Meet the Maker Part 2 Entry: Artahka, Seer of the Universe - Master of Creation

Woah. The style makes is feel so ancient that it feels like I’m not even supposed to be seeing him

1 Like

I like the scientist look you gave him - creation lies not only in being able to forge armour but also in microbiology too! Really has the dark and mysterious tone of the later parts of Bionicle - and I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I won’t even have a problem if you accidentally canonize Stars Gali either.

1 Like

I really like your art style, man,— reminds me of the painted-looking Bionicle Gen 2 Concept Art. :smiley: :+1:
I also dig all the runes you were able to fit into his armor! :+1:

4 Likes

Absolute masterpiece. Fantastic. It evokes so much mystique, menace, and gravitas. And the mask pulling from some of the most iconic masks? Perfect. Hope this one wins!

-Sol

1 Like

Do we even need a contest anymore? This clearly is the winner let’s just cut out the middle man

1 Like

Just wanted to say that even in a contest of outstanding entries, this one manages to be in a league of its own (in my eyes, anyway - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all).

Love the art style homage to G2, and the way you’e done the cape, and the setting. It feels… so Artakha that it’s kind of crazy.

You also managed to do everything I wanted to achieve in my mask design but make it look visually consistent and concise (which I most certainly did not do, lol).

In story, it’s described as “More than a Kanohi” and “A true work of art”. I think you’ve absolutely fulfilled those criteria with it, well done.

A bunch of people have done the Kini-Nui/Coliseum crown (including me) and it’s an idea that I really like, but this is far and away the best execution of it. You can only see it from certain angles, but that adds to the charm of it, I think. The way the cape wraps tightly to his body until it reaches his thighs (or maybe you’ve just attached it lower?) is also really cool and fits the hybrid scientist/artist vibe of the character.

Love the hammer.

This is talking about the stars Gali, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks for the compliments!

The cape is meant to be reflective of the original, just hugging a little closer to the body through superhero logic, but I can definitely see it slipping into waist skirt territory in the extra art.

The Mask of Creation was definitely the by product of a lot of trial and error, but I’m really happy with how concise it manages to be with its shaping. Its very much an all era’s kind of mask, so having as much as I could make work was definitely the biggest hurdle and I’m glad so many people have been responsive to the final version. I didn’t make note of it in the post above, but the circles are meant to be the Makoki Stones, and there’s like 4 3 Virtues references on the mask.

You know; I didn’t realize that callback to the entirely correct criticism of my Helryx piece also doubled as an on the nose hint. Yeah, one version of the piece has the Mata in their original form which is accurate to the story, and the other has Stars build versions of the characters to mirror the Battle of Bara Magna comic the pods are referencing more accurately. Best of both worlds as it were.

3 Likes

Did a paintover of one of your concepts :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Do you think you can show us a non-gif version?
:point_right::point_left:

1 Like

Here you go.

Larger img

17 Likes

WOW!! Simply beautiful!!

Love the subtle shine applied on the mask of light!

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

I love that you included the Mata Nui Saga-style canisters, and the quality is very high, possibly in the top three. I’m not wild about the mask though…

1 Like

Love the resemblance to the Mask of Ultimate Power and the easter eggs from the Mata Nui saga. The mask works well on the moc and I hope it gets 3-D modeled in the near future. Well done.

10 Likes

This has got to be the most liked topic I have ever seen on this site.

1 Like

Dude, that mask :scream:! :clap:

1 Like

The pictures are not working for me :frowning:

I’m not seeing any errors on my side, so it might have been an error with imgur’s servers at the time. I’ve posted them on my Twitter if you’re still having issues seeing the gallery.

https://twitter.com/Perp3tualMusic/status/1323166952454500360?s=19

I’m on a school issued chromebook, so Imgur and Twitter aren’t an option for me :frowning: surprisingly Flickr still works though

But I got on my iPad and viewed it, and it’s really awesome! I dig the addition of the Toa Mata in their canisters and the addition of that one scene from Swamp of Secrets in the monochromatic pics! Nice work!

5 Likes

its…its…its a beautifull!

Congratulations on the win, Perpetual! This is a really beautiful piece of artwork!

6 Likes