MFS's video game reviews

yeah man

but anyways

Halo Combat Evolved
Humanity is at war with an alliance of alien species known as the Covenant, you are the last remaining active Spartan Super Soldier, The Master Chief Petty Officer 117.

Ah yes, the legendary game that started this legendary franchise, let’s start with the gameplay. Now this game may seem kind of dated gameplay wise, you have your base movement, walking, crouching, reload, slightly different zoom mechanics as only a few select weapons can actually zoom in with, grenades, melee, jumping, all the basic stuff of a shooter the only thing is, you move very slow. But Halo is different, as it introduced the concept of energy shields for your character. you have your shield bar and then your health bar, your shield bar regenerates, your health does not, you have to find health packs too stay alive. Halo also has two power ups, active camo which lets you blend in with your surroundings, and Overshield, which gives you two extra shields over your normal one. There are 7 weapons, the Assault Rifle, which is an automatic with a 60 round clip, the Sniper Rifle, which has a double zoom and 4 round clips, The Rocket launcher, that has 2 rockets per clip, the Needler, that fires a volley if heat seeking pink needles that after 6 impale themselves they will supercombine (explode), the Plasma Pistol which can overcharge to take out your shields instantly, the Plasma Rifle which is an automatic that tears through shields, and the legendary Magnum that has 12 rounds a clip and 3 shots to the head of a shielded target will drop them.

There is also a lot of variety between enemy types, from the tall menacing Elites (that also have energy shields), to the short, cowardly but scary in hordes Grunts. There are also a few vehicles in the game, from the Warthog which can fit 3 people, a driver, shotgun, and a gunner, to the Scorpion tank that delivers extremely devastating shots. you can even use the Covenant vehicles, though there is one criticism here is that the vehicles are pretty hard to control, they are invincible, but they drive like bricks.

The story, is great, though Master Chief is a rather 1 dimensional character and doesn’t talk a lot, he’s a soldier, he’s cool and does what he’s told, all the side characters tend to be more interesting, from Chief’s AI companion Cortana to Captain Keyes, the story is very mysterious as you are on this large ring world, it does a good job at making you feel like you are part of a massive universe. The multiplayer is also very fun, everyone starts with the same weapons always so it’s always an even playing field, weapons are scattered all over the maps so you have to fight for them, it’s pretty simplistic, but in it’s simplicity you can do so much, from warthog racing, invisible snipers, to normal slayer, the variety is great.

Halo Combat Evolved is a great game and it is what started this amazing franchise, though it controls a little sluggish, it’s a worthy challenge on the harder difficulties and a complete nightmare on legendary, it’s fun, got a good story and opens up a large universe for you

Halo 2
The Master Chief must mount the defense of Earth and an Elite Commander must pay for failing to safeguard the Halo ring

This game takes what it’s predecessor had, and expanded on it by a huge margin. Gameplay wise, it’s a lot smoother, you move faster, the health bar is gone and your shields recharge faster as does your health (though you cannot see it). You have been given an even bigger variety of weapons, I can’t even go over all of them, but they all manage to be unique. The pistol has been severely nerfed, however this plays into one of the new mechanics, dual wielding, certain one handed weapons like SMG’s or Needlers (dual Needlers are OP though) can be dual wielded, unleashing double the firepower. Enemy types are even more varied this time, along with the enemies from the last game, there are new ones from the unpredictable Brutes to the flying Buggers, it takes a lot of strategy to take these guys down. There are also some new vehicles and the returning vehicles are actually easier to maneuver this time around and don’t feel like you are driving an invincible brick, as these ones can be destroyed.

Multiplayer, everyone still has the same starts, but this time around, instead of just customizing your Spartan colors, you can now customize your primary, secondary and your Emblem’s three colors. You can also play as Elites this time, though this time around with all the new maps (and a few returning ones) and the new mechanics such as hijacking vehicles and the new movement speed, game modes, and weapons it is a lot of fun. There is also custom games where you and your buddies can make up entirely new gamemodes and test them out, like starting everyone with red plasma rifles and have 200x speed when you have the flag. The story this time around is also pretty great/risky, as you play as Chief defending Earth from a Covenant assault, you also play as an Elite Commander who failed in protecting halo from the Chief and has become the Arbiter, you see things from the Covies perspective. It continuously expands the universe and I personally loved this aspect a lot, really shows you how these races work and how the Covenant itself is structured.

Halo 2 is a great sequel to a great game, the only problem I have with it is the ending, which is the cliffhanger of all cliffhangers. Multiplayer is solid, the story is solid, this is worth a play even if you haven’t played the first.

