Nidhiki: Toa, Traitor, Monster (Duckbricks fanon contest entry)

Hi everyone!
I was (and still am) in the middle of a power read of the Biological Chronicles when I decided to try and make a MOC of Toa Nidhiki and I started with a very basic metru build trying to mirror Lhikan (and avoid similarities with Iruini) making Nidhiki dark green with silver armor.
Now, bear in mind that this is my first time using Stud.io, so I apologize if the renders are not the best.

Then the Duckbrick fanon contest started and I realized that he’s supposed to have only “emerald” armor.
So I decided to try to incorporate as many shades of green as possible (4 in the end: lime, green, dark green and sand green) trying to mimick the different shades that an emerald may have when hit by different intensities of light and from different angles. This way he gets a sort of mimetic color scheme which I think fits well with the power of his Volitak (the mask of stealth, which in my mind works like the Yautja’s camouflage from Predator) and the fact that he lived in a dangerous land (the Tren Krom peninsula) where he learned to be sneaky in order to survive.

I wanted to keep a sort of metru vibe in the build, but I also wanted to make it different, like @Bukkey toa Tuyet that won the other fanon contest. I considered taking inspiration from toa Krakua, who is from the same land, but considering that they are from different time period and that Krakua became a toa under the Order of Mata Nui, these factors may have weighted heavily on his appearence.

For the air scythe I wanted to use the Takanuva blade considering how prominent it is on Nidhiki’s titan set, but I also wanted to avoid to make it look too similar to the movie version of Takanuva’s weapon.
(yes, it can be stored on his back)

I added some black highlight to reflect the state of his armor during the war with the Dark Hunters and I opted for a cleaner “gearless” look for the back (like in the movies).

Even if I may sound like an extremist, I wanted to avoid system pieces and keep him a purely technic build. Also I used only parts in colors that exist because I wanted to make this a buildable figure in real life.
Lastly a big shoutout to @Galva_Nize for the design of the non aquatic Volitak.
Heroes of The Lost [MASK PACK #5] by Galva - Thingiverse
The Galvapack (Naming Day Edition).zip - Google Drive

Edit:
Seeing as everyone else is specifying it, my Nidhiki is shorter than Lhikan and for two reasons:

1. It seams that everyone is making him taller and I wanted to do something different.
  2. considering how much Roodaka’s Rhotuka can drastically change a being (ex. the toa hagah, from tall toa to matoran sized Rahaga) I don’t see why It should be any different for Nidhiki.
17 Likes

Pretty nice build. Although I get your logic for having four different greens, I think it makes the moc look a little messy. Maybe just sticking to two or three greens would have been better. Personally I would remove the lime, but nonetheless the shaping is nice, and the scythe is also pretty cool.

4 Likes

Didn’t know the chunkier hips were compatible with the Metru torso. Show’s what I know😅

4 Likes

@Toa-Panem I used a 6536 piece connected via a 3l axle. This way it works almost as the standard metru hips.

2 Likes

@T4k4nuv4 I get what you’re saying and I understand that the use of lime can be divisive.
Sadly the 57563 blades don’t come in any other shade of green and I really like the silhouette that they give him.

3 Likes

ah cool
i like the build overall, tho i do feel that the arms are just a little to chunky in comparison to the torso, still looks good tho
nice job

3 Likes

@Rhyla416 yeah, I tried to compress the shoulder as much as possible, but the standard technique to add articulation to them really bulks them up and I couldn’t think at another solution.

3 Likes

Wow, I personally really love this build! I will echo a couple of people’s sentiment on the colours, and personally I would have kept the Technic, connector 47296 in dark green rather than sand green. Other than that, I think this build works a dream, and the shoulder armour is maybe done a little better here than mine!

3 Likes

Little edit about height.

1 Like

Voting is now open:

may the best/worst toa win.

3 Likes