Meet the Maker: MOC Contest Results (BIONICLE Canon Contest #2)

Congratulations Connor! Can’t imagine how you must be feeling right now!

I’ll be honest, I’m a bit disappointed that Gadunka’s Artakha didn’t win, but yours was still easily my second favorite by a wide margin. Again, congratulations!

Also, it’s been said before, but I’ll say it again: man, what a night and day difference between this contest and the Helryx contest. A lot of that comes down to the efforts made by Eljay, Meso, Infrared, and others, so once again thank all of you for sticking with these and making them the best they can be! Especially with the uptick in community engagement you mentioned in the initial post, I think the results speak for themselves. A well deserved kudos.

6 Likes

I wasn’t expecting this entry to win when the contest started. At all. It shows how unpredictable the results may be.

2 Likes

I :clap:Want :clap:So :clap:Many :clap:Helryx :clap:Vs :clap:Artahka :clap:Contest :clap:Memes

7 Likes

Congrats to the man of the hour @Connor_Hoffman! I never had any doubts! Several people have said it already, but I’ll echo their remarks; this is as close as it gets to seeing my ideal vision of Artahka in my mind’s eye come into reality. Frankly, this is Artahka, period, and I’m glad to finally be able to say that.

Credit where it’s due. I have to commend the fellows behind TTV for improving the process and reducing the toxicity that came about from the Helryx contest. Things still weren’t 100% perfect, but there was certainly measurable improvement and everyone appreciates that. Looking forward to see where people take the art contest and where the future contests go.

6 Likes

I’m so happy about this, this was easily my favourite from the finals. 6 was a great build, but it wasn’t Artakha to me.

With that out of the way, I really don’t care for the Hagah contest. I don’t really see much of a point, really; there’s not much room for experimentation with them, so I guess it just comes down to which metallic colour you use? I’ll stick to the non-Toa contests for the time being. I’ve been preparing for the Lariska contest for a while, so I guess I can work on her while the Hagah contests go by.

3 Likes

Congratulations @Connor_Hoffman. I hope that now that you’re famous, you still remember all the people who supported your entry from the beginning :wink:

2 Likes

I really like your build, congrats, @Connor_Hoffman !
The only complaint that I really have is that the color scheme is a bit two-toned. There is only green and gunmetal, with really nothing breaking it up at all. I personally would have had some gold accents, and especially the had the mask be gold, to be consistent with other legendary masks.

But like I said, other than the color, I love the build. It’s incredibly solid.

1 Like

t u y e t

1 Like

WholesomeGadunka’s entry was my first choice because it went a step further.
This was my second choice because it has fulfilled all the requirements for 100% Artakha. Therefore I am fully satisfied with the winner.
Congratulations @Connor_Hoffman! :smile:

2 Likes

The mask can still be made gold in the Art portion, and I hope that it is.

Personally, I disagree that he should have had gold. His gold mask should be the only gold on Artakha, to make it stand out as a Legendary mask, rather than just ‘Artakha’s mask’.

@Monopoly

For me, the big gain for the Hagah contest(s) will (hopefully) be the new masks, though I am also interested to see how people choose to deal with the metallic armour.

Will we just see more gold and silver, or will people get crazy with the spray paint? (Metallic purple Pouks for the win)

I also think that there’s more room for creativity than people think. I am hoping that ‘Metru build’ is limited to just the torso, leaving the limbs free for custom builds.

4 Likes

Blimey, I was convinced that #6 had it from all the trumpeting. But I’m pleasantly surprised to see this one pull through. I wasn’t planning on building him, but looking at the build, I think it’s pretty doable.

4 Likes

Another opportunity to thank Eljay and Meso for their effort and dedication to seeing the contest through is one I will not ignore. This was a labor of love and mostly irritation, but let’s not forget the love part.

And congrats to Connor Hoffman for winning with, in my opinion, the most G1 Artakha possible. WholesomeGadunka assuredly received second place, and I highly anticipate his future entries into these contests. The man’s got mad skills.

I originally thought I might participate in the art portion, but I have the feeling I will be completely slaughtered.

7 Likes

Cant wait to get my hands on this.

3 Likes

Congrats Connor!

2 Likes

I have to nitpick a little and say that I don’t really like that he’s got 5 fingers instead of the “canon” 4, but other than that it’s really awesome, even the mask is perfect, I hope they won’t change it much in the artwork part

2 Likes

Phenomenal work man, I knew you would win. Your moc was the closest thing towards the OG Bionicle aesthetic despite the other very spectacular entries, ill be honest it was quite tense and hard to vote personally lol. Anyways Congradulations and can’t wait for the art contest

3 Likes

Congrats, @Connor_Hoffman! Your entry was my third preference, after @WholesomeGadunka’s and @Galva_Nize’s, and it really shared with them all of the qualities that I think an Artakha MOC required. It makes excellent use of sand green and gunmental gray, it is both imposing and regal, and it has a very unique hammer that goes really well with the aesthetic of the figure. It clearly fits in perfectly with the G1 aesthetic, and I can easily imagine it standing beside the Axonn and Brutaka sets, as well as @TheUnderscoredDouble’s Helryx.

Fine work all around, by all of the entrants, and another great addition to the canon!

3 Likes

Artakha has entered the chat

15 Likes

I disagree that 4 fingers is the go-to number. There has never really been a consistent number.

Axonn had 4
Brutaka had 5
Titan Takanuva had 4, while Movie Takanuva had 5
Krakua, Helryx, Tahu, Pohatu, and Lewa had 2

At least going off of the set appearances. You could argue that the Toa hand used on the Toa mentioned above was meant to represent more fingers, but the others seem pretty clear on the number of fingers.

And, given that Artakha is his own species, he doesn’t even have anyone we can compare him to.

8 Likes

Congrats Wombat and can’t wait for the mask competition!

10 Likes