(NLAU) Past, Pt. 3: Exiles of Metru Nui (Section 1)

The Toa Metru, along with Takua, Turaga Dume, Turaga Lhikan, and six Matoran, have escaped from Metru Nui. Now, they must navigate their way through the wider Matoran Universe, in the wake of Mata Nui falling into slumber.

––––––––––––––––––––
Past, Pt. 3: Exiles of Metru Nui

Section 1: Exiled
––––––––––

Moving Forward (Past 3-1)

In days long past… (1 day after Exile) Turaga Dume holds council with the chosen leaders of the company. Lhikan, Vakama, and Takua all gather with him to discuss the future.
“We should investigate that Sea Gate,” Vakama says. “We don’t want an unexpected visit from the Makuta.”
“Indeed,” Lhikan nods.
––

“I doubt Teridax would follow us so soon,” Dume says. “Especially given your possession of the Mask of Time.”
Vakama winces, as the memory of using the mask returns. “Yes… But it would still be good to see if the Sea Gate is still usable.”
––

Dume nods. “Then who shall go to investigate?”
“It would be best for Matau to take the Transport,” Vakama suggests. “Accompanied by Nokama, Onewa, and Nuju.”
“I agree,” Dume concurs. “I shall accompany them as well.”
––

“Meanwhile… we need someone to figure where we are here on the continent. We should get to a settlement as soon as we can.”
“I’ll go!” Takua volunteers eagerly.
“Yes,” Lhikan nods, “I think Takua would be well suited for a scouting mission.”
––

“Very well.” Turaga Dume steps forward to face Takua. “This is of great importance, Chronicler. I trust you won’t let us down.“
“You can count on me,” Takua replies.
“You should take a couple fellow Matoran with you,” Vakama says. “And bring Whenua as well.”
––

Takua dashes to where most of the other Matoran are gathered. “Friends! I have an important mission! We need to scout out the area and find out where we are! I need a couple friends to join me!”
––

Maku hops up from where she sits. “I’ll go, I’ll go!”
“I’ll come with as well,” Feron says. “I’ve been on the continent before, so I could be of some assistance.”
––

“Alright!” Takua grins. “Huki, take care of the others while I’m gone.”
“Don’t let ‘em talk your ears off, now” Feron chuckles.
“Be safe out there, you three!” Huki smiles, waving farewell to the trio.
––

Takua leads his friends to where Toa Whenua is waiting.
“Hey, buddy!” Whenua grins. “You ready to go?”
“We are!” Takua nods.
“Let’s go!”

––––––––––

Directions (Past 3-2)

In days long past… (2 days after exile) “They’re called Yoyoh turtles!” The scouting parting are gathered around a small turtle, as Whenua draws upon his knowledge from working in the Archives.
––

“It’s so cute!” Maku grins.
“Can’t say I’ve ever seen one in Metru Nui,” Feron notes.
Whenua shakes his head. “They aren’t native. But apparently they are native here…”
––

“Look!” Maku points to the horizon. A tall green figure approaches the group. Whenua steps in front of the Matoran.
“Who’re you?” he asks suspiciously.
“No need for alarm,” the figure responds, smiling and waving. “I mean no harm! I’m Bahthank. And who are you?”
––

Takua steps forward. “We are travelers. This land is unfamiliar to us, and we could use some directions to the nearest settlement.”
“I see!” Bahthank eyes the group. “Well, where do you hail from, hm?”
––

“We’re from Metru Nui!” Maku exclaims. “We’re the last survivors of the city! The Makuta has taken over, the Great Spirit Mata Nui has been cast into slumber, and we barely escaped!”
“Maku!” Takua hisses. “We don’t need to tell him all of that!”
Bahthank looks over at Maku. “Is that so? Well… I am truly sorry to hear that, little Matoran.”
––

“As for directions… the nearest town is Hyra, about a day’s walk from here. And not too far from there is the port city of Gohmo Nui.”
“I’ve been to Gohmo Nui,” Feron says to Whenua. “Lovely city, I might add.”
Whenua nods. “Thank you, Bahthank. We’d better be getting back to camp.”
––

The party nod in agreement and depart.
“You should’ve told him where we were camped, too,” Feron jokes at Maku as they leave.
“Hey, he seemed friendly,” Maku replies sheepishly.
––

