Tuyet, the Toa Mangai of Water (ver.Bu / MOC for canon contest)

Hi friends! :blush: :blush: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
With 810Days and Hagah’s art contest, the board is getting more and more exciting. I’m glad to see that!

The other day, I finally finished the Tuyet MOC for Contest.
I’ll announce it right away! :wink:

" Did you ever think we could do more good if we stopped worrying so much about who might get hurt in the process? " ─Tuyet

【Toa Tuyet (ver.Bu / for “Canon” contest)】

【Data】
Kanohi : Mask of Intangibility
Tool : Barbed Broadsword
Element : Water
Notes : Toa Mangai of water

【Concept】

“You and I have been friends for thousands of years. We’ve traveled together, fought together, and once almost died together.”

…This is the Lhikan’s saying.
Translation, at least Tuyet and Lhikan has their relationship for thouthands years, and not handrets years.

And Greg said “Lhikan’s teammates may had armors that similar with Lhikan’s”.
I don’t know this words means “Toa Mangai” or “Pre-Mangai”, but at least Tuyet was a his mates for very long time, so I think she was original member of Pre-Mangai, and had similar armor with him.
(I originally had a headcanon that Tuyet was a member of Pre-Mangai, but there was no proof.
However, reading @Dag 's excellent report gave me confidence in this hypothesis, so I built the MOC this way.)

And The Darkblue-Metro-Torso is one of Tuyet’s imaginaly design that shared by many fans.
I choose to take care this “Traditional Tuyet”, unlike my Nidhiki(I explain the reason later) as a clearly select for “MOC for canon contest”, but I also thought this:

“Simply ‘Dark-Nokama’ is too boring - If I using Metru Torso, I must challenge to something”.

When we build a woman’s BIO-being, we tend to pursue a “feminine” design by making her shoulders narrower.
However, there is also the fact that BIO-Being has a body structure that has nothing to do with gender, so a body type that is too “provocative” can be controversial both as a canon and as an opinion, and explicitly forbidden in contests.
(Honestly, realy realy honestly, I like also such build)

But in other words, I felt it was very “challenge worthy” as long as the expression was “not provocative”.
(In fact, in the movie, Nokama and Gali were arranged in a “feminine” way, without any “provocative” expressions.)

And we must check the point - Tuyet is such a dangerous and talentful person, who can acts as the “Queen of the Empire” in the alternate universe.

So I rearranged the fan-favorite shoulder joint for Metru-torso and built her shoulders at an angle, with no illegal connections.
This makes her looks “a little narrower than Lhikan’s shoulder length” and “her shoulder armor is bigger than Lhikan’s”.

This gives her both the impression of femininity and the impression of a dangerous woman warrior like Amazones or female militaly soldier.
I think you can feel this.

【Armor design】

I also used Vacuum shield, which is very popular piece when adopted KK’s mask.
I did harmonized by placing the “exhaust port” design common to both of them throughout.

Also, due to the design of the shield, there’s a gap in the middle of her “chest armor.”
I decided to tighten up the overall impression by surrounding it with a tire with a pattern that looks like a ripple, inspired by a heartlight.
(If there is a heart or some kind of power source in the water, there will naturally be ripples on its surface by its energy. I expressed this fact for as she is a Toa of water)

Her foot has little spiked heel at the to make it both effective in battle and expressing feminine.
(High heels are not practical in combat, so we did not adopt them, but since most Toa do not have heels to begin with, and have flat soles, the mere presence of these “small realistic-sized heels” allows for both femininity and practicality in battle, like Pohatu’s Foot additions or a combat boots)

【Barbed Broadsword】

The barbed broadsword, was a particularly difficult part of the process. The spiky feature was absolutely impossible to ignore, but shape had to be a sword, not a club, so I stayed up all night for 2 days just to get it right, thus destroying the rhythm of my own life. :joy:

(Personally, it would have been easier to build a thin or very big sword, but the fact that it was a “broadsword” and it was very difficult to build it as “Looks powerful, but not big ridiculously”.)
(I also paid attention to the refinement and lightness of the design so that it would be easy to play as a MOC, which resulted in me building and breaking many prototypes and suffering a lot. But in the end, I was able to build a BB that I was happy with.)

