Nebunie - The Mentalist (Gilahu's BP Makuta revamps)

Name: Nebunie
Kanohi: Matatu, Great Mask of Telekinesis
Assigned region: None, (Konora)

The powers of the mind, when wielded correctly, can be more effective than any weapon, any conflict, any belief.

Nebunie realized this early on.

She and her brethren created multitudes of Rahi species – but what good were they to the universe if not equipped with proper minds? Many Makuta steeled their bodies and honed their martial skills – but why bother if all you really needed was a thought? The expenditure of a tiny bit of mental energy at the right spot, and your enemies grovel before you while the people love you. Teridax understood this, and Teridax would make it so.

In the early years of the Brotherhood, Nebunie worked primarily in the field of Rahi programming, devising virus strains that could induce certain behaviors and even true intelligence. It was an important, respected job, but never one that put her too much in the spotlight, as other Makuta started to take her fundamental work and create their own virus strains from it. Nevertheless, Nebunie’s expertise in matters of the mind was often called on, and many a Rahi project counted her as one of the contributors.

From Rahi programming, Nebunie’s interests gradually shifted to the minds of Oropi (= sapient species). Particularly psionic abilities fascinated her. She had studied the various psionic powers the Makuta possess – Telepathy, Mind Reading, Rahi Control, Insect Control, Mental Illusion, Fear, Anger and Confusion – but clearly, the element of Psionics contained much more. A pool of powers any Makuta could just access via auxiliary means: Kanohi, weapons, technical devices. Nebunie had mastered her Kanohi Matatu to the point where utilizing its abilities barely demanded a thought, but take away the mask, and with it the power of Telekinesis would vanish.

Teridax’s plan to overthrow the Great Spirit sounded ambitious to Nebunie, but believing in Teridax’s charisma and skill, she supported him, sensing also opportunities for her own work arising from it.

With the secret turn of the Brotherhood, obtaining test subjects for her mental experiments became much easier for Nebunie. By kidnapping beings with natural Psionic abilities, she got to know the strengths and weaknesses of each, and also managed to hone her own skills beyond what was thought capable by her brethren – not only did Nebunie learn how to shield her mind from others, but she also discovered how to put enough force into her telepathy to deliver mental blasts. Even her power of Rahi Control seemed to gain increased potency, clearly making weak-willed beings like Matoran uncomfortable when used on them, though a more significant effect could not be achieved.

Teridax eventually approached Nebunie about her contribution to the Plan. With her expertise in mental matters, she was to develop a device that could be used to sedate beings and erase their memories. Her reward was governorship of the island of Konoara, which recently was vacated. Nebunie never payed much attention to this region, however, preferring to pursue her work in her lab on Destral.
Much later, an advanced version of her device would be used in Metru Nui where it was incorporated into the Matoran Spheres.

Nebunie did not live to see the culmination of Teridax’s Plan, however. The exact circumstances of her death are unclear, but Energized Protodermis played a part in it. Perhaps it was a failed self-experiment to enhance her powers. Perhaps it was he result of one of her victims managing to retaliate. In any case, the death of Nebunie was the death of the most psionically versatile member of the Brotherhood.

Equipment:

Nebunie wore the Kanohi Matatu, Great Mask of Telekinesis, which she used with exceptional skill. She hardly ever had the need to use any weapons, but her preferred tool was the Mindslasher, a blade rumored to have been forged from the bones of a Toa of Psionics. The Mindslasher was capable of enhancing the mental fortitude of its wielder, thus strengthening psionic abilities. Additionally, it was capable of dispelling psionic effects on touch, thus being able to free beings from mind control effects or illusions – or severing their telepathic ties to allies. It was particularly useful against beings relying on psionic abilities, each strike effectively robbing such a being of all their powers for a short moment.

And here’s the next Makuta, @MysteryMuffin 's Makuta Nebunie.
For easier comparison:
Makuta Nebunie

I might have slightly overdone it with the cloak this time around - I spent more time on it than on the actual MOC. Just wish a couple things on the cloak turned out better, but it’s still a learning process for me. First time I’ve done lining of the edges and second time I did a hood, after all. Personally not a big fan of how the front part of the hood turned out (maybe I’ll revisit it someday), but otherwise the hood shape is actually better than I hoped for. Looks quite nice from the side, I think.
The custom head was at the same time quite tough to construct and came together rather quickly. Guess I’m getting better there, too. Though the centerpiece of the front is just wedged in. It’s surprisingly stable, though.

And I think this time around I also managed quite well to make a cloak-wearing MOC look good without the cloak. Usually I’m allowing myself some compromises on the back and top of the torso on such MOCs.

So that’s Makuta number 21. And number 22 will probably follow soon, since just today I placed a bricklink order for the missing Carapar shells for Belgahn.
Now on to replenish my stock of silver parts…

But anyways, enjoy and feel free to give C&C!

30 Likes

oo i love it!
the torso and head are by far the best parts, you are very good at custom head builds mate!

5 Likes

Ah, very nice. I think the gunmetal rather than silver was a good choice for the head, looks way better like this, the cloth is really nice on her as well.

5 Likes

she looks amazing! u did an exceptional job adapting a crappy makuta i made very young into a interesting and cool character.

4 Likes

… it has really been almost 7 years already, hasn’t it? Wow.

Though to be fair, the build of the original might have been simple, but I wouldn’t call it bad. There’s definitely been a lot worse entered into the Brotherhood Project. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

eh, you’re not wrong lol. maybe one day i’ll revisit my makuta tho.

4 Likes