MOC advice/help

That sucks. I guess I’ll just stick with the wide shouldered torso.

http://i.imgur.com/Y4NGaEI.jpg

You mean something like the piece on the right? Comes with Kylo Ren, Rey and Finn from the Star Wars CCBS sets.

1 Like

That’s not what I meant, but I could make it work. My MOC’s colour scheme is orange, burnt orange and silver, are there any of the piece on the left in a fitting colour?

Mmh, not entirely sure what you mean then. Chances are you may be better off making a custom body.

The piece on the left as far as i am aware is only available in Black and Dark Tan. Black with Kylo Ren. Dark Tan with Rey and Finn.

1 Like

Hey.

This may seem like a dumb question and I want to at least get some input in for a MoC I am in the process of building but…

Is this considered legal?

4 Likes

pretty sure that’s illegal

It’s definitely Illegal. However, I’ve done it before and no pieces were damaged.

1 Like

Technically illegal, but people do it all the time with the miru nuva.

Alright, thanks. If it doesn’t hurt the pieces and is something people do regularly, I’ll keep it. I was planning to use this for a head for the MOC, part of it at least.

1 Like

does anybody have ideas for metru shoulders that allow for articulation, yet have a narrow (even narrow-ish) shoulder width?

Never tried this, but you could use the shoulders as intended inside a thigh bone, and have the other side of the thigh bone have a 2x axle and ball joint. Idk how well that’d do with articulation tho.

Could you get a picture or word that differently? Im having a hard time visualizing what you mean.
oh, and also because I didnt mention it above: I am trying to retain the gear function (I just put a Technic ball piece on the axle from the gearbox)

I could, but my suggestion doesn’t work if you want to retain the gear. Another option is the upper arms on this MOC. If you don’t mind stressing the pieces and limiting articulation a bit, I believe it works with the original thigh piece instead of the two pieces WCP uses.

I might try that. I dont have any spare metru shoulder armor, but I could probably find an alternative

Maybe something like this?

2 Likes

Anyone have any suggestions for custom heads for Hordika/Inika masks?

1 Like

I’m bringing this back for some help with a stability check.

I’m working on an entry for a future Canon Contest, and I’ve found myself using this connection:

The idea is that this would be a shoulder joint that attaches as such:

I’ve already tested it with my own parts, and it seems to work pretty well, but I’d like to know if other people have the same success (especially given the stability issues that the last two Canon Contest winners have had).

If anyone can build this with their own parts, would you say the shoulder joint holds up good enough? Or does it fall apart when you try and pose it?

(Also, I know I could use a 3 axle and a ball joint with a through-hole; I’ve already got that lined up as a backup, but the through-hole ball doesn’t come in the colour I want. I’m hoping that the solid ball will be stable enough.)

3 Likes

Yeah, the grip strength on solid balls is notoriously variable. The ones actually produced when Bionicle was around have remarkably loose axle connections, and should never really be used to hold up any weight, whereas the later ones hold up just fine and have even sturdier connections than the hollow ones.

Luckily, coloured balls only really started appearing after Bionicle’s end, but I know for a fact that red, lime and old light grey balls were produced earlier.

A good way to tell the old loose ones from the newer sturdy ones is the finish: old balls were produced with a matte finish that generally matched the texture of all masks from 2003 onwards, while the later ones are noticeably shinier and more closely match the texture of regular bricks.

3 Likes

Sweet.

I intend to use dark blue ones, which only came out in 2021, so I should be good.

I’m still a little concerned about the fact that the axle won’t be going fully into one of the balls, but it at least sounds like my test wasn’t just a fluke.

2 Likes

Can you use those balls with a hole in the middle? you could put longer piece through them then. it will certainly not fall

and use these. they do not prevent movement.