" You and I have been friends for thousands of years. We’ve traveled together, fought together, and once almost died together. " ─Lhikan

Thank you! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :blush: :blush:
※(About Instruction, I will share it when entring contest!)
※(The NuiStone in last photo is just my headcanon version, and I built it just for taking the photo only)

100 Likes

Very, very nice. The armor colors and shaping are great. The sword is also really creative. Great job :wink:

4 Likes

That has got to be one of the best designs for Tuyet’s sword that I’ve ever seen!

11 Likes

Thank you @Rukah !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I can’t built more good BBsword only my own skills! :angel:
But I’m so glad you like it! :stuck_out_tongue: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @TheCobaltCorsair !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m so glad you said so! :relaxed: :relaxed: :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Great Tuyet.

Also because it shares pretty much all the core aspects with mine :stuck_out_tongue:

Being relevant for the contest, and looking that good, I spent some time analyzing the individual aspects of the MOC and would like to share those. Maybe you find some of this useful. My aim is constructive criticism, so I hope this comes across as such and is not seen as me being negative about everything. Also, of course, this is just my personal opinion.

MOC in total:

• as said, looks great as a whole
  • reasoning behind using a Metru torso is understandable, but I wonder if this might not keep the MOC back a bit - because it necessitates this awkward shoulder connection (I personally really do not like how the Metru shoulder mod looks)
  • also, this is way too detailed to fit in perfectly with Lhikan’s set - I am of course of the opinion that it doesn’t need to, but then the use of the Metru torso feels, again, somewhat limiting of a choice

Arms:

• kinda only the shoulders to adress here: as said, I do not like the Metru torso shoulder mod because I think it looks awkward, but you have to be commended for not making it illegal. If the necessary additional contraption on the back of the shoulders is visually worth it, however, is probably debatable. I suppose it’s at least not visible from the front.

Legs:

• Upper legs: I think two design choices here are not perfect:
    a) the back of the upper legs is too thick by half a unit in my eyes, and thus looks a bit awkward. Unfortunately, they way this is built does not allow for something that would move the Metru armor inwards this one half of a unit. I’d thus personally recommend a different upper leg build, also because:
    b) those connector pieces used on the front - the upper one extends on the sides right to below the ball socket. I know from expereience that this poses issues with fitting a Metru hip. Basically, it makes it impossible to reach a 90° angle straight downwards. I definitely understand the problem of building decent custom upper legs on that scale, though.
  • Feet: as someone who pays lots of attention to poseability, Slizer heads as feet have always made me uncomfortable because of the ankle orientation they demand. Limiting the gunmetal only to the upper body looks really good, but maybe using gunmetal Metru feet and some more gunmetal somewhere else on the legs might also work, and improve the feet. Alternatively, of course, black Metru feet are also an option. It is a shame because Slizer feet are actually looking good, but those ankles…

Sword:

• first impression: really nice
  • second impression: still nice, but it’s more… ridged than barbed? Plus the “barbs” do not look very offensive, which I believe some Gregquote said? (Something along the lines of “the barbs are there to cause more severe wounds”)
  • third impression - those Thornax launcher pieces look like they’re a little bit under stress, being forced outwards by the sword’s core?

That’s it, I think. Perhaps this sparks some ideas for further improvement. Gotta support future entries that use designs I agree with if these contests have to happen :wink: .

7 Likes

Really nice MOC, I really hope she ends in the finals. I love the sword design, the barbed part works really well, while it still looks like a sword.

I really like the overall design. I find her just a little too detailed to fit with Lhikan, but that just me nitpicking. My only concern is I’m not sure how stable is that shoulder build.

About feet posability, maybe you could use the Piraka arm instead, to give her more forward and backward movement

3 Likes

Thank you @Gilahu !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

I read your advices, and I feel they are very effective! :wink:
The opinions I can offer are as follows. (Conversely, I agree with most of the others, so I’m considering improving them)

As for Feet, this is intentional.
It’s natural to feel uncomfortable because this connection is unfamiliar “for BIONICLE”, but I also have other action figures in my collection such as S.H.Figuarts.
What I have gained as a result of this experience is that each character requires a different range of motion, and a common joint structure is not necessarily better.
Her weapon is a sword, and when posing with a sword (example, swinging), the most important thing is “stepping on it” and “center of gravity”, and in this case, the figure needs “an ankle that can move sideways and widely”.
The disadvantage of the “common” BIONICLE foot is that while it has a wide range of motion back and forth, it has a narrow lateral rotation range, which prevents the figure from taking a strong step when the legs are spread wide.
(As you can see by actually moving your ankle, the human ankle does not move back and forth very much. Most BIONICLE feet rarely use their full range of motion, which is almost 90 degrees. So I choose this method for Tuyet )

And about sword’s Thornax launcher pieces is, yes.
But they were originally designed to be pressed and deformed (deliberately stressed) by the finger to fire the Thornax, so they are made softer than other parts and very hard to break.
There was no other way to do this, but I adopted it because I wanted to demonstrate this "softness that makes it possible.

