(NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 4)

Takua and the Toa Metru have escaped the shores of Metru Nui, guided by Vakama’s vision of the Sea Gates. But they’re not quite out of danger just yet…

––––––––––––––––––––
Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape

Section 4: Beyond Metru Nui
––––––––––

The Sea Gate (Past 2-16)

In days long past… after a few hours of navigating the Silver Sea, the all-encompassing wall of the Great Barrier comes into view.
“Look!” Vakama points. Sure enough, embedded into the barrier is a massive gate, made of two doors clearly meant to slide open.
“That’s one of the gates,” Dume declares. “Take us there, Matau!”
––

As Matau steers the transport— along with Nokama’s help— to face the great gates, Vakama stands with Nuju, Onewa, Lhikan, and Takua on the vessel’s side.
“The false Dume ordered this Gate, along with most others, closed,” Lhikan notes.
“It’s partly made of stone,” Onewa notes. “I could use my powers to try and get them open.”
“I’ll aid you with my mask,” Nuju adds.

The two Toa set to work opening the Gate, putting all their focus into moving the massive doors.
––

On the other side of the vessel, Nokama uses her powers to try and calm the turbulent seas around them.
“So—” Vakama begins to Lhikan.
––

Suddenly, Teridax come crashing down from the sky, causing the vessel to rock violently as he lands.
“Whoaaa!” Whenua is thrown into the sea as the others are knocked back.
“Brother!!” Nokama cries.
––

As Nokama dives in after Whenua, Lhikan steps forward to face Teridax.
“You have forsaken your duty, Makuta,” Lhikan declares. “I will see to it you regret that choice.”
––

Teridax chuckles. “Oh, really?” In one swift move, he grabs the Toa of Fire with his clawed hand. “And how will you do that?”

With great swiftness, Teridax throws Lhikan to the deck of the vessel, dislodging his mask in the process. “You are an insect compared to me, Toa.” Lhikan groans, barely holding onto consciousness.
––

Teridax turns to face the others… or rather, the other, as only Takua remains.
The Makuta laughs. “So Vakama has abandoned you, little Takua. Not very Toa-like, hmm? Though, perhaps he is smarter than most, knowing not to stand against me.”
Takua, unsure of where Vakama could’ve gone, stares up at the towering figure of the Makuta, trembling. “I… I will not cower in fear of you, M-Makuta,” he says shakily. “By Mata Nui, I w-will stand firm!”

––––––––––

The Mask of Time (Past 2-17)

In days long past… “By Mata Nui, I w-will stand firm!” Takua says.
“Takua,” Teridax coos, “I can feel your fear. You wish to run, to hide, to be anywhere but here. You cannot hope to resist me, little one. But bow to me, and perhaps I could spare you…”
––

Behind Teridax, a subtle shadow flits across the deck of the vessel.

Toa Vakama reveals himself, a faint glow emitting from his mask, which he’d used to conceal himself and flank Teridax.
“So that’s what it does,” he muses to himself, before turning his attention to his foe. “Makuta! Leave our Chronicler alone, and face me now!”
––

“Ah, Vakama,” Teridax begins as he turns. “Come to face your doom?”
“No, Makuta,” Vakama replies. “This ends here.”
––

The Toa of Fire dons a strange mask, seething with power. Teridax stares in amazement.
“Could it be…?” he wonders aloud. “Yes, it must be… the Mask of Time.”
Vakama nods.
Teridax chuckles. “It seems I made my choice of mask-maker well. But you cannot possibly hope to control such a powerful mask, Toa. Hand it over, and I will see to it you and your friends are spared.”
For an instant, Vakama considers this. But the thought of Takua’s defiant stand against the Makuta fills the Toa with courage. He shakes his head.
“Leave us, Makuta, and release the Matoran of Metru Nui. Now.”
––

“Foolish Toa!” Teridax cackles. “I will destroy everything you hold dear. Now, give that mask to me!” He lunges at the Toa.
“No!!!” Fueled by his fiery will, Vakama activates the mask. It’s power courses through his very being as an orange glow envelops him. “You may have taken the Great Spirit from us, Makuta… but you will not take my friends!” With the mask’s power, he traps the Makuta in a bubble of slowed time, bringing Teridax to a near-standstill.
––

