New Horizon's journey to Pluto

I don’t know about you guys, but Pluto has always been my favorite planet, ever since I was little I was fascinated by the little world

On January 19th 2006 the NASA space probe “New Horizons” launched and I have followed it repeatedly, waiting for the probe to get to Pluto and this month it finally happens, on July 14th it will begin its first flyby of Pluto and we will get actual images of what it looks like, here is the first thing we have of Pluto
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/nh-7-3-15_color_rotation_movie_nasa-jhuapl-swri.gif

13 Likes

Finally, this is great.
Sadly(?) it has sort of been overshadowed by Philae. Which is good, at least it’s not a Kardashian hogging the news, but New Horizons should be getting just as much attention as Philae.

I’ve been waiting for this for since I was in 5th grade. It’ll be so exiting to see what Pluto actually looks like, instead of author’s interpretations.

3 Likes

I’m actually surprised from this video that Charon is much darker then Pluto is

seems like we both have the same dreams chronicler :smile:

2 Likes

I imagined Pluto to be just a grey blob :/.
Also
Pwor Pwooto. Eet’s nawt a pwanet anymoe. :cry:

6 Likes

this infuriated me to no end, Pluto is a planet darn it

I hear that scientists are trying to make it a planet again

7 Likes

16 Likes

another reason for me to be on Cap’s side

but on the subject of New Horizon’s, it has taken a lot of other photos that are still amazing

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/170756main_tvashtar.jpg

5 Likes

I love how Captain America is saying Pluto is a planet, because the time he became Captain America it really was considered a planet. :smiley:

And then modern-science Tony Stark says it isn’t. This is perfect for the circumstances, :smiley:

@Middlefingerstudios What are the other pictures of? Other dwarf planets?

4 Likes

jupiter’s 4 largest moons

2 Likes

Ah. So it shot the pictures in black and white? Because those moons do have some pretty colors.

yeah it’s strange, some are in black and white, yet the Pluto images we have so far are in color

and yeah the moons are pretty

I know. Perhaps it wants to take up more processing power on Pluto’s colors?

1 Like

maybe, Pluto is like 3.8 billion miles away after all :laughing:

1 Like

I really don’t see what’s so wrong about Pluto being a dwarf planet.

All you need to say in addition is the word “dwarf”.

1 Like

Huh. It’s a lot more tan than I envisioned it being.
I should follow this news as it develops.

3 Likes

WE ARE GETTING THE PICTURES ON MY BIRTHDAY… July 14th.

when I was little I said I want to get pictures of Pluto on my birthday and it is HAPPENING!!!

BRING ON THE HYPE!!! GIVE ME YO LOVE!!! (if you have any for me :disappointed:)

3 Likes

How come i’ve never been aware of this

1 Like

my problem is that they don’t consider it part of the main planets any more

[quote=“Overlord_Ghosty, post:18, topic:10437, full:true”]
How come i’ve never been aware of this
[/quote]well now you are, and it’s awesome :smile:

2 Likes

Well, at least I have something to look forward too in this very uneventful summer vacation. :smile:

4 Likes