(NLAU) Past, Pt. 3: Exiles of Metru Nui (Section 2)

Two of the Toa Metru lay poisoned. Tensions run high among the Exiles. Now, Takua leads Feron and Toa Nuju to the city of Gohmo Nui, in hopes of finding some aid for their poisoned friends…

––––––––––––––––––––
Past, Pt. 3: Exiles of Metru Nui

Section 2: Gohmo Nui
––––––––––

Off to Gohmo Nui (Past 3-7)

In days long past… (8 days after exile)
Takua, Feron, and Nuju traverse rolling hills on their way to Gohmo Nui.
“So, how long ago were you there?” Takua asks Feron.
“Oh, about 1,000 years ago,” Feron replies. “I‘d stopped off there to await an airship to Metru Nui, but ended up getting sidetracked helping the dock officials find some missing cargo.”
––

“How long did you end up staying there?”
“10 years!” Feron laughs. “And it wasn’t just because that case took that long! I ended up finding a lot of work, and meeting some interesting friends.”
––

“And you’re familiar with the Turaga of the city?” Nuju’s voice startles the pair.
Feron nods. “Turaga Tovuna employed my help to solve a fair few mysteries.”
“Then he should be willing to aid us… assuming he still presides there.”
“Hopefully since you’re with us, he’ll be inclined to lend us a Kanoka disk,” Takua says to Nuju.
“Indeed.” The group falls silent for a moment.
––

Takua’s thoughts drift to back the previous day.
“Nuju… do you think I’m just… a tagalong?”
Nuju turns to face the Matoran. “No. I do not.”
“I just—”
––

“Onewa was still worked up from before,” Nuju interjects. “He wasn’t thinking clearly, and spoke without consideration. If the Turaga trust you enough to include you in their councils, then I trust you.”
Takua smiles, softly. “Thank you…”
“Now, let us continue,” says Nuju. “With any luck, we’ll be there within a two days.”

––––––––––

Gohmo Nui Gates (Past 3-8)

In days long past… (10 days after exile) After a few days’ trek, Takua’s party finally reaches Gohmo Nui. A sizable wall surrounds the entirety of the city. As the group approach a great gate, they are met by a sentry.
“Greetings, travelers,” the sentry says. “What business brings you to Gohmo Nui?”
“We seek aid,” Takua explains. “A couple of our friends were recently poisoned!”
––

“I see…” The sentry eyes the party.
“Do you not trust us?” Nuju asks. “Not trust in a Toa?”
“Forgive me, but things have been rather hectic lately, ever since that quake…” The sentry trails off.
“We really need help,” Takua pleads, growing a little impatient.
“I’ll need to speak to the Turaga,” the sentry says.
––

“Turaga Tovuna?” Feron ask.
“Yes,” the sentry turns, “you know him?”
“If you need to speak with the Turaga… ask him if he remembers Feron, the Fe-Matoran.”
"Perhaps he will…” and with that, the Sentry renters the city.
––

Agonizing minutes pass by as the trio wait outside the city gates.
“This is taking too long,” Takua complains.
“Gohmo Nui is a large place,” Feron explains, “and I’m sure tracking down Turaga Tovuna takes time.”
“Do you think the Turaga will remember you?” Nuju asks.
Feron nods. “I hope so. I may not have stayed in the city for all that long… but I certainly helped out where I could.”
––

At last, the sentry returns. “The Turaga does indeed remember you, Feron. I have been instructed to allow you three access to the city.”
“Finally,” Takua breathes. “Thank you,” he says to the sentry.
“The Turaga is in his home currently,” the sentry explains. “You know where that is, Feron?” The Fe-Matoran nods.
––

“Very well! Then allow me to welcome you to the great city of Gohmo Nui.” The sentry motions to another standing above the gate. With the sound of mechanical clanking, the gate parts down the middle, sinking into the wall.
“Let’s go!” And with that, Takua and his party set off.