But Thank you many advices! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I noticed after being warned that her thighs in particular were getting too thick.
After all, I realized that human need to get a good night’s sleep to function properly… :innocent: :partying_face:
Now I have to fix her, after sleeping… :rofl:

Thank you @Huemus !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
About her shoulder, I think it has enough stable.
As you can see, it’s a little shaky, but she can hold the sword steady and it won’t fall off naturally.
(At least it has strong more than original Krakua’s shoulder)

About forward and backward movement, I’ve already said.
But thank you for your advice! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

Fair enough. I considered that as well after seeing this picture:

Since you’re using limb pieces for the lower legs, this does of course mean more freedom in articulation in all directions since there’s room above the balljoint. I suppose that could be seen as both benefitting “normal” feet to function better sideways as well as Slizer feet to function somewhat on the “normal” axis.

5 Likes

Sword is cool.

But Metru Tuyet… :hauboutno:

She’s really cool. I like how the Heartlight section looks. I like how the Vents look. The Sword is pretty great as well. The only thing I’m not a fan of are the red eyes, as it makes the fact that the eyes turn red when the Nui stone is in use kinda redundant. But it makes sense considering the standard eye colors.

Could you please stop with complaining so much about the Metru torso. It gets annoying.

9 Likes

Metru Tuyet and Metru Nidhiki is stuff that just shouldn’t get into canon

And why? It is not impossible. If people see them as Metru then let them.
You should stop being so extreme about one little thing.

And as this gets off topic please continue it somewhere else.

11 Likes

Fantastic! Each of your builds is so thought out and wonderfully put together! You’ve got my vote for the contest. I really wish I had the pieces to build this right now

3 Likes

Well I know what I’m voting for in the contest.

It’s this, by the way.

2 Likes

Thank you @TTheLus ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m so glad you like the sword! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And I understand that you hate Metru-torso, but I recommend talking about this in the discussion topic from now on.This is “Metru-torso’s topic”. :sweat:
(I didn’t really care this time, but this way of talking can lead to a fight depending on the situation with the other party. Please be careful!)
But again, I’m really glad you liked my sword! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you @Senit !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m sorry about the red eye! :rofl:
I chose this color because I like Tuyet’s glittering red eyes against the dark blue armor. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And I’m grateful to you that you like her heartlight!

Thank you @anon55031085 ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m so glad you like my style! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
It’s also my obsession that Tuyet is Metru-body and Nidhiki is not (I don’t know if both can win, but at least in my headcanon, they so).

Thank you @Eilrach !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
Thank you for vote in future! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you @ToaArcan !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
Thank you for vote in future, you too! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :joy:

5 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

Thank you @Takutanuva !! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And I succeeded in correcting the shortcomings in the range of motion and the thickness of the thighs that were pointed out, without losing her powerful impression as a swordwomen and with little change in the design itself.
(I will not change the Metru body as it is a fundamental concept. I apologize for that)

Thank you again @Gilahu !!
Your adviced hepled me to make her looks better! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

ADD:

I forgot to mention this: I concentrated the circular hole detailing on her back in a barnacle motif to harmonize the necessary structure of her shoulder structure with the aesthetic of her appearance. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

18 Likes

Super neat sword, it’s not bulky, it not too large, it fits perfectly and has the spiky vibe.

1 Like

Thank you @SFtheGreat ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

It was very difficult work. but I’m glad finishing this!

That’s a great improvement on the thighs!

I personally find adding Exo force robot arms like this a bit too flimsy of a connection, but I cannot deny that they really round off the upper legs here.

It’s also unfortunate that this 2L axle connector doesn’t come in dark blue. I think that’d be the little bit that’d really make it perfect in appearance. Alas, it’s not to be…
Hm… have you looked into making one of the sockets in the upper legs dark blue? I think that extra bit of colour could work.

2 Likes