Halo 3
The end of the Human/Covenant War is coming, the time has come to finish the fight

The final part of the original trilogy of halo games, let’s see how it stacks up against the others. The base movement is relatively the same to Halo 2, but touched up a bit more to be even more fluid, even more weapons have been added to this game, and a new mechanic known as equipment, which are one time use pickups at random points on maps or campaign missions, they vary from flares to blind your enemies to power drains that drain your shields, or even limited invincibility (this one is never in multiplayer). There is also 4 player online co-op for the first time in Halo. Dual wielding returns, only the Needler has been removed from doing so due to how it was too powerful in Halo 2. In this game there are now Brute vehicles to add to the standard ones, it’s really fun to mess around with them, as it is with every new vehicle and weapon. The enemy variety is still great, there are even a few new flood forms to spice things up. and Vehicles handle even better than they did in 2.

Multiplayer, I think is probably the strongest of the 3 original games, you have the equipment, weapons, even starts, a bunch of new maps that became instant classics along with the great map size variety and just straight variety in general you have just so much to choose from. Custom Games comes back and is just as fun and silly as you could make it before, only now there are even more options. Though the biggest addition would have to be forge, where you can edit weapons, vehicles power ups and certain entire parts of the map in order to make a map to suit what you want from it, you could even tear down whole certain maps and make new ones from scratch. As well as the theater mode where you can go into previous games and save moments from your game, but not even from only your angle, you can see the game from other peoples perspectives and look at it just from a birds eye view. In the story front it’s just as solid as before, all the past surviving characters have come together to finish the Covenant and the Flood once and for all, as it all culminates to an epic final fight and escape, it truly is probably the best campaign of the original trilogy of Halo game. (keeping it as vague as possible just because no spoilers)

In the end, Halo 3 is an epic finale to a great trilogy of games, it’s satisfying, has an amazing multiplayer component, the great invention of Forge, the great variety of multiplayer, and theater to capture all those cool/funny moments, Legendary is just as hard as the other two and is an epic challenge and you should definitely pick up these game if you have an xbox.

4 Likes

Can we (Mostly Me), expect a Halo 5 review?

Even though I will be playing it, it would be great to see your thoughts and such…

2 Likes

indeed good sir :slight_smile:

though I’ll have to play through it first XD I’ll try to do Wars and ODST today (maybe even Reach if i can)

3 Likes

Sounds good, I’ll check back, later, at some point…

woo, got this done, these ones on the shorter side of things

Halo Wars
The first world the Covenant attacked was Harvest, and it was a long bloody war to get it back.

Now this Halo is a prequel to the ones that came before. This is not a FPS but rather a strategy game, controlling units and sending them into battle, knowing when to retreat and when to attack with everything you have and when to spring ambushes. Now I’m gonna be honest, this is my least favorite Halo, but that doesn’t mean much because it’s still a great game. You build a base, collect resources to build subsections of the bases where you can make troops and vehicles, you have a limit to how many you can make, but you can lift that to be higher. There is a ton of unit variety in this game, and you can upgrade all of your troops/vehicles to the point where they are ultimate death machines and when you have that, it’s amazing to watch them go to work. There are also special units like Spartans that have special abilities such as hijacking vehicles.

The story is also pretty solid, you get to see more of the Covenant and what it was like at the beginning of the war, and how humanity just kept on losing. The multiplayer is fairly fun and requires a lot of skill to win, you can also play as the Covenant and control the different species which is really fun, you can also play against the AI. and legendary is super difficult in this game and the final mission is probably one of the hardest video game experiences I’ve ever had.

In all this game is pretty fun and requires a lot of strategy, but I don’t feel like it’s as addicting as the other games(unless you are a strategy game fan) but it is still pretty solid and if you are a halo fan I recommend giving it a chance.

Halo 3: ODST
You are the Rookie, your job is to solve the mystery of what happened and reunite with your squad

This is closer to the normal Halo we know but at the same time fairly different. Instead of a Spartan you are an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (ODST), timeline wise in the middle of Halo 2. The gameplay is very similar to Halo 3 but the way you throw grenades is a bit different, more of an upwards arc, and you have no shields, only armor and health (armor gets burned away quickly and recharges somehow). enemies are a bit more limited to whoever was around during the middle of halo 2 on earth, but they are still very difficult and fun to fight, more challenging too because you are not a Spartan just a really tough dud for the most part. There is this new wave defense Co-op mode known as Firefight, which is bassically wave defense, but you have to be smart about it, what weapons are you gonna use? When do you use them? When do you use the warthog? very strategic, has you really plan out what you’re gonna do as the waves get harder. No online PvP multiplayer though.

The story is where this game really shines, sure the main character the Rookie is pretty one dimensional as he doesn’t speak at all, but the other ODST have some of the most memorable lines and are so full of character, it’s great that you can play as them as well, this is truly a character driven story, basically a squad, a family trying to reunite, not to mention legendary being maybe even harder than halo 2

ODST is a solid game and is definitely worth playing, mechanics are solid and the story is great, characters are memorable, there’s really not too much to hate about this one.

