Marendar, Guy I Built (Ghidonicle Fanon Contest #2)

Main pic:

Killing a Toa!

Killing a Grabber!

Doing a spin!

Breakdowns don’t really need breakdowns but if you want more say the word.

When I saw the list of characters who were getting the visual treatment in the canon contests, the one character I thought didn’t belong there was Marendar. I disliked the idea of potentially bottlenecking so many critical elements of a being’s form before we had ever really heard anything about him. To me, it would have been a shoot-from-the-hip-with-your-eyes-closed free-for-all. In that vein, I decided to take inspiration from one of our first such contests: The Dark Hunter Contest.

Namely, I used a bunch of annoyingly specific parts from the early years of G1 (although I still used parts from a wider range). It is in no way a complex build, and makes some use of the Onua claws and pipes the LEGO judges seemed to really enjoy at the time.

I’ve always been contented to leave Marendar’s visage in the dark, and as such I had zero direction in mind when I built this. I seeded with the Rahkshi back and that’s already a pretty narrow path to walk on. Along the way I realized I was creating a generic ‘never leave the guidebook’ Dark Hunter type, so I doubled down hard until I got tired, wrapped it up, and went to bed.

All in all I had a lot of fun toying with parts that I’d rarely ever touch. I’m glad Ghidonicle was established so I could shed any pressure altogether and just have some fun with it. If I win the Chik-Fil-A card, I vow to eat the #1 large combo no pickle I order with it and show you the little foil paper sandwich bag when I’m done.

P.S. this is the essay they made you write when you entered your illegal-build Dark Hunter MoC into their magazine contest (mine is legal tho 💁 :v: :kiss: :innocent:)

21 Likes

The red and blue contrast is striking. I really like how it stands out from just about anything else in Bionicle. It also conveys a good sense of bulk without needing to be overly huge, which is nice

4 Likes

Oh thanks man, I appreciate it. It’s a far cry from the Superman Rahkshi I was gonna build with those parts, and I just wish I had two more red kraata trays for the shoulders. Oh well, random off-color parts is fitting with my DH vibe

3 Likes

The leg design looks really nice

2 Likes

Thanks Eilrach I hope to steal it from myself and upgrade it later in life

4 Likes

nice color scheme - very different to the usual for marendar

2 Likes

Pretty nice parts use Wekua.
Love the colour scheme too. Though the teeth look a bit weird.

2 Likes

Thanks guys @Rhyla416 @Alucia

Yeah the teeth are very chipmunk-like. I’m just leaning on the oversized tooth arrangement of the likes of Airwatcher, Vahki Hunter and Fenrakk

4 Likes

he looks like a giant, deadly squirrel

Nice bright colours going on here.

3 Likes

Canonically, there’s nothing to indicate Marendar isn’t a giant, deadly squirrel

5 Likes

ah, very nice moc. Looks very much like those old Dark Hunters entries and that works well for it. The red and blue color scheme is certainly unique, helps it stand out. also, the weapon is neat. Cool Marendar moc @Wekua

2 Likes

Thanks @Rukah!

It’s occurring to me I should have given him a giant bushy tail

2 Likes

Update:

I don’t need to win to succeed

7 Likes

Yes! You have gained the 450 calories you needed!

3 Likes

I didn’t know my mother had a TTV account

5 Likes

Looks like the average victim of poor dental work

Like many have said that red and blue contrast is an inspired choice

3 Likes