Lost Chronicles -- A Tabletop RPG Homebrew

Crab Major for president!

1 Like

So, Iā€™ve been reading through this and I have a couple of questionsā€¦

1. is this still being actively worked on? because some sections (such as the vehicle section) seem incomplete.

2. Can someone explain to me how exactly you get the number to test against? because Iā€™m seeing a lot of plus this and minus that, and Iā€™m not sure where everything goesā€¦

Edit:

A few other thoughts:

Why are there constraints on the gender of toa? just because we have never seen a female toa of fire or a male toa of water doesnā€™t necessarily mean there canā€™t be one. I feel like these rules do nothing but constrict character creation options.

Another Edit:

More questions:

Will there be a later update that includes toa disks for the kanoka section?

Will Makuta be added as a playable race?

Have you considered adding feats that give you additional AP? Perhaps a feat called ā€œMask Masterā€ that gives you an additional 1/2 AP that can only be used to activate mask powers?

What are you rounding the AP on Rapid reload to? the nearest full AP or 1/2 AP?

Will there be rules for Suva?

2 Likes

My life is a bit topsy-turvey right now, so my focuses are elsewhere on essential-for-life matters.

Itā€™s the characterā€™s attribute value appropriate for the test. If their strength is 35 and they need to check for, say, swimming, you start with 35 and then apply all your modifiers.

RPG rules should be looked at as guidelines and not much more. I was strictly trying to stick with Bionicle canon. If you want to ignore specific aspects of the canon, thatā€™s something to take up with your gaming group and see if you want to go that route.

At this point, itā€™s hard to say if Iā€™ll ever get around to working on anything again. I have some ducks to get in a row before I worry about little projects like this.

Oh man, I remember the hype I had for this
#then it died

5 Likes

Yeah, I wish it was still activeā€¦

2 Likes

I was waiting for it to finish before playing with friends. And now its dead ;-;

I wouldā€™ve loved to play this with some friendsā€¦

But now I canā€™tā€¦

At least I now have some friends.

1 Like

Can you make a tutorial on this pls? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Why canā€™t you?

I second this! the way to play is explained rather badly.

Iā€™ve read, or at least glanced over, most of the rules in trying to make a character, and I feel like combat stuff is explained quite in-depth. However, while damage-dealing is covered in excruciating detail more or less in one place, healing isā€¦ not so much.

The healing mechanic seems a bit slow at first glance. Granted, having only played the two most recent versions of D&D, in which hitpoints are used quite differently, that may just be a result of me comparing apples and oranges, but still thereā€™s no real guidelines on what forms healing can take besides just resting. Is there a ā€˜medicine checkā€™ equivalent for teammates to heal others that I missed? And what about getting mechanical components fixed up directly by someone with a crafting skill?

edit: there is a ā€œmedicalā€ skill, which seems to accomplish exactly what I was looking for. It might help to mention the skill under the ā€œhealingā€ section of the guide, though, since thatā€™s where I would go if I wanted to quick-reference the ways in which to heal a character, and that skill is definitely among them.

Secondly, while pretty much all the information that one would need to play is in the guide in one way or another, the lack of a ā€˜quick referenceā€™ or a glossary for important terms makes me fear that thereā€™ll be an awful, awful lot of aimless pdf scrolling and/or page flipping involved early on. I think the guide would benefit from some formatting that would somehow highlight the rules concerning important or likely common occurrences, such as making a check, as opposed to having a lot of information buried in the paragraphs, even if those paragraphs headline a chapter concerning those rules. Basicallyā€¦ it would help if the guide was more skimm-able, to allow games with even inexperienced players to go a little more smoothly and to make it easier to quickly reference rules when they come into play.

A, a sample, print-out character sheet, or at least something that describes what all you should determine and have at the ready for a character would be really helpful, too. Perhaps it could include some quick-reference formulas as well, to help streamline the process of calculating values.

Also, a few more specific, character-building questions: if a race states that a member of it starts with ā€œbasic training in a skill,ā€ does that mean they automatically get one skill point in it? In my case, since Iā€™m making a Toa of Shadow, she automatically gets basic training in concealment, but since thatā€™s a basic skill to begin with I donā€™t see how that race feature would amount to anything other than a free skill point in concealment. If thatā€™s wrong, thenā€¦ well, what is it? And if itā€™s right, it might be useful to describe what ā€œbasic trainingā€ amounts to under the ā€œskillsā€ sectionā€¦ again, a glossary would really help to figure that out, too.

The ā€œDual Wielderā€ feats seemā€¦ a bit pointless, at first glance. If making a basic attack costs only 1 AP, canā€™t all characters make two melee attacks per turn with whatever weapon they desire? If soā€¦ whatā€™s the advantage of making two attacks for two AP with a -20 penalty to boot? Are those feats required for someone to wield two weapons at the same time, or to make two attacks with them, at all? 'cause if not, they seem to offer quite literally nothing.