3 Likes

(I got so wrapped up in H5, sorry)

BTW I have permission to double post here

Halo Reach
From the beginning, you know the end.

The last Halo game that Bungie made (and before Bungie turned to crap) Halo Reach is the game were they poured as much as they could into it, but came up short in a few spots. Gameplay wise, it still has that Halo feel to it, now though, there are armor abilities, it replaces equipment and allows your Spartan to have an extra ability. They range from Active Camo (which is kind of crappy here) to holograms and a few others. Some people hate them, some people like them, I think they’re fine, except for Armor Lock that one is OP and annoying. In certain game modes you have loadouts, in which you can pick what you start with (though they are pre set and usually the only difference is the armor ability). Firefight returns from ODST only revamped to have multiple game modes and you can edit the options to an extreme degree, like giving yourself infinite rockets and fighting nothing but Brute Chieftains. It is so much fun and even when you’re playing classic mode it still requires strategy and tactics to best the Covies. Multiplayer has been blown out with a bunch of new game modes so you can play however you want to. Custom games has been revamped so you can do whatever you want and make whatever wacky game modes you want.

Forge has also been revamped, with the ultimate Forge map, Forge World, so many different places where you can build structures, with a bunch of new tools, and being able to build from scratch, like building giant statues or even gigantic vehicles and vessels, I have seen UNSC ships, Star Destroyers, the Normandy, it’s amazing what people are able to do with this. The customization is also great, from Visor color (though there are only 5) to helmets, knee pads, helmet attachments, shoulders, you truly can look very unique. However Elite customization is meh, as you have pre set armors that you cannot mix and match. Now lets get to the story, honestly, in a way it’s fantastic. The mission design is unique and different, one mission you are clearing out an ONI facility, one you are evacuating a city, another you are literally flying in space. The mission design is fantastic and the missions are all incredibly varied. It also really gets across the feeling a planetary war being waged. Where it falls short is character development, only a few of the Spartans I actually cared about, we didn’t get enough development with all of them because we didn’t really spend enough time with them. However the last mission is probably the best/only way to end this game, and it is pretty epic.

Halo Reach is a great sendoff for Bungie and a fantastic game in general, the problems hold it back, but it is worth a pick up even if you are not a Halo fan.

Halo 4
An ancient evil has risen and it is your job to stop it.

Halo 4 takes place 4 years after Halo 3 and quite a bit has changed. Gameplay wise we have some different armor abilities and an entirely new branch of weapons that belong to the Prometheans, Forerunner servants, with disintegration weapons that were used to combat the flood, though some range from OP to useless sadly. In multiplayer we have custom loadouts where you can choose what you start with, now I personally did not like this, as even though it’s only a few select weapons like BR’s, Carbine’s or AR’s, it still feels a little unbalanced at times and that’s no fun. There is also Ordinance which I did not like, it basically gives you a free weapon/power up after you get a certain amount of points. Power weapons also have waypoints on the map, which I didn’t mind but I would have preferred it not to be, as every single weapon is pointed out, memorizing the map layout doesn’t really matter all too much weapon wise as a result. Though the multiplayer is fun and full of variety like the past Halo’s, custom games is still a lot of fun to mess around with. Forge though feels like a big downgrade, as you have 3 different environments, which while they are fine on their own, they are not suitable forge world replacements. However forge does have magnets now, so it’s easier to snap items together and they would look more cohesive.

Spartan ops replaces Firefight, but it is not as customizable and it is story driven, 10 episodes and 5 chapters in each. It’s only fun with friends, otherwise it’s really boring soloing it as there is no penalty for dying, even on legendary, the cutscenes are beautiful though. The story though, is very character driven, as Chief actually shows emotion for really the first time, an aging warrior who actually fears something for the first time, as an ancient evil rises he has to fight it and hope he can save everyone he cares about. My only real criticism is that it is very linear, you still have to use strategy on the higher difficulties, but it’s not as open and sandbox like as the others are.

Halo 4 is a great game, there are some things I don’t like, but in all I still really do like it, The campaign story is fantastic, the multiplayer is fun, Spartan ops is alright, forge is okay, and the game is a lot of fun, so I still recommend it.

4 Likes

When can we expect a H5 review?

1 Like

as soon as I finish it, still playing

1 Like

Suggestion for future reviews: Soulsborne games.
Demon’s Souls

Dark Souls(maybe Prepare To Die edition if you play on PC)

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin(it’s the updated better version of Dark Souls 2)

Bloodborne the Old Hunters edition(you will need a PS4)