As the party leaves, Bahthank pulls out a small device.
“Hey, boss,” he speaks into it. “I’ve got some very interesting news I think you’d like to hear…”

––––––––––

Returning to Camp (Past 3-3)

In days long past… (3 days after exile) As the scouting party returns to camp, they are greeted by Nuparu.
“You’re back!” He smiles. “And just in time— Huki is about to show off how he smashes boulders with his head!”
“I gotta see this,” Whenua says eagerly.
––

As Maku and Whenua follow Nuparu, Takua and Feron go to where Lhikan stands, atop a small hill.
“Welcome back, Chronicler,” the Turaga says. “Was your voyage successful?”
“Yes, Turaga.” Takua nods. “Apparently, we are near the village of Hyra, which is close to Gohmo Nui.”
––

“I can’t say I’ve heard of either…”
“I’ve been to Gohmo Nui before,” Feron says. “I stayed there for a time, years and years ago. I might still know a few people around there.”
“Delightful!” The Turaga smiles. “It is good to have you with us, Feron.”
––

“By the way… where’s Vakama?” Takua asks.
“Vakama? He was on the beach last I saw.”
“Thank you, Turaga!” Takua smiles. “Let’s go, Feron.”
––

As Takua and Feron head to the beach, they pass the gathered Matoran.
“Hngggg…” Huki groans from where he lays on the ground.
“That certainly was a sight to see!” Whenua booms.
Nuparu nods eagerly. “The way that last one split was marvelous!”
“Will… will he be alright?” Pokepi asks quietly from behind Maku.
“I’m sure he’ll be fine,” she replies, as she kneels above Huki. “If he learns not to be such a boulder-brained
––

Takua and Feron reach the beach, where Vakama sits, gazing at the Vahi.
“Is he alright?” Feron asks quietly.
“I’m not sure…”
––

“Vakama?” Takua speaks as they approach. The Toa of Fire turns, startled.
“Oh, Takua. Did you need something?”
“I came to see if you were alright,” Takua replies.
––

“Oh?” Vakama smiles softly. “Well, I appreciate that.” The Toa places a hand on Takua’s shoulder. “You truly are a gift from Mata Nui himself.”
“I’ll say,” Feron chimes in, grinning. “After all, if he weren’t here, Huki would be in charge of the Matoran!” They all share a hearty laugh.
“Now,” Vakama says, “let’s get back to the others, shall we?”

––––––––––

Downtime (Past 3-4)

In days long past… (4 days after exile) “So we saw a Yoyoh turtle out there!” Whenua says.
“Ahhh, yes,” Mitua responds. “I presume it was only one?”
“That’s right,” Feron confirms. “Why’s that?”
––

“Yoyoh Turtles are very solitary creatures,” Mitua explains. “From my time studying them, I’ve learned that putting two together is rarely a good idea.”
“Why’s that?” Takua asks.

“Because they’re territorial! Obviously.” Mitua responds, exasperated. “And when two of them fight, it can get nasty. They may appear small, but they’re remarkably strong…” Mitua trails off, lost in thought.
“Uh… you alright?” Feron asks.
––

“I miss the Archives,” Mitua finally says, with a dejected sigh. “I hope all the Rahi are okay…”
“I’m sure they’ll be fine,” Takua says, trying to comfort the Onu-Matoran.
“And we’ll get back to them soon.” Nuparu adds.
––

Later on, Takua wanders off to the nearby cave. Inside, Turaga Lhikan appears to be telling stories to Maku and Huki, while Pokepi hangs back.
“Hello,” Takua whispers to the Ko-Matoran.
“Oh! Hiya,” responds Pokepi.
––

“Why haven’t you joined them?” Takua asks, motioning to the other Matoran.
Pokepi looks away. “Well, I mean… I wasn’t asked to come sit with them… I don’t want to be a bother.”
––

Takua gazes at the Ko-Matoran a moment. “Well, I’m doing to go sit with them and listen to the Turaga’s stories. Would you like to come sit with me?”
“Mmmmm…” Pokepi shifts in place for a moment. “I… alright. I’ll come sit with you.”
––

Takua smiles, turning and striding over to the others to sit. Pokepi quietly follows, sitting right beside Takua. Maku looks over at Takua with a smile, and Takua returns it.
“Ahhh, welcome,” the Turaga says warmly. “Now, where was I?”
“Four Toa of Ice!” Huki says, excitedly.
“Ahhh, yes, that’s right…”