3 Likes

Some items, like the Mask of Healing, heals a certain amount of hit points. I assume that healing would otherwise be done by having the players purchase items of the GMā€™s choice, or just saying that you rest for X amount of time. I agree that the rules regarding healing are a bit confusing as to what you can actually do.

For the game we are about to play, I will build a spreadsheet where some stats and points get auto-calculated, so we wonā€™t have to scroll too much. Iā€™ll add some notes to the sheets to denote the basic rules. While the first session or two may entail a bit of scrolling, I think it will be easy to play after that.

I would assume that yes, you get 1 free point in Concealment, as everyone starts with that skill. Possibly it could have been a Trained skill at some point in development, but if it is Basic now it sounds like it should be a free point.

From what I have been able to find, carrying two weapons allows you to choose which one to attack with as a regular attack. If you attack with both at the same time, you do so at a penalty unless you have the Dual Wielding trait.

It was noted somewhere (I think in the weapons section) that you have a penalty on your off-hand weapon unless you have the feat. That is, if you dedicate your round to attacking, you may either attack twice with one weapon, once with each weapon (with off-hand penalty), or with both at the same time (penalty both from off-hand and from not being a dual-wielder).

At least, thatā€™s what Iā€™m reading so far.

1 Like

If Iā€™m reading it correctly, that means dual-wielding anything is actively discouraged; making two attacks with one weapon is automatically better than making the attacks with different weapons, one of which has an off-hand penalty. So, unless youā€™re really banking on the trigger effect of different weaponsā€¦ also, that means that the standard loadouts of, say, the Toa Nuva are completely worthless, since having two copies of the same weapon offers you absolutely nothing. Grouping it into the standard ā€œsword-and-board,ā€ dual wielding, or two-handed weapon playstyles, these become the options:

Sword-and-board: shield gives armor points (strong defense) while two attacks with a one-handed weapon (or with the shield, apparently) give a damage potential of 2d10+2*strength factor. Can parry as well. Generally sacrifices damage output for resilience.

Two-handed Weapon: two attacks with a two-handed weapon gives a total damage potential of 4d10+2*strength factor. Cannot parry. All-out offensive builds that focus on hitting hard to ensure the target canā€™t hit back.

Dual Wielding: two one-handed attacks, one with significant off-hand penalty (before feat). 2d10+2*strength factor damage potential is same as sword-and-board, but the shield guy can make attacks without the penalty, and has +4 armor points from his shield to boot. Duel wield offers small advantage in trigger possibilitiesā€¦ but do you really want to be banking on a crit on a d20?

This, of course, is without any feat investment, but even after getting Ambidextrous, dual wielding characters still sacrifice a massive armor bonus for two different, rare trigger effects, and for no additional damage. The Dual Wielder feats do absolutely nothing to help, still offering two attacks for two AP, but for one roll, thereby allowing the user to put all their eggs in one basket. Thatā€™s not a buff unless youā€™re getting some kind of massive stealth bonus on the first attack only, or you can do it retroactively after seeing you beat the crap out of your first rollā€¦ which still seems underwhelming.

Personally, Iā€™d set it up to where the dual wielding feats either give you some kind of bonus to the two-weapon attack, reflecting that it is more difficult to block two attacks coming at the same time than to block two consecutive ones, or to set the featā€™s cost to 1 AP but limiting its use to once per round. The former would basically give dual-wielders an increased chance of making it past a parry or dodge attempt over a sword-and-board fighter, reflecting the more offensive mindset of the build, while the latter would effectively allow dual-wielders three attacks per round, one of them still at penalty unless they have Ambidextrous, placing their damage potential pretty squarely between sword-and-board and two-handed styles, and allowing them to retain parrying abilities over two-handed fighters while still losing the armor bonus of the shield guys. That sets up dual-wielding as a kind of ā€˜intermediate routeā€™ between defensively or offensively focused builds, and makes it so that doing, say, a Lewa Nuva-style twin-sword build wouldnā€™t be absolute crap. It would still require feats to really make it useful (non-feated dual wielding would still be like the current ā€˜vanillaā€™ version, which is to say bad), but I think that would reflect the training time investment needed to properly dual-wield weapons quite nicely.

1 Like

The damage for weapons does not say anything about doubling the Strength factor, just so thatā€™s mentioned. You roll either 1 or 2 d10, and then you add the Strength Factor to the result.

I agree with your thoughts on dual wielding. If anyone does it in-game, Iā€™ll reduce the AP cost to 1.

Intentionally so. Itā€™s supposed to be a little more ā€œrealisticā€. I donā€™t know about you, but I donā€™t fully recover from most wounds in a matter of hours like it never happened.