Just then, Nokama sloshes back up onto the vessel with a thud, Whenua in tow.
“Vakama?” she asks. “What—”
“Hurry! I’ve got the Makuta pinned, but I can’t hold him forever. We must get him away!”
––

“Consider it done.” Nokama draws her hydro blades and calms her mind. She taps into her power, reaching out into the churning waters around them. “Into the sea with you, Makuta!”
––

A great wave rises out of the sea. It crashes over the deck, targeting only the Makuta. Teridax is carried into the sea by the wave, still trapped in slowed-time bubble unable to resist.
“I’ll hold him in time for as long as I can,” Vakama says, “but we have to get out of here!”
“Hey,” Whenua calls to Onewa and Nuju on the other side of the ship, “how close are you with that gate?”
“Aaaaand done!” Onewa voice echoes back, followed by a deep thud. Sure enough, the Sea Gate has been opened, revealing a dimly lit tunnel beyond.
––

“Make for the gate!” Turaga Dume booms in the cockpit.
“On it!” Matau expertly pilots the vessel, fighting against the roiling sea, and sends it into the tunnel beyond the gates.
––

“I can’t… hold him much longer,” Vakama strains as he stands at the back of the vessel, the distance from his target forcing him to increase his concentration. “Close the gates!”
“With all our strength, brother!” Onewa cries. He and Nuju channel all their focus into shutting the gates.
––

“There!” Nuju exclaims. The Sea Gate closes with a booming thud. He and Onewa slump down in exhaustion. “We did it, Vakama.”
“Yes…” Vakama’s voice is filled with a weary relief. “We did…” And with that the Toa of Fire passes out.
Takua rushes over to him.
“Is be okay?” Onewa asks worriedly.
“He’s breathing!” Takua replies. “Thank Mata Nui, he’s breathing.”
“It appears using that mask took a great deal of energy,” Nuju notes. “I imagine he needs some rest.”
Takua nods. “And after what he just did… he absolutely deserves it.”

––––––––––

A Moment’s Respite (Past 2-18)

In days long past… Takua, Dume, and Lhikan stand by Matau in the cockpit of the transport. Dume clutches the Mask of Time in his hand.
“At this pace” the Turaga begins, “we should be out of this tunnel by day’s end, and reach land within another day of that…” he trails off.
“You still doubt our choice to leave Metru Nui?” Lhikan asks.
Dume sighs. “I do not like abandoning the city. But…if Vakama’s visions were indeed granted by Mata Nui, then we shall heed them.”
––

Dume gazes down at the mask in his hand. “And given what he has done for us… I am inclined to give Vakama the benefit of the doubt.”
––

“It certainly is a powerful tool,” Lhikan says.
The Turaga nods in agreement. “And having this mask in our possession might dissuade Teridax from pursuing us anytime soon. For all his might, even he is not immune to Time itself.”
––

“Vakama is awakening.” The group turn to see Nuju entering the cockpit. “The others are with him now.”
“Thank goodness.” Lhikan breathes a sigh of relief.
“I shall return this mask to him, once he’s had a moment to gather himself.” Dume states.
––

“Sooo…” Takua begins. “Where do we go from here? What do we do now?”
“We have rescued six Matoran from Metru Nui,” Lhikan says. “In doing so, we have safeguarded a small part of the Heart of Metru Nui.”
“In time, we will save the others,” Nuju continues.
“And eventually take back Metru Nui,” Dume follows. “But for now… we will find a place to make landfall and find a way to awaken the Matoran we’ve saved.“
“What about the Great Spirit?” Takua asks. “Is he… is he really asleep?”
Lhikan nods. “The world itself has felt different since Teridax’s declaration. I fear Mata Nui is indeed slumbering… and I shudder at whatever further schemes the Makuta has planned.”
“The future is very uncertain indeed,” Dume muses.
“But so long as we stay United,” Takua says, “we’ll overcome whatever the future brings.” All nod in agreement, gazing trepidatiously out of the cockpit at the dimly lit sea tunnel ahead.

