Minions: The Rise of Gru

Okay, but I have low expectations for the movie. I don’t hate Minions; in fact, I find them to be charming and often funny. I enjoyed the first two movies, and the Minions spinoff movie. The third movie…wasn’t great, but I think Minions: The Rise Of Gru will be even worse.

The main reason I feel this way is because it’s centered around Gru. I guess that for a Despicable Me prequel, centering around a young Gru makes sense. But the thing is, the Minions movies are supposed to be spinoffs of Despicable Me. By definition, a spinoff is a movie where a side character is given the lead role. By making the main character of Despicable Me the main character of a Minions spinoff, it defeats the purpose of a spinoff. Gru’s cameo at the end of the first Minions movie worked, because it was a CAMEO. But a starring role…yeah, that would be better for a prequel that’s just “Rise of Gru.”

This one’s nitpicky, but the voice acting in the trailer (for Gru, at least) was pretty bad. I like Steve Carell as much as the next guy, but in the movie, Gru’s supposed to be 12. And in the trailer, he sounds like he’s 40.

But also, I feel like the Despicable Me franchise is overstaying its welcome. Like I said before, I wanted to like the third one, but it just wasn’t that good. And apparently there’s gonna be a fourth one. Hoo boy. Ice Age proved how an animated franchise that was cute and funny to start with can decay until it’s just dumb sequel after dumb sequel. And unfortunately, it looks like Despicable Me might go the same route.

3 Likes

Honestly the first two movies the minions weren’t bad but past that the minions are useless. The third movie didn’t need them; their plot effected nothing and solo they’re just annoying. Who know though; maybe gru will save this movie from the annoying jelly beans that serve no purpose otherwise.

5 Likes

The first two movies were good, everything else that came afterwards was not. I think Minions 2 will be no different.

While they were quite charming and funny in the first two movies, the Minions have become nothing but annoying merchandise tools at this point.
I don’t think I’ll even watch Minions 2 to be honest.

3 Likes

The first two Despicable Me movies were…Really alright. But then Minions and Despicable Me 3 appeared and they were garbage honestly. Remember how much merch they had? I still have nightmares. I have pretty much no interest in Rise of Gru.

Oh, and let’s remember it’s also getting a LEGO theme…Which is nothing more interesting than the movie itself.

3 Likes

Crazy parts usage people would probably say otherwise

3 Likes

Possible, even though they barely introduce any new molds except the Minion ones. But, let us all admit, the sets are…bad , only with the exception of the Chinese one. ( on which I have no idea about why it’s a thing in this line) and maybe the big Minions, even though I think they look really weird.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen the sets yet

2 Likes

I have to agree with @Toa_Radrix here, those sets are pretty bad. As much as I am not a fan of the Trolls sets either, I think that line has far better sets and pieces compared to this one.

3 Likes

I know most people are saying how bad these sets are but I have to disagree. You see, when I was a young boi I loved the minions and made it my mission to hence collect every single minion related thing, and I now rather shamefully own a 60+ piece minion armada. I even designed my own stuff, including some minions Lego sets, aka some awful drawings of vaguely Lego shaped things. Probably just me, but this is a childhood dream come true, so I’m probably going to buy the lot. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve always been indifferent to Juniors sets, and these are no exception. I might get the motorcycle set, just because, but the rest…I’m not interested.

I agree, the whole prison plotline didn’t go anywhere.

2 Likes

The movie about the twinkie people doesn’t interest me. Will I bricklink the red bananas and tan boomerangs from this theme? Probably.

7 Likes

The 1st despicable me movie was (at least in my opinion) unironically a masterpiece. Such a heart warming theme, distinct aesthetic, charismatic and memorable antagonist (“Oh yeahhh-Vectorrr!”) andddd the right amount of minions. However the rest of the franchises movies…I just pretend they didn’t happen :laughing: and same with this latest one.

9 Likes

I’d also add despicable me 2 wasn’t too bad on that front but the third the minions prison plot was entirely pointless and changed nothing and minions was about as good as you’d think their own movie would be.

3 Likes

It’s not as though it is destroying the purpose of a prequel to Despicable Me. Through their popularity Minions have become their own entity, dominating and even becoming the face of Illumination. So The Rise of Gru is more like a spinoff of whom should have been the face of the franchise, but instead got shown the backlight by these creepy little yellow devils. Besides, just because he has a starring role doesn’t mean that he will be the focus, rather maybe more of the target of the main minions’ attention.

I’m not looking forward to seeing this, but my mother is a sucker for this shtuff so I bear it for her enjoyment.

2 Likes

We’ve all done that for family. Me and my mom saw all the twilight movies as they were coming out; don’t ask what was wrong with me becuase I don’t know.

2 Likes

Very accurate description for minions.

2 Likes

TFW you didn’t know about any of this.

3 Likes

The dojo set with the red bananas seems to have been canceled or delayed. It doesn’t appear on lego’s website.

4 Likes

Lego delayed all of the minions sets except for like two because the movie was set to come out sometime in 2021.

4 Likes

Honestly I wish they just cancel the movie instead or at least release it digitally only. I pirated minions online when it was out and even I felt ripped off.

4 Likes