Mask Powers [Worldbuilding?]

They have inherent elemental abilities.

2 Likes

Wow this topic got popular while I wasn’t looking…

Fair.

That’s not a power that the Akaku ever had, not saying that it couldn’t be expanded on, but there is nothing about “x-ray vision” that suggests you would be able to sense your opponents weaknesses.

From BS01:

“The Kanohi Akaku is the Mask of X-Ray Vision, and is sometimes called the Mask of Vision. It allows its user to see through solid objects and structures.”

It’s a new ability.

Who brought up the Turaga masks…?

Not everything needs to be super flashy, mask powers are a sliding scale, some are really powerful, others are less so. Also, translation allows one to speak with rahi, and honestly, talking to animals is a very popular power among children.

Seem Payinku has this point under control…

That’s because the ability he mentioned is beyond x-ray vision, and would make things confusing.

I’ve always been a large supporter of the idea that mask and elemental powers take mental/spiritual acuity to control and maintain. I feel that Toa would have a natural acuity toward it but others would Not be unable to do so, it would just take meditation and training to gain control, just as a Toa would need to meditate and train in order to increase their elemental and mask abilities.

Say what?

As far as how the Toa get their masks I have my own opinions in my pitch topic, but I definitely don’t think that the masks should transform with them and I also don’t feel that they should just be handed over either.

I’m good with this.

Yeah, elemental masks seem incredibly redundent and only really serve to give a character control of two different elements, which just seems like an unnessissary complication that will only cause confusion.

I mean, I wasn’t saying give it the axe, I was saying every mask is situational to a degree.

1 Like

I mean the turaga would most likely have been toa, meaning they would have an advanced knowledge and experience of the great kanohi, so they’d generally have a stronger use of their mask, such as projecting a shield to protect a small group of matoran, or something like that.
I’d like for the turaga to have a sort of sage/monk/elder combination going on.

I was thinking that the signature masks would be given to the toa as part of some sort of rite of passage or something, we can discuss those specifics once the plot and world are a bit more solid.

Ok, that makes more sense. Personally, I’d rather have Turaga just mean “elder” and not have a concrete connection to having previously been a Toa. Obviously a past Toa would be respected as an elder, but I feel like the term could be broadened out a bit. That being said an elder would still have years of experience and meditation under their belt, so your suggestion still makes sense.

I’m not opposed to this.

Yeah, one of the reasons I’m against it is because in my pitch I have them fetch quest their items (mask/armor/tools) in the first year. The way I see it they would be going to get the items that have been passed down from Toa to Toa and retrieving them would sort of be a rite of passage.

It would be cool if the collectable mask would be some who aren’t wear by the Toa. I mean, the Toa could wear their masks and we could collect our masks.

It’s probably because of the selling point isn’t it? (ie: a Bionicle app)

How about if the power was locked just for the inhabitants of that region? Like, for example, in my G3 the toa, as they did in G1, come from the sky, so they are technically foreigners.
Because of that, the toa could share the mask powers of each region with each other.
The matoran of a specific region would just gain that region’s power.

If this all sounds funky, I can’t blame you; essentially each villager, turaga, etc. would have a, physically, different looking mask as G1 did. These masks are powerless. There is one Great/Ancient mask per region that gives them their specific power. At the beginning they would be in a shrine/temple, but after the toa come down and prove themselves worthy, they would be given to the toa to use.

I know it has limitations, but does that clear it up a bit?

I have no problem with the matoran having some control over their respective element, but I want masks to be an unrelated thing, I don’t really understand why you want the mask powers to be region locked anyway, I think having the elements be the regional distinction is good enough.

1 Like

That makes sense.

I just wanted the introduction of the powers to have more of a difference rather than “Oh, they have to go out, again, to find masks we’ve already seen before.”

I’d figure if the villages already have masks and use them regularly, but they suddenly get stolen, and the toa have to find them… it could be a neat side story/world-building opportunity.

Well G3 should have mask powers but the the mask powers could be something they unlock due to a certain event making it that you have to unlock them

I just thought it made more sense to talk about the mask powers that were canon, but not used by Toa in the infancy of G1, since those were also there at the beginning, and there is some merit in considering how many mask powers we want to start with.

But water breathing and night vision, besides being some of the least popular powers from what I’ve seen, are only useful in really specific places under really specific circumstances.

That’s why I said water breathing should be expanded into respiration, then it’s more generally useful, and is useful at least as often as the Akaku. As for night vision I really don’t see a problem with it, it lets you see in the dark, and it gets dark every night. Not having to worry about lighting while you fight is super helpful, in fact, from a combat perspective I’d rank it up next to the Hau.

Respiration and night/thermal vision.

Problem solved.

2 Likes

No it is not a new ability.

Seeing an opponents armor is hardly new to it.

You are simply using the mask to gauge thickness.

Using the mask power to gauge the thickness of armor is very different from

True, you could find weak points in the armor, but the way you phrased it implied being able to sense other weaknesses that you wouldn’t be able to find with an Akaku.

It’s a purely vision based power.

What other weaknesses are there to see besides an enemy’s weak spot.

Weaknesses in their attack patterns, favoring a specific limb, avoiding something their defence is weak against, back even certain personality traits can be seen as weaknesses. All of these things are intuitive, things you notice about them by how they act, not just what you see.

That’s why I intended upon implying that it was purely material weaknesses.

Clearly I failed.

Your initial phrasing made it sound more broad.

Why not have collectible masks? I mean, Nexo Knights is doing it with shields, and it’s apparently doing well enough for them to jack up the prices on those shield-packs to, what, five or six bucks? The only potential issue is that the masks would likely all have to be the same mold, but if the printing is well done, that wouldn’t be much of a problem.

Still, how often is that gonna come up? Like, when there’s a cloud of toxic gas, or you’re walking around a swamp that’s having a CO2 leak?