––––––––––

Aid (Past 3-9)

In days long past… With Feron’s directions, the trio soon arrive at the home of the Turaga.

Feron steps forward, and knocks on the door.
“Feron,” Turaga Tuvona smiles as he opens his door to greet the party. “It’s good to see you again, after so long.”
“I wish I could say I came with good news,” Feron replies. “But we come in need of help.”
––

The Turaga beckons for the group to enter his home.
“I’m told you have friends who have been poisoned?” the Turaga inquires.
Takua nods. “Two of our Toa. We… we were hopeful that there might be a Remove Poison Kanoka Disk in the city somewhere…”
“Indeed.” Turaga Tuvona gazes at Takua for a moment. “Tell me… are you from Metru Nui?”
“How…?”
“That’s where Feron departed for, so many years ago.” The Turaga chuckles. “It seemed the most logical assumption. So what brought you all the way here?”
––

Takua looks at Feron. “Should we…?”
Feron nods. “Of course. We can trust Turaga Tuvona.”
Takua turns back to the Turaga. “Yes. But a lot has happened to our city…”

Takua then tells the tale of the prior events, and the Exiles’ escape from Metru Nui.
––

“Metru Nui, fallen…” Turaga Tuvona laments. “And the Great Spirit cast into slumber…” he shakes his head. “These are ill tidings indeed.” A pause. “We should have at least one Remove Poison Kanoka somewhere. But… I must ask a favor of you.”
“A favor?” Nuju asks, incredulously.
The Turaga nods. “That terrible quake caused great damage to our city. And if Metru Nui has fallen… then our supply of Kanoka disk is in danger of being depleted. Once you have healed your Toa friends… I would ask you bring your party here to aid our city… and perhaps teach us how to make our own Kanoka disks.”
––

“Deal!” Takua says without hesitation.
“Takua,” Nuju begins, “can we really–”
“Matau and Nokama need help. We’ll gladly give our aid in exchange for the means to help them.”
Tuvona smiles. “Thank you, friend. I shall see to it you get your Kanoka. And perhaps a means of transport back as well…”

––––––––––

Those in Need (Past 3-10)

In days long past… The Turaga leads the party to the local Airship dock. A Matoran there waits with a Remove Poison Kanoka, which Nuju takes and stows away.

“We only have a couple airships here,” the Turaga explains. “However, we can certainly spare one to take you back to your friends.”
“Oh boy,” Takua says, excitedly, “I’ve never been in an airship before!”
––

The trio board the airship, and soon it sets off. “I imagine we’ll reach where your friends are within a couple hours,” the pilot says. As the vessel flies, Takua gazes out the windows, watching the world below float by. “This is so cool…” he says, softly.
––

Sure enough, after a few hours the sight of the beached Vahki Transport soon appears below them.
“There,” Nuju points, “that’s our group.”
“I think there’s a patch of land flat enough for us to land on,” the co-pilot says. “We’ll bring it down now.”
––

The airship lands a short ways away from the makeshift camp. Takua’s party disembarks, making their way into camp.
“Wow… you sure know how to make an entrance,” Huki says as they arrive. “Did you find that Kanoka?”
Takua nods. “Are they okay?”
"They will be now.”
––

The group quickly enter the cavern, where the two poisoned Toa still lay. In quick succession, Nuju slams the Remove Poison disk into each Toa, as the gathered Exiles watch on in anticipation.
––

“Ghnnnnn…” Matau slowly sits up. “What…”
“You’re alright now,” Maku says. “Thank’s to Takua’s party, we were able to heal you from the poison.”