––––––––––

News from the Gate (3-5)

In days long past… (7 days after exile) Vakama, Lhikan, Takua, and Nuparu gather on the beach, watching as the Vahki Transport slowly sails towards the shore.
“I wonder what they found,” Nuparu says.
“Hopefully it’s good news!” Takua replies.
––

The vessel crawls ashore, stopping a short ways up the beach. Nuju and Onewa exit the vessel first.
“Welcome back,” Lhikan says.
“Did you make it to the sea gate?” Vakama asks.
Nuju nods. “The gate has been barred,” he explains. “Some shadowy energy encases the door, and a great bar of metal blocks them.”
––

“We were attacked by Rahkshi,” Onewa says. “The were stationed on the bar. As soon as they saw us, they leapt down to assault us.”
“Fortunately, we were able to defeat them all,” Nuju adds.
“So, the Makuta doesn’t want us returning to Metru Nui,” Vakama concludes. “Well, I’m glad everyone made it back safely. The others back at camp will be eager to see you’ve returned.”
––

As Onewa and Nuju return to the main camp, Nokama, Matau, and Turaga Dume disembark from the transport.
“We’re back!” Matau says, waving. “Did ya miss us?” Nuparu and Takua chuckle at the boisterous Toa of Air.
“I presume the others filled you in?” Dume asks, stepping forward.
Lhikan nods. “Indeed.”
“And the scouting party?”
“They were successful as well.” Vakama motions to Takua.
“We determined that we are near to the town of Hyra, and that the city of Gohmo Nui is not far from there,” the Matoran shares.
––

Dume nods. “Excellent. Now–” Suddenly, a screeching hiss rings out from the vessel. In one swift motion, a green Rahkshi leaps down, swinging it’s staff into Matau, who lets out a cry of pain.
“Brother!” Vakama yells, as Matau’s body crumples to the ground.
––

The Rahkshi screeches, and swings its staff again, aiming for Dume.
“Turaga, look out!” Nokama dashes and shoves the Turaga out of the way, taking the hit from the staff with a yell.
“Nokama!” Takua cries, instinctively stepping forward.
“Stay back!” Lhikan booms, stepping in front of the Matoran.
––

“With me, Lhikan.” The two Turaga step forward, extending their hands. Upon each forms a small orb of elemental Fire.

Vakama rummages through his disks, until at last he finds a Weakness disk. He loads it into his launcher.

“Now!” Vakama launches his Weakness disk hits, causing the Rahkshi to stumble. Then, the twin beams of Fire from the Turaga knock it down.
––

Vakama steps forward. “Whenua said…” He opens the spine of the Rahkshi to find its pulsing Kraata. “Yes.” With a blast of Fire, he incinerates the Kraata.
––

With the threat dispatched, the Turaga and Matoran hurry over to where Nokama has collapsed.
“It looks like poison,” Lhikan concludes.
“Poison…” Vakama shuffles through his disks, but finds no Remove Poison disks. “Blast.”
––

“What happened?” Onewa exclaims as he and Nuju rush over.
“A Rahkshi snuck aboard,” Dume says. “It poisoned Nokama and Matau.”
––

“See?!” Onewa spins to face Nuju. “I told you we didn’t get them all!”
“I didn’t see any more.” Nuju replies.
“I counted six, and only saw five bodies,” Onewa continues. “I’d think a scholar would understand counting.”
––

“And yet when you searched the vessel, you found nothing,” Nuju retorts.
Onewa’s temper rises. “Oh, this is MY fault?”
“Hey, stop!” Takua steps forward, trying in vain to end the argument.
“If you’d taken it seriously, we would’ve found the creature!”
“Taking anything you say seriously is a perilous endeavor.”
“Oh, you–”
––

“Stop!” The two quickly step back as a bolt of fire passes between them.
Vakama stands with his hand extended. “That’s enough, from both of you.”
––

“But–” Onewa protests.
“Every second spent arguing further jeopardizes Matau’s and Nokama’s lives!” Vakama snaps. “Now, come help them back to camp.”
––

Lhikan accompanies the two Toa carrying Nokama to camp. Dume shakes his head.
“Even from afar, the Makuta sows disunity,” he laments.
“But they listened to you, at least,” Takua says to Vakama.
“Barely. But now, my concern is how to help Matau and Nokama.”

