Lynis (2016)

The colors have strange distribution. I do quite like the MOC, however!

LoSS’ faceplate being used is hilarious to me.

Just gonna reiterate this

yes hawky I know I made the Draons, not a word

1 Like

The torso looks good, but the limbs, especially the arms, seem a bit lack luster. Also, what happened to his blanket?

Blanket? Is this an April Fools joke? Not to be rude.

No, I was referring to this:

He’s only two letters away.

Oh I get it, I didn’t base the name off him though, I was literally just writing names of people I knew on paper because I was bored as heck. One of them was Lynis, spelt the exact same way.

1 Like

My opinion is the same.

If you like Rahkshi heads, that’s fine, use them on actual Rahkshi. Just don’t impose that head design on Toa, and try not to stretch your preferences too thin. Have two or three Rahkshi-headed MOCs that canonically have a reason to have that head, nothing more.

The rahkshi head design is very plain, which is why I think why they work well on a variety of MOCs.

I honestly don’t mind them at all.

Plain? Yes.

Proportionate to a normal build? No.

(And if you argue that the head design doesn’t need to follow standard proportions you will have lost all credibility as a MOCer to me)

Depends on the style of the MOC. Let’s be honest, how much did the Rahkshi proportions make sense?

Define “normal.”

My point exactly. A Rahkshi head works when you’re building an outright reptilian or similarly non-standard build.

Toa, Matoran, and the like are the surrogate human species of BIONICLE. They are understood to have somewhat standard proportions, including a head that is relatively round and a minimum of two bricks high, to which a Kanohi mask can be attached. The Rahkshi head is flat and wide, which more than not fitting into BIONICLE canon does not fit the look of the “surrogate human” species.

Except this is entirely subjective and the proportions have differed on more than one occasion while still being the “normal” species. The Inika have longer arms than most humans. The Toa Mata have enormous heads. Do these odd proportions break the “rule?”

Oh yeah, you’re right

That’s called when the designers failed at their job.

If you’ve been with the BIONICLE community for any length of time you’ll notice that they will call out LEGO when they don’t do proportions right, be it with the Inika’s arms, or Onua 2015’s small head. Some of this might be subjective, but that is because we as human beings are so used to seeing things with human proportions that we as a race will respond better to when art, and MOCs, fit with human proportions, as was the case in the Toa Metru, if I recall. My point stands, as mistakes on the part of the designers don’t justify the problem - they demonstrate why the problem must be answered.

And if you make an argument that not everyone sees proportions the right way, the ones that do are also the ones that are in the positions of power and influence in the MOCing community, that have learned how to take critique and rise above the swath of average MOCs. The ones that tend not to follow the rules go a little out of their way to make the MOC seem as stylized or as nonhuman as possible (@Ekorak). If this MOC was intended to be a part of an alien species, I might not have brought this up, but as a Toa, it has elements that do not fit the theme of a “Toa” - as determined by both designers and the fanbase in general.

2 Likes

All my point is that the proportions of “normal” Bionicle characters are extremely inconsistent. You also seem to be forgetting one thing: not all humans have the same proportions. While I will agree that there is a range of what is considered the “norm,” I don’t think the quality of a MOC should be determined based on what’s already an inconsistent and constantly varying factor.

That is true, although one should be careful not to take this too far. Humans differ in height, weight, ratio of fat to muscle, that sort of things. There are degrees to which physical differences are categorized as abnormal - and I believe very flat and long heads would be considered as such.

That’s not the extent of the problems I have with that, though:

Its commonplace use on all Biotube-styled MOCs is what really ticks other MOCers off or causes them to dismiss both the MOC and the MOCer, and its widespread use exacerbated the proportion differences. The fact that it’s being used here on a largely black and silver MOC doesn’t help.

I believe my original point in mentioning the Rahkshi head was to see how well the builder took critique and would respond to feedback - before critiquing this build to all Karzahni, which I am slowly becoming more and more inclined to do.

1 Like

So it’s partially a problem because it’s common? No offense, but that’s what I’m getting from this. I have seen a lot of people who despise Rahkshi heads, and it’s usually just because they’re so common.

I understand, I’m just pointing out that it’s not like all humanoid Bionicle MOCs need to have the same proportions to look like humans.

They’re not just common.
They’re so common, it’s practically become a cliche.

2 Likes

Long and short of it, yes.

Basically these kinds of MOCs are treated the same way as Sonic the Hedgehog OCs.

You probably need not know what goes on in the heads of some veteran BIO-MOCers when they see one of these – my reputation here aside, I’m one of the nicer ones.

A fair point. But there is a way to do it correctly, which I’m not seeing here, and a way to do it in a way that makes it look like the difference is due to genetics or environment and not Hordika Venom or some other ex Machina.

1 Like

I know, but that fact alone should not judge whether a MOC is good or not.

It just seems unfair to say a MOC is flawed only because other people have used the technique a lot. I agree it doesn’t always work, and I can understand why. But I find it frequent that people don’t like them not because they don’t work, just because they’ve been used so commonly.

If anything, it’s more of a nitpick. I don’t mind them, as long as they fit with the build.

1 Like