“Hnnnnn…” Nokama groans. “Then it seems we owe you our thanks, Takua.”
The Ta-Matoran nods humbly. “I must speak with the Turaga now.”
––

Takua, Feron, and Nuju exit the cavern and approach the Turaga, who stand atop the nearby hill, gazing at the airship.
“Well done, Takua,” Turaga Lhikan says. “Your actions have saved Toa Nokama and Matau.”
“Thank you, Turaga,” Takua replies. “And we also have a way back to Gohmo Nui, without needing to walk the distance. But…”
“What is it?” Lhikan asks.
––

“In exchange for the disk, Takua promised Turaga Tuvona that we’d come to the city and lend our aid,” Feron explains. “Which includes possibly teaching them how to make Kanoka disks themselves.”
“I see…” Turaga Dume looks over at Takua. The Ta-Matoran starts to get nervous.
“Well, I felt the least we could do was help them repair the damage from the quakes,” Takua says.
“And right you are,” Turaga Dume replies. “A Toa’s Duty is to serve, protect, and help all Matoran, not just those of one’s own homeland.”
––

The Turaga and Takua’s party leave the hilltop, returning to the beach. Nokama and Matau have gotten up and are standing with the rest of the Exiles.
“It is good to have you two back,” Lhikan says with warmth.
“And it’s ever-good to be back!” replies Matau. He motions to the airship. “Sweet ride– can I drive it?”
Turaga Dume shakes his head. “You’ll need to pilot our transport to the ports at Gohmo Nui. We shouldn’t abandon our vessel.”
“No fair,” Matau grumbles.
––

Dume turns to Vakama. “What knowledge do you have of disk-making?”
“I know some,” replies Vakama. “I occasionally had to make disks back home…”
“Excellent,” Dume replies. “Now, I will accompany Matau and Nokama on our Transport via the sea. The rest of you can board the airship. Once we arrive in Gohmo Nui, we will begin assisting the city with rebuilding.”
––

As the rest of the Exiles begin to board the Airship, Takua lingers, gazing out to sea, lost in thought.
“Takua?” His thoughts are interrupted by Maku. “You coming, akilini-head?”
Takua smiles. “Yes, yes. Let’s go!”

––––––––––

Arrival in Gohmo Nui (Past 3-11)

In days long past… As the sky grows dim and night approaches, the Exiles of Metru Nui arrive in the city of Gohmo Nui. Disembarking from the airship, they are greeted at the dock by Turaga Tuvona.
“Welcome, friends,” he says. “On behalf of the entire city, I would like to thank you for agreeing to come to our aid.”
“How bad was the damage done by the quakes?” Whenua asks.
“Hundreds died. Many of our taller buildings sustained considerable damage. The housing quarter was hit quite severely.”
––

“So what can we do to help?” Takua asks.
“Northing tonight,” the Turaga replies. “Evening is upon us, and I imagine none of you have rested well in days. I have already prepared a building with quarters for everyone; I will have you shown there shortly.”
“Turaga Tuvona,” Lhikan speaks up, “there will be a vessel arriving in port soon with a few of our number– Two Toa and a Turaga.”
The Turaga of Air nods. “I will let the harbormaster know.”
––

As the others in the party disperse to explore the airdock, Vakama approaches Turaga Tuvona, accompanied by Takua and Huki.
“Turaga?” Vakama begins. “I was told something about you wishing to learn to make Kanoka disks?”
The Turaga nods. “Yes. While it is not something I expect of you… it would be of great help if we could produce our own disks. Especially now that Metru Nui has fallen.”
Vakama nods. “I have some knowledge of disk making, though not on the purification process…”
"We can worry about that in due time, Toa…”
––

Huki looks over at Takua. “So, I guess we’re staying here for awhile, yeah?”
Takua nods. “Maybe there’ll be some boulders around you can head-butt.” The pair share a hearty laugh, and in that moment, Takua feels the most hope he’s felt since leaving Metru Nui behind.