––––––––––

Passing of the Torch (Past 2-19)

In days long past… “There!” Turaga Dume points ahead. “Land at last!” After exiting the great tunnel, the group have spent another day sailing the sea.
“Finally!” Matau exclaims. “I’m slow-getting tired here!”
––

Matau drives the transport onto the shore. The group disembark, quickly detaching the spheres from the vehicle, setting them on the beach. The party then gathers around one of the spheres.
“So,” begins Vakama, “how do we open them?”
“Nokama and I couldn’t figure anything out,” Whenua says.
––

Toa Lhikan kneels down and places a hand on the pod.
“There seems to be no mechanism I can find for opening these,” he notes.
“Were they even meant to be opened?” Onewa inquires.
“The pod Turaga Dume was in opened,” Takua reasons, “so these should too.”
“Yes…” Lhikan trails off. Then, his eyes light up with a realization. “I believe I know how we can open these…”
––

A glowing orb of energy flows from Lhikan’s hand. “So long as the Heart of Metru Nui persists,” he says softly, “all hope is not lost.” Tendrils of light extend from the orb in his hand, enveloping all six Matoran Spheres.
“Through my power as a Toa… let these Matoran awaken!” The orb explodes in a flash of light, bright and warm.
––

As the light subsides…
“Toa Lhikan…?” Vakama asks the small figure.
“No, Vakama,” he replies. “I am a Toa no longer. My Destiny has been fulfilled, and my Toa Power spent. I… am a Turaga now.”
“Turaga… Lhikan…” Onewa says. “Doesn’t quite sound right.”
Lhikan chuckles. “But Toa Lhikan is no longer needed. For now we have you, Toa Metru.”
Suddenly, a soft hiss emits from each of the six pods, signifying that they can be opened.
“And if the last of my Toa Power went into awakening these Matoran,” Lhikan says, “then I will have done my Duty, Now it’s your time, Toa Metru.”
The group remain silent for a moment.
“Yes,” Vakama finally speaks, “our time.”
“We won’t let you down, Turaga,” Matau says.
“I have faith you won’t,” Lhikan replies warmly.
“Now let’s go wake up our friends!” Takua says eagerly.

––––––––––

Awakening (Past 2-20)

From the first sphere…
“Pokepi,” Nuju greets the Ko-Matoran. “It is good to see a fellow scholar here.”
“Toa Nuju?” Pokepi asks, a little dazed. “Where am I?”
––

From the second sphere…
“Mitua!” Whenua smiles at the Onu-Matoran who steps out.
“Whenua? Is that you?” he asks. “What’s going on?”
––

From the third sphere emerges…
“Huki!” Takua beams as he seems his friend.
“Good to see one of Po-Metru’s finest here,” Onewa says.
“Takua! Toa Onewa!” Huki smiles, clasping hands with his friend. Suddenly, he begins to look around worriedly. “Wait, wait! I Where’s…?”
––

“Hello, Maku,” Nokama says warmly as the Matoran steps out from the fourth sphere.
“Maku!” Takua and Huki rush over to see the Ga-Matoran.
“Huki… Takua…” she says softly.
“We’re safe now,” Huki says. Takua places a hand on Maku’s shoulder.
“Those pods…” Maku shudders. Looking around, she then asks “So, where are we?”
––

From the fifth sphere…
“Hey, Nuparu!” Matau beams. “My ever-favorite inventor of wacky new vehicles!”
“Matau! My favorite test driver!” Nuparu smiles, then looks around. “So… what’s going on?“
––

And from the sixth sphere…
“Who’re you?” Takua asks the silver Matoran.
“Feron,” he replies, “investigative liaison. Who’re you?”
“I’m Takua!”
“The one the Vahki are always after, huh? Pleased to finally meet ya!” Feron gazes around at the unfamiliar beach. “So tell me, Takua… where are we?”
––

The six Matoran gather, murmuring among themselves.
“Okay, what’s going on?” Nuparu asks.
“And where are we?” Feron adds.
“Much has transpired,” Turaga Dume says. “But all will be told, Matoran.”
“Perhaps our resident Chronicler can tell the tale,” Lhikan suggests warmly.
“A good idea, Turaga,” Vakama nods.