––––––––––

In Need of a Disk (Past 3-6)

In days long past (7 days after exile)…The Leaders of the Exiles gather to discuss their next plan of action.
“So what do we do?” Takua asks worriedly. “How are we gonna heal Matau and Nokama??”
––

“There’s little chance of us finding someone who who has the skill to counteract the poison nearby,” Lhikan says gravely.
Dume nods. “Our best chance is likely in Gohmo Nui.”
––

“If we could get Remove Poison Kanoka disks, even just one,” Vakama points out, “that should be able to heal them.”
“And the best place for their would also be Gohmo Nui.” Dume says conclusively. “It’s settled: We must dispatch a party for Gohmo Nui at once.”
––

“I could fly there with my disk launcher,” Vakama offers.
Lhikan shakes his head. “No, you cannot go alone. Especially not with the Mask of Time in your possession. There might be agents of the Makuta tracking our every move.”
––

Takua raises his hand. “I could take a small party. Feron says he’s been there before, so he could help.”
Dume nods. “Yes, a wise idea. If you bring at least one Toa with you, that should make for a sufficient group.”
––

“You should bring either Onewa or Nuju,” Vakama suggests. “They’re still fuming at each other; the distance will hopefully give them time to think things through.”
Takua nods. “Alright. I’ll assemble the party now.”
––

Takua strides off, followed by Vakama.
“We’re putting a lot of faith in him,” Dume remarks.
“He’s changed,” Lhikan replies. “His involvement with the Toa Metru has given him a Duty he can commit to.”
“And should he abandon that? As he so often did his work in Metru Nui?”
“He won’t abandon this,” Lhikan assures. “I have faith in him.”
––

Takua and Vakama enter the Exiles’ cavern, where Nokama and Matau lay unconscious. Maku tends to the two, while Mitua and Whenua huddle together to the side, trying to think of any Rahi that could be of help.
“I’m going to lead a party to Gohmo Nui to try and find aid,” Takua says.
Maku nods. “Thank Mata Nui. They’re stable for now, but I don’t know how long that’ll last."
––

Takua and Vakama then walk to the rest of the Exiles, who have gathered near the beach.
Takua begins, “I’m leading a group to Gohmo Nui. Feron?”
Feron nods. “You can count on me.”
“Good. And I’ll need a Toa as well… Onewa, I’d like—”
––

“Who are you to be telling me what to do?” Onewa’s voice makes a Takea Shark’s teeth look dull in comparison. Vakama shoots a glare at the Toa of Stone. Onewa continues, “I don’t see why I should take orders from a pesky Matoran.”
––

Vakama storms up to face Onewa. “Perhaps you’ve forgotten just who it was that risked his life to bring us together in the first place?”
“Big deal. He’s just a tagalong at this point.”
“I haven’t seen you stand your ground alone against the Makuta,” Vakama retorts.
“Are you calling me a coward, hothead? Why, I—”
––

“Enough!” The sound of the Toa of Ice raising his voice instantly brings quiet. “I will gladly accompany Takua to Gohmo Nui,” Nuju says, “especially if it means not hearing you two bicker.”
––

Takua, Nuju, and Feron gather at the edge of camp. Dume and Lhikan come to bid them farewell.
“We’ll seek out Turaga Tovuna when we arrive,” Feron says.
Dume nods. “Yes, he will likely be amenable to our plight. But don’t tell any more than is necessary of our circumstances— not yet. We must be wary of who we trust.”
“Agreed,” Nuju concurs.
“Safe travels, friends,” Lhikan says, his usual warmth somewhat tempered. “May the Great Spirit guide your way.” Spirit guide your way.”
“We’ll be back soon,” Takua assures them. “I promise.”

––––––––––––––––––––
The Exiles have hardly left their home city, and already they are in grave peril. Will Takua, Feron, and Nuju be able to find help in time for the poisoned Toa Metru?

Previous Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 2: The Great Escape (Section 4)

*Next Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 3: Exiles of Metru Nui (Section 2)

––––––––––
It’s been a bit since I posted an update for the NLAU, but Part 3 has finally finished up, so I’ll be posting it here in the coming weeks! Takua and the rest of the Exiles have a lot of adventures they’re gonna get up to, so stay tuned to find out more!

4 Likes