Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

What is already a very low data selection is made lower by the fact that we don’t know if the same users voted in more than one poll. This just represents the views of quite literally an infinitesimally small portion of the community.

1 Like

You’re right, I just saw that, sorry. I just wanted my stance to be clear.

Whats the community think of spear tips from weapons like this?

They technically have the metallic color, but are multi colored. However I feel like they could fit in as well. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I personally have no problem with them. The metallic-transparent melded ones especially can work, since they can be looked at as a metal spearhead with an extension made of the element- i.e., the weapon being used.

2 Likes

The dataset is too small. Making inferrences based off it would be poor statistical analysis and is a horrible habit. What’s more, it’s a habit that’s been used WAY too much in regards to this contest. Just like a poll with 30 replies saying “End the contests” shared specifically to people who want the contests to end isn’t reliable data, neither is 20 replies saying “The metru Build is the metru torso piece” when, again, that isn’t even the question.

As for why there’s so much Hagah Fanart with Metru Builds? Probably because the two we know of are Metru Builds. That still has no bearing on whether or not we should enforce a ruleset for this contest that requires the Metru Build.

Seriously unless someone can specifically give me a compelling reason for why we should force people to use the Metru Build that isn’t “Greg said they’re Metru styled” (which we’ve already established in this very topic could be open to interpretation) or “In my opinion the Hagah need to be Metru Builds” then I don’t know what to tell you, because right now I have seen more compelling arguments for allowing custom builds within specific limitations than I have for 100% forcing people to use a specific piece.

It isn’t my call whether we have a poll but at this point I’m well aware of the need to make it a black or white issue. Be patient.

8 Likes

Aight double post because I’m an admin and I can.

The childishness on display in this topic has to stop. My patience has ended with this. If you want to join the discussion, you will do so respectfully, and honestly. There will be no more intentional misrepresentation of others arguments, there will be no anger and childish rage at others for their opinions. If you can’t take a step back before you post and read it to ask yourself if it would annoy you to read, then don’t post it at all. I shoudn’t have to tell everyone to behave like adults.

That said, you all do you. 2 weeks minimum from this point on.

Do NOT test me.

12 Likes

Hey wait a minute, I want that kind of power too!

I think it’d be fine, as long as either it matches the metallic color, or matches the color of the rest of the spear’s haft, so as not to appear out of place on a purely aesthetic level.

4 Likes

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as bad data. Too few, it amplifies the results way more than what’s actually the community consensus. I think having no more than 20 people in total voting in some of your polls is considered too few data points to actually provide useful information. I can make a poll too and share it with my friends and have them say a metru build isn’t necessary and say “there you go, community thoughts.”

In this case, you didn’t specify what the poll was for, just asking what is a metru build.

4 Likes

Ghid Rules 1.5 and measurements post updated because, I am literally a moron and forgot to include the actual smallest measurement: Pushing the hips piece all the way into the gearbox space, like how Whenua does it:

no wait wrong image

he got swagger yes he do

so I apologize for that I cannot believe I missed so obvious a thing I am weeping please forgive me

9 Likes

alternatively you could think of something like fractals where patterns are the same on different scales

Booyah, bet you didn’t read Jurassic Park.

Serious post time:

I fully recognize that I have a natural propensity towards a snarky/sarcastic tone when it comes to opinions I disagree with. This can all too easily make me seem ruder than I intend to. Especially in this topic, I’ve gone out of my way to not do this, often rewriting my posts.

Still, no one’s perfect. If I have come off as harsh or hating on someone or just rude, I sincerely apologize.

14 Likes

Same for me, I genuinely haven’t been upset in this thread yet. Mostly because I am ready for this part of the process to move on, but still want my perspective emphasized. (Now LAST time this thread was out, I definitely had far more snark and sarcasm than was ever necessary…)

What really bothers me is that Onewa, the tallest Turaga, doesn’t even have the highest hip config out of the Metru Toa. Like… aghk.

1 Like

Haha, that’s true. But then again, the Turaga don’t really resemble the Metru, like, at all.

4 Likes

I know I said I was going to leave but saw this on my email and wanted to give some context here because and please corrrect me if I’m wrong, you are assuming i sent these to my friends?

First and foremost I don’t have that big of a network of Bionicle fan friends to pull a stunt like that. Secondly these were just posted in the group feeds I told nobody to go and vote on these beyond the people who actually voted. Thirdly I’m no where near the big named community memebers so either way what I do I won’t reach everyone thats a shame but that is how it is. I’ll be taking my leave now again and I’ll only return to this topic if someone mentions me or @s me

Lol I should’ve read more about chaos theory

Also @Tarkur I wasn’t at all implying that. It’s called a hypothetical.

1 Like

I may be trying to find some good spraypaint or something to emulate flatgold sometime relatively soon. If I get good results I will post it here

2 Likes

make sure it’s not the official shape or it won’t be canon compliant :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I was referring to the noun and not the mask in that case, a confusing context to use that word in hindsight

1 Like

To give some context on what I think should be allowed, here’s my Hagah builds:

Personally, I think these stay in the spirit of the Hagah aesthetic, while addressing some of the weaker parts of the existing Hagah sets. Needless to say, I think these types of customizations should be allowed.

And although I didn’t choose to do this, I think some variations on the Metru body should be allowed like Kodiak’s Bomonga. I also think that custom torsos should be allowed, but they should have the same approximate dimensions as the Metru gearbox.

Ultimately, each person is going to have their own personal opinion on where exactly the line should be drawn on what should be allowed to be canon. Because Greg never gave us a rigorous definition of a “Metru build”, that line won’t be objectively drawn until after the contest and Greg approves it.

In the spirit of (1) letting the community as a whole have a say in what defines a Metru build and (2) keeping the rules fairly simple and keeping this a fun contest, I think the rules should allow for a large degree of customization. If you are concerned that the community won’t “respect the canon” in their vote, remember that Greg has the right to veto any potential winner. If he doesn’t think it matches canon, he won’t approve it.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t vote for em myself. Im not saying your mocs are bad, but they don’t feel cohesive to the team. They could perhaps be a different Hagah team, but I’m just not seeing any uniformity

3 Likes