––––––––––

Expertise (Past 3-12)

In days long past… (2 months after Exile) “Mitua!” Takua sees the Onu-Matoran exiting a large building in the center of town.
“Ah, Takua.” Mitua nods in acknowledgement, clearly deep in thought.
––

“Are you alright?” Takua asks.
“I just visited the city’s Rahi museum,” Mitua says. “It’s woefully small, unfortunately.”
“Well, Metru Nui did have an entire underground complex dedicated to the preservation and study of Rahi,” Takua points out.
––

Mitua continues to talk as the two walk.
“Their library of knowledge is quite incomplete,” the Archivist explains. “Even factoring in the localized focus of their exhibits, they’re still lacking a great deal of information.”
“Well… perhaps you could help?” Takua offers. “With your extensive time and knowledge from working in the Archives, you could help them fill out their own libraries?”
“That… could work…” Mitua trails off. “Yes… I should offer my expertise to them. Alas, if only I still had direct access to the Archives…”
––

“Friends!” The two turn to see Matau strutting towards them, accompanied by a Toa they don’t recognize.
“Hello, Matau!” Takua waves. “Who’s this?”
“Oh yes— allow me to sure-greet you to Toa Rathu!”
––

Toa Rathu nods, stepping forward. “You are among the Matoran who come from Metru Nui, hm?”
Takua nods. “We came with the Toa Metru.”
“It is a shame to hear what’s happened to the great city…” Rathu sighs. “I’d always wanted to visit one day.”
––

“Toa Rathu!” The group turn to see a Ta-Matoran rushing up to the Toa.
“Jabo climbed up the Great Spire— and is stuck again.”
Toa Rathu sighs. “When will that cross-wired gukko-brain learn… Toa Matau? Would you come with me?”
Matau grins. “This Jabo fellow sounds like fun— I’ll gladly help you fetch him! Farewell, Matoran friends!”
––

As the Toa depart, Mitua turns back to Takua.
“Well, I should go back to the Rahi Museum now. If I can speak to the chief curator, perhaps we can begin filling out their library.”
Takua smiles. “Well, good luck Mitua!”

––––––––––

The Hunter Returns (Past 3-13)

In days long past… (4 months after exile) Takua, Nuparu, and Pokepi walk the streets of Gohmo Nui, chatting among themselves about the happenings of the day.
––

Suddenly, a distressed Matoran runs into the group, bumping into Nuparu.
“Whoa!” the Onu-Matoran exclaims as the other Matoran lands on the ground.

“Sorry.” The Matoran shakes her head.
“Are you alright?” Pokepi asks, concerned.
––

The Matoran gets up. “Move aside, I’ve gotta run and—“
“There you are!”

The group turn to see a tall green warrior standing in the streets.
“That’s Bahthank!” Takua says, recalling the being who gave his scouting party directions months ago.
––

“Ahh… hello again little Matoran,” Bahthank waves, rather cheerfully. “Please forgive me; this pesky swindler needs to come with me.”
“I’m no swindler!” The new Matoran shoots back. “You wretched Hunters forced me to work for you!”
“You crossed the Shadowed One,” Bahthank replies. “You know the penalty for that.”
––

The Matoran hides behind the trio of Exiles.
“Please,” she says softly, “don’t let him take me.”
––

Takua steps forward. “I’m sorry, friend, but I think this Matoran is staying with us.”
Bahthank sighs. “Alas, I didn’t want to do this…”
––

Bahthank fires twin beams from his weapons, knocking the Matoran down to the ground.
“Business must come first,” the Hunter says matter-of-factly.
––

Takua stands back up, sore but defiant.
“Can’t you just let this go?”
Bahthank shakes his head. “A bounty must be collected. Stand aside.”
“…no.” Takua plants his feet into the ground. His hands tremble. “I won’t let you take her away.”
––

“Hmmm… I don’t like to do this… but you leave me no choice.” Bahthank flexes his arms, preparing to strike at Takua.
––

“Oh, no you don’t!” From atop a nearby building, Toa Onewa swings down, proto-pitons in hand. “I don’t know who you are, but you need to back down!”
––

“Agreed.” From behind the Matoran, Toa Rathu dashes onto the scene, weapon at the ready.
Bahthank scowls. “I’m not especially fond of fighting Toa. But I have a job to do.”
––

