably. To tell the truth, I suck at estimating distances, so these might be far too long but I tried to guess them as close to ā€œrealisticā€ as I could.

Iā€™m not sure I understand what is being asked here.

This was a problem I came across during the session I used it for too. The system is based on the Warhammer 40k RPGs such as Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy. Matoran characters were given human-like stats and I thought it comparable to make the Toa about the same power level as the Space Marines. I then went through and tried to use the WH40k enemy list as a baseline for creating the Rahi profiles. So, in theory, it should have all worked out rather well. In practice? Ehhh, not so much. But then, in story most Rahi never really seemed to prove a large challenge to Toa anyway (at least not beyond '01).

All I can really say is that, it depends on your story, but maybe working in evil Toa, Makuta, and similar enemies to go up against might work better. Or, much as I hate to say it because I feel responsible, carry on as you have adjusting stats to your needs.

These types of things tend to be subjective and ultimately up to the GM as for whether or not to include them. I imagine friendly fire for AOE effects is commonplace for realism. As for missing shots, you can always look up the ā€œscatterā€ section or use a system of your own diving if you want to allow for the possibility of missed shots hitting other nearby objects and entities. It would stand to reason that missing a shot at somebody standing in front of a wall of explosives would result in some kind of consequence since a ranged attack doesnā€™t just cease to exist when it misses itā€™s intended target.

This thing is probably the most OP mask in the game and Iā€™m never sure Iā€™d be able to balance it properly. But, in any case, the answer to your question is ā€œyes to bothā€.

Yes, unless the mask power is deactivated part way through.

Until the mask is deactivated. In theory, I suppose this would allow a player to use the mask nonstop which doesnā€™t seem realistic, but without the ability to hover it seems highly impractical to attempt in the first place.

Yes. The only AP spent through the use of Kanohi is mentioned in respective descriptions. For example: it costs 1 Action Point for an Iden user to abandon or possess a body.

OK, thank you for the replies.

What I meant about distances was that the weapons say they are more accurate when fired at short range. Short range is defined to be half of the weaponā€™s normal range. However, if 1 bio = 1 square (which works with other measurements in the game) then a range of 50 bio means that the gun still gets an accuracy bonus in most cases.

Then there are certain powers with Blast (10) as the effect. Thatā€™s quite big, especially if you want to avoid hitting your ally. I suppose we can wing a smaller version of it, I just found it curious.

If I may make a suggestion for the future: The Kakama may be more balanced if you are given the choice upon activation of whether you want to increase movement rate or your amount of AP. Weā€™ll play it as it is, though, and see how it balances out with other powers.

I just downloaded this and read through the rules. Overall itā€™s a good game (and actually uses a d100 :grin:) but it reads more like an SRD than an actual game, all the stats but very little explanation (I have not yet found anything explaining how action points work). No offense, but before I play this Iā€™m probably going to have to rewrite several sections so my friends can understand the ā€œwhat, when, where, and whyā€ though ā€œhowā€ is pretty well explained. For future reference, if you do anything else like this, try and add examples of play and possibly some more background Also, the races section could do with a lot of expansion, and the powers section is missing some stuff (iron powers, magnetism powers, and light powers) and thereā€™s nowhere that says anything on how to calculate HP and AP for a character.

1 Like

You get 2 AP per turn in combat, plus one Reaction. I donā€™t quite remember which page this is mentioned on, but itā€™s somewhere.

As far as I can tell, you start with a number of Health Points as listed in the race description, and you never gain any more than that. The level up stats only mention attributes (among which is Toughness, for damage reduction) and energy points.

Iā€™ve worked on some Iron and Magnetism powers for the campaign Iā€™m currently running, but I havenā€™t sent any of them to Takuma. I figure he will expand his ruleset later.

Eh, donā€™t hold your breath.

Right, OK. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is TTV still doing a play of this, or was that booted? I canā€™t remember.

It is on indefinite hiatus until I get a proper job and can afford the proper hardware/software I require to do it.

Ah. Well I hope to see that happen soon.

@TakumaNuva : You really need to finish some of the stuff (please). Me and my brother are long-time Gamma World players, and weā€™ve test run the RPG. With a few Ref-mods, it works great, however, you lack Iron elemental powers. Also, you didnā€™t fill in the flyer section (though the place-holder is hysterical). I made a few non-canon flyers to amend them. All-in-all great, but I recommend you have a directory of tables at the back. Combat it quite a long-winded experience (much more so than normal), because of the fact that tables are all over. Still, itā€™s wonderful to play a BIONICLE RPG.

1 Like

Spent most of the day starting to plan a campaign with this model. Itā€™s easy to understand, even though Iā€™m not an expert at this stuff! (Albeit I might be simplifying a couple of things and ā€œavoidingā€ bits like vehicles and what-not.)

Should I be successful in creating a campaign and actually getting friends to play it (Iā€™ve got 1 onboard at least lol), Iā€™ll probably make some kind of recording of it. Because every adventure needs a chronicle.

Thanks for making this!

1 Like

Are you going to make it into a campaign module that otherā€™s could use?

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ not sure. Iā€™ve never made a campaign module, but I could give it a try!

1 Like

If you could that would be fantastic.