––––––––––

Hope for the Future (Past 2-21)

In days long past… “And that’s everything.” Takua finishes telling the tale of the previous days’ events to the gathered Matoran. They sit in a circle on the beach, accompanied by Turaga Lhikan.
“So… the mythical Makuta has cast the Great Spirit into slumber, taken over our home… and we’re the only ones who escaped?” Mitua asks, his voice full of disbelief.
Turaga Lhikan nods. “By the strength and resourcefulness of the Toa Metru, we’ve made it here, to safety.”
––

“So… where are we now?” asks Huki.
“According to Turaga Dume, we are on the Northern Continent,” Lhikan replies. “A much larger place than Metru Nui.”
––

“And what do we do from here?” Feron inquires.
“We regroup,” the Turaga answers. “Hopefully, we will find some aid.”
“And then rescue the rest of our friends!” Takua finishes.
––

“Indeed.” The group turn to see Turaga Dume approaching, accompanied by Vakama and Nokama. “When the time is right, we will save the other Matoran, and reclaim our home. But for now… we remain here.”
“We’ve set up camp a short ways off the beach,” Vakama speaks. “I suggest you all go and get some rest.”
“Follow me, friends,” Nokama says.
––

As the other Matoran follow Nokama inland, Takua joins the Turaga and Vakama as they gaze out to the sprawling sea.
“The Heart of Metru Nui will not be abandoned,” Vakama says, his voice full of determination.
“Indeed not.” Dume nods. “Our home may be lost, and Mata Nui may be asleep… but so long as we remain, there is yet hope for Metru Nui and its people.”
––

Turaga Dume and Vakama turn and leave. Lhikan steps to stand beside Takua, who is still gazing out to sea.
“I’ll save you…” Takua whispers to himself. “Just, hang in there, Jala…”
“We will save them all, in due time,” Lhikan assures the Chronicler.
“Yes.” Takua nods resolutely, as he thinks of his friends trapped in Metru Nui. “By Mata Nui, I swear… we will save them.”

––––––––––––––––––––

The Vahi, forged and used. The last of Lhikan’s Toa Power spent awakening the six Matoran saved from the City of Legends. And now, our heroes are somewhere on the shores of the Northern Continent. This band of fifteen who have defied the Makuta will be known as the Exiles of Metru Nui. And they have a great many adventures ahead of them…

Previous Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 3)

Next Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 3: Exiles of Metru Nui (Section 1)
––––––––––

This concludes Past Pt. 2: The Great Escape! From here, the story will really start to depart from the canon timeline, as our heroes escape into the wider MU, not out to the island above.
Past Pt. 3: The Exiles of Metru Nui might take a little longer to produce; I’m only about halfway through writing and photography, maybe even a little less. I know the general idea of where things need to go, but the actual getting from point to point takes a bit of time and thought. However, Past Pt. 4 is much more clearly plotted out already (and like, halfway finished with the writing side of things). Then we’ll see Past Pt. 5… and that will be the end of the Past Storyline!

Massive shoutout to @-toaferon on Insta, who allowed me to use his titular Fe-Matoran self-MOC in my cast of characters! Feron is going to be a crucial addition to the Exiles in their coming travels!

And I wanna give a huge thanks to the people who’ve been following the story of the NLAU thusfar– I’ve always wanted to tell my own Bionicle legend, ever since I was a derpy, awkward tween. It feels really good to finally be telling a cohesive tale of my own, and seeing the handful of you that comment and engage truly makes all of it worthwhile. Big things are coming for the NLAU– and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed by what happens!

If anyone has any questions about my AU (or me, for whatever reason) this is an open invitation to ask!

5 Likes

Ooh very nice! Can’t wait to see how this progresses, and there’s a lot of interesting parts as well, such as Lhikan’s destiny and how they defeated Teridax.

1 Like

The defeat of Teridax is one of the big pivotal moments of the AU. It shows that this universe’s Vakama is capable of using the Vahi without being overcome by it. But also– it means that the Makuta is not imprisoned in a Toa Seal. This will have… consequences…
And yes– the awakening of those six Matoran is of great importance; thus it is part of Lhikan’s destiny!

1 Like

this is super good!

1 Like

really cool, love the changes to the story that you’ve made

1 Like