Bahthank lunges forward, swinging his blades. Without hesitation, Onewa summons a mass of Stone to slam the Hunter back.
“If you wanna fight,” the Toa of Stone growls, “I won’t hesitate to clobber you.”
––

Bahthank rises to his feet, growling. “…very well, Toa. I’ll cede victory here… but you’d better watch your back. My boss does not take kindly to interference.” And with that, the Hunter strides away, in the direction of the town gates.
––

The Toa turn to face the Matoran.
“That… was a very brave thing you did,” Onewa says to Takua. “I… well, you’re clearly not a tagalong, Chronicler.” Takua smiles, nodding softly in acknowledgement.
“I’m going to make sure he leaves the city,” Rathu says.
––

“Are you alright?” Pokepi turns to the Matoran he’d stood in front of.
“I… I am now,” she replies shakily. “You… you all actually protected me.”
“Of course,” Takua replies. “We wouldn’t leave you to that Hunter, after all.”
––

“Hm…” Nuparu walks over to a small and strange device that rests where the Hunter had fallen previously. The Onu-Matoran leans down and picks it up.
“What’s that?” Takua asks.
“I’m not sure…” Nuparu trails off. “But I’d definitely like to figure it out.”

––––––––––

Not Belonging (Past 3-14)

In days most recent… Takua and Maku travel through the residence district of Gohmo Nui. Two days have passed since Takua’s encounter with the Hunter Bahthank.
“Are you sure you’ll find her here?” Maku asks.
Takua nods. “This is where we left her. I watched her enter the building.”
––

The two stop in front of a small housing unit. Takua knocks on the door. Sure enough, the same Matoran he’d helped protect the other day answers the door.
“Oh… it’s you,” she says softly.
Takua gives a warm smile. “I wanted to come see how you’re holding up. Oh, and this is my friend, Maku!” The Ga-Matoran waves cheerfully.
––

“I… appreciate the consideration,” the Matoran replies. “I’m alright… Thank you… for defending me…”
“It’s what a Toa would do,” Takua replies matter-of-factly. “Oh, I don’t think I got your name, by the way.”
“Ah, I guess not. I’m Thara.”
“Forgive me,” Maku speaks up, “but I… can’t quite tell what sort of Matoran you are.”
––

Thara gives a mirthless chuckle. “You wouldn’t be the first. I am not any ‘type’ of Matoran. I have no element. No affinity.”
“No… element?” Takua had never heard of any Matoran existing without an element.
“That’s…”
“Please, spare me the pity,” Thara interjects. “It won’t change anything.”
––

Takua gazes at Thara for a moment.
“I… I won’t say I understand whatever it is you’ve endured, Thara,” he says at last. “But my friends and I… we are all exiles. Cast from our home and separated from our people by an evil entity. So we know a thing or two about not belonging. If you ever need people to talk to… we’d be happy to listen.”
––

Thara is silent for a moment. “……where do you reside?”
Takua smiles. “We all stay close to the Turaga’s sanctuary. Just come around there, and you’ll surely find one of us.”

––––––––––

Life in Gohmo Nui (Past 3-15)

In days long past… years have passed since the exiles arrived in Gohmo Nui. True to their word, the Exiles have lent their aid in repairing the damage wrought by the Great Spirit’s fall.

(2 years after exile) Vakama and Dume have lent their knowledge to Turaga Tuvona to attempt to replicate Metru Nui’s disk forges. Nokama’s limited knowledge of the Protodermis purification plants gave the Matoran of Gohmo Nui a foundation for constructing their own. After much trial and error, the purification process had been refined enough for the Matoran to begin learning how to forge disks. Though they still have much to learn and work out, their forges have begun to produce a small handful of new Kanoka.