I completely agree. Some form of GM screen would be incredibly helpful.[quote=ā€œScorpion_Strike, post:122, topic:8765ā€]
Also, a few more specific, character-building questions: if a race states that a member of it starts with ā€œbasic training in a skill,ā€ does that mean they automatically get one skill point in it? In my case, since Iā€™m making a Toa of Shadow, she automatically gets basic training in concealment, but since thatā€™s a basic skill to begin with I donā€™t see how that race feature would amount to anything other than a free skill point in concealment.
[/quote]

Unless I somehow completely missed pointing it out (which Iā€™m positive I didnā€™t) the difference between basic and trained/advanced/whateverIcalled them skills is this: you can still use a basic skill without putting points into it, but only at half effectiveness. The advanced skills canā€™t be used at all with no points.[quote=ā€œScorpion_Strike, post:122, topic:8765ā€]
The ā€œDual Wielderā€ feats seemā€¦ a bit pointless, at first glance. If making a basic attack costs only 1 AP, canā€™t all characters make two melee attacks per turn with whatever weapon they desire? If soā€¦ whatā€™s the advantage of making two attacks for two AP with a -20 penalty to boot? Are those feats required for someone to wield two weapons at the same time, or to make two attacks with them, at all? 'cause if not, they seem to offer quite literally nothing.
[/quote]

Note that ā€œa character cannot use the same 1AP action twice in a single turnā€. Dual wielding is ultimately something you build into with the different feats and such that will have a lower chance to hit at times, but greater damage when it hits.

Perhaps this will help. Made it forever ago but, obviously, never really got a chance to use it.

If you read the Dual Strike (?) feat, youā€™ll note that hitting with both attacks at the same time means the targetā€™s toughness is only accounted for once instead of twice (one for each weapon strike).

Overall, yes, this thing may not be the best thing put together and kind of messy to navigate. To that I can only say that it was my first attempt, I donā€™t have a lot of tabletop RPG experience, and out of the great number of people who said they were going to make a system like this, I seem to be the only one who actually got somewhere with it. d=

But, yeah, it kinda sucks. Next time I develop an RPG system, itā€™ll be much better.

Truth be told, I started making a Steel Scales one with a much simpler and more straight-forward system that could conceivably be adapted for Bionicle relatively easily, but I havenā€™t worked on it in forever because I donā€™t see much point right now.

Iā€™ll keep the healing in mind when GMing. I can tell that most characters will be able to take a bunch of hits before going down anyways.

I see that we may have understood dual-wielding. The way you describe it here seems more viable.

Thank you for the tool, I believe it will be very helpful. :smiley:

You certainly did point that out, but it doesnā€™t really answer the question. Concealment is listed as a basic skill, so what does it mean when ā€œbasic trainingā€ in it is specifically listed in a racial description? It canā€™t mean you justā€¦ get to use it, since everyone can, by definition, use basic concealment skill to at least some degree. Does it mean the character gets free skill point in concealment? Either way, since the idea of ā€œbasic trainingā€ isnā€™t mentioned anywhere else in the guide from what I could tell, it seems to be some kind of holdover that, on first inspection, renders the racial bonus rather meaningless without some re-interpretation.

Ohā€¦ well, that makes the whole ā€˜dual wieldingā€™ question make sense.

Youā€™ve certainly produced a much more cohesive and complete system for Bionicle than anyone else ever has, and Iā€™d definitely like to be a part of it if you do go back to developing this system further or start work on another one for Bionicle. My experience is entirely with recent editions of D&D, but Iā€™ve done a fair amount of homebrewing for that and Wizards has actually published some pretty useful guidelines on how to make sure additions/modifications to a system that donā€™t clog up or complicate the game too much. I mean, even though that tool youā€™ve made for taking all the modifiers into account would certainly help a lot, it seems to me that the fact that itā€™s like two pages long might indicate some work is in order.

Still, Iā€™m really looking forward to trying out what youā€™ve got so far, and I hope that events will allow you to come back to it at some point. By then, weā€™ll definitely have some more playtesting feedback for you as well. :grin:

1 Like

You get the first point in it free.[quote=ā€œScorpion_Strike, post:128, topic:8765ā€]
it seems to me that the fact that itā€™s like two pages long might indicate some work is in order.
[/quote]

Full transparency here, those are pretty much all copied from a different system I was using as a foundation, so ā€¦ d=

But, yeah. Way too many modifiers. I much prefer the advantage/disadvantage system used in 5th(?) edition D&D.

2 Likes

After talking a bunch about character creation last night, @DragonBorn_Ben and I started trying to work on a simple, d6-based ā€œLegends of Okotoā€ system that borrows a lot from 5e D&D, including the advantage mechanic. G2ā€™s comparative lack of depth means that weā€™re probably not biting off more than we can chew this way, plus if we get a good system working, people will be able to make their own stories on Okoto where the official canon is rather sparse. The first version will probably just allow people to play as villagers/protectors, with masters being introduced laterā€¦ Eventually, we might even try to apply it to G1, but thatā€™s getting way ahead of ourselves for now. Still, weā€™re actually rather excited about it, but thereā€™s still quite a bit of work (and a boatload of writing) to be done before we actually put up an ā€˜alphaā€™ version for people to test.

2 Likes

That sounds great! I wouldnā€™t mind having a look at it sometime. Iā€™d even be willing to help contribute if you want (and I can find the bloody time of day to do it).