Mask Display WIP

Hey all, I am 3 masks away from having a full set of the '01 Mata masks. I also have the golden and silver kanohi from '02. I would like to display these on my wall, as I have said in a previous topic (Mask Displays)

Thus begins the process of designing and creating a display. The finished product will be a glass-fronted box, likely made of wood. I want it to be similar to a geologic rock display, or an insect display. Here are a few of the considerations I have going in:

• How to arrange the masks? Do I put it in a grid? Do I try to find a different pattern that looks unique and nice?
  • What color do I want the box to be? A regular, unpainted wood look or something more colorful?
  • How to mount the masks? Do I involve the use of regular LEGO parts? Mata heads? Something 3D printed?
  • What color should the backing be? Some colors pop on the right background, and are pretty indistinct from other backgrounds. Of particular mention are the black masks, which are hard to make-out on any dark background, and the white kaukau, which pops on dark backgrounds but looks washed-out on light backgrounds.

So here is step one: designing the mounts and background for the masks.

I used Stud.io to replicate the idea I had in mind. As of right now, I want to mount the masks along a 32x48 grid, horizontally. That way, the stand is wider than it is tall. Each mask aligns by color vertically, and by shape horizontally. Using the technic pin joiner and baseplates, the masks can be mounted securely and spaced out enough to not look like sardines. That leaves the option of decorating the baseplates! I thought of the mosaics, and have used two designs. The first is just a simple pattern using tiles:

Screenshot (140)

The second is the Three Virtues!

I am not sold on either design, though I would prefer the Three Virtues. I have also thought of other designs, such as a mask, a mata head, the island of Mata Nui, or something else from the series. I also need to experiment with color a bit more, and see if I can find a Three Virtues that doesn’t hide the black masks as much.

Let me know what you guys think! I am posting this to share my work, but also to see if you guys have a flash of brilliance that helps this design work out more. I will update this thread whenever I accomplish more on this project.

14 Likes

I think the three virtues works fine enough.

3 Likes

I think you should do the three virtues one, but with the colors reversed so the black masks stand out against the white.

1 Like

flex

2 Likes

If you’re concerned about the black masks blending in with the background, perhaps you could replace the black in the logo with a shade of gray.

You’ve collected all eight colors of Ghid, including the rare gold visage edition. Well done.

Definitely this one over the first.

Or, if you wanted to splurge a little, you could get the necessary materials to make the island of mata nui as a mosaic in the background… but if you wanted it in color, it would take a few bricklink orders. I’m not sure if it would be a worthwhile endeavor; that’s up to you.

2 Likes

It’s a tempting idea, but I’d have to design it too. Or find someone else who has

2 Likes

Let’s see the dimensions.

2 Likes

I’d say if you’re gonna do the three virtues one, definitely do it in dark grey/light grey (or light grey/dark grey), not light grey/black. That should solve the problem of the black on black Masks being hard to see.

Do the tree virtues one, it looks great!

It’s 32x48 studs. Height by width, of course.

The 3 virtues does look the best but it might take away too much focus from the masks as the focus as well, there is also the issue of black background with black masks blending is too much.
With that in mind I think the first one would be the best option.