Natale Mortalis (self-MOC)

It seems a bit strange that I’ve shown off my Hero Factory self-MOC here before but not my Bionicle self-MOC. This is probably because, despite being first created in September 2015, I don’t have much of a story to share for him (at least not yet, he’s part of an unrelated lore that’s largely separate from G1 entirely). Might as well share what I can anyway. :slight_smile:

Natale Mortalis

Species: Lesser Fairy
Kanohi: Kraahkan, Great Mask of Shadows
Pieces: ~180

This is Natale Mortalis, a former mask maker from the Kingdom of Marlina, later chosen by His Majesty King Antaedymn to serve as an ambassador to the Marlinan branch of the Brotherhood of Makuta, a position he holds to this day, and trained as a warrior.

…and that’s all I can really share right now story-wise. :sweat_smile: I still have a lot to develop as far as that goes, so here are some facts about the MOC itself.
As for the character, Natale is someone who doesn’t like to share a lot about himself. He’s got a good professional relationship with most of the Brothers, made really good friends with one of their ranks named Madilim, was once in a relationship with a strange Toa of Fire in purple and white armor, and recently came into the company of a strange, bat-like Rahi named Morin–pictured below–whom he believes may possibly be spiritually linked to a friend who recently passed away, but other than that there’s little Natale is willing to reveal unless he’s comfortable enough to trust you. And that’s just the way he likes it.

Facts About Natale’s Figure

• Natale was first created right around the time I had gotten into Bionicle G2. The mask was the very first thing I chose about him and everything else came next.
    – In this canon, the Kraahkan doesn’t have powers over elemental shadow like in prime universe G1 canon. Rather, this Kraahkan has power over moral shadow; the user’s dark emotions and those of those around him can enhance his own physical strength and elemental powers (the latter of which is not applicable to Natale, but the Kraahkan is not a one-of-a-kind mask like it was in G1). Ditto for the Avohkii and light-based abilities.
  • The very first iteration of this MOC was build around 75111 Darth Vader, so all future versions continued to have the Vader-esque design.
  • His name has a much simpler etymology than would be standard for my future MOCs. Rather than mixing and matching words in Google Translate, I just searched up male forms of the name “Natalie” and remembered a Delphox I used to use in Pokemon wi-fi battles named Fatalis (“Fatalis”–>fatal–>mortal–>“Mortalis”).
  • I’ve lost count of how many versions I’ve made since first making him in September 2015, but this version you’re seeing here is current as of May 2023.
  • The mask is built around a 2015 Toa head.
  • The legs use some cut axles (hence the ~ in the part count). Natale remains one of the very few MOCs in my collection that uses illegal methods other than painting things.
  • Needless to say, I have this MOC built in real life. I’m simply using a Studio render here as I don’t currently have a proper setup to take pictures.
23 Likes

oooo this looks super cool!

1 Like

Ah this moc looks pretty good. I like the dark, ominous look it has and the weapon is neat. Nice job

1 Like

Wait, there are capes in stud.io?

Not by default, no. These came from Kardas’s parts pack.

Very very cool moc! I love the cape and the lore is quite interesting!

A Fae, you say? Rather odd that the Ambassador of Marlina is one to whom you should never speak your name, but very interesting nonetheless.

Any chance you might have a link? Or at least could tell me where to find it?

1 Like

Here you go. If that doesn’t work (as I’ve had trouble sharing that link in the past), contact Kardas#5493 on Discord.

1 Like

Amazing, thank you!

Looks pretty cool, the cape is a pretty nice idea for him, same for the hail wings.
And that bat Rahi works quite well.

1 Like

I like this design. It looks like a good version of Makuta while still keeping the shadow theme. Laser staff is also great.

I also quite like the story. I like people making their own iterations of BIONICLE in general, and this sounds like a very interesting version, with its own differences and similarities. I like the mystery about what this version of Brotherhood exactly is.

Will we later know more about this world?

But I have a small suggestion. G1 often added its own word to a real world word: Manas Crabs, Kanohi Masks, Toa Heroes, and so on. A sapient species being named simply Fairy sounds strange in context of BIONICLE. I would add a name to word Fairy, so that it is Lesser (insert name) Fairy, like say Muaka Tiger, and not just Tiger.

1 Like

Eventually. I’ve been developing it on-and-off for almost as long as I’ve been into Bionicle, adding ideas, scrapping ideas, loving ideas, hating ideas, etc.

A fair observation to make, but Natale isn’t really a G1 character. This world takes elements from G1 and G2, but is largely its own thing entirely.

3 Likes

I am aware of that this is not G1. I just thought Fairy alone sounded weird even in context of a different BIONICLE iteration.

Still definitively much better than G2 using cumbersome titles as character names, such as the infamous Lord of Skull Spiders.

1 Like