(3 years after Exile) Meanwhile, Takua and the other Matoran Exiles have slowly become more familiar with Gohmo Nui. Though certainly still outsiders, they have become known by a large number of the residents of the city. It is not uncommon to see three or four Matoran gathered around Takua as he tells tales of the Toa Metru’s adventures.

(3 years after Exile) Often seen along with the Matoran Exiles is Thara, the Nil-Matoran. Though remaining reserved and quiet, she finds a measure of comfort around the warmth of Takua and his friends.

(4 years after Exile) “Mitua?” Takua and Thara are strolling the streets of Gohmo Nui when they see the Onu-Matoran.
“Ah yes, hello.” Mitua waves at them.
“You seem in good spirits,” Takua notes.
“Indeed! I have just finished a particularly stimulating day!”
––

Takua recalls Mitua previously mentioning how he’d been contacted by the city’s Rahi Library to help fill out their knowledge, given Mitua’s tenure as an Archivist.
“I’m glad to hear that, friend.” Takua smiles. “It’s good of you to share your expertise with others, and give them access to the knowledge you’ve gathered. You ensure that the spirit of the Great Archives remains alive and well.”
“I… thank you,” Mitua replies softly.

(6 years after Exile) “…and then I dove into that force storm, and snatched the disk!” Matau tells Toa Rathu and a group of Matoran the tale of how he acquired his Metru’s Great Disk.
“Takua tells it better,” one of the Matoran says, prompting a chuckle from Rathu.
Matau grins. “Well, he is our ever-loved Chronicler. Has he ever told you how we first met? So…”

(7 years after Exile) “C’mon, Huki!” Maku excitedly drags the Po-Matoran through the city.
“Where are we going this late after dark?” he asks.

Maku leads Huki to a warehouse. They climb a ladder near the entrance, ending up on the roof.
“This is the tallest building outside of Town Center,” Maku says.
Huki gazes around. “It’s weird to see the city like this.” He stares down at the faint glow of Gohmo Nui below.
––

Maku grins. “Look up, Akilini-head.” Huki complies, and is greeted by a stunning view of the starry sky.
“Isn’t it beautiful?” Maku muses. “We never get to see the night sky this clearly when we’re down there.”
Huki nods. “There’s so many…” After a moment spent gazing at the sky, he looks over at Maku. “Thank you, for bringing me here.”

(8 years after Exile) Takua enters the Exile’s quarters. Vakama is wearing the Mask of Time, using it on spare tools.
The Toa of Fire looks over, breaking focus. “If you’re looking for Dume, he just left to sail to the Sea Gate again.”

Takua shakes his head. “Are you okay?”
Vakama pauses. “This Mask… its power is so vast. I’ve been training with it…”
––

“You sound distressed,” the Chronicler perceives.
Vakama sighs. “It’s so overwhelming at times. Sometimes I have to fight to keep the Mask from turning its power back on me. If I ever lost control…”
“I trust you,” says Takua. “But be careful, Vakama. We need you.”

(10 years after Exile) Turaga Lhikan gazes out from his window at the bustling city. The others had adjusted fairly well to living here. It was nice for them to have a home… a temporary home, he reminds himself. Their true home was still out of reach. For now, Gohmo Nui would suffice. But one day, Metru Nui would be their home again.

––––––––––––––––––––
The Exiles of Metru Nui have found a place of refuge in the city of Gohmo Nui. As the various individual Exiles get accustomed to their new life, they begin to integrate into the living in their new home. Where will Destiny take them next?

*Previous Part: (NLAU) Past, Pt. 3: Exiles of Metru Nui (Section 1)

Next Part: Coming Soon

––––––––––––––––––––
This section is substantially longer, I noticed! This is, in part, because these originate as posts on Instagram, and I haven’t necessarily thought in terms of pacing for each individual section of a whole Part. (Honestly, I’d much prefer to not have ‘sections,’ and just have the entirety of one Part in one post… but TTV has a character limit preventing that from happening. So sad!) Anyway, I hope you enjoy this next section of Takua’s adventures!

4 Likes