Okotan Adventures: Spider Saga

Vinum nods. “Thank you kindly.” he says, heading out of the city to go that way.

Keya notices the snapped branches, and taps on Hitora’s shoulder, alerting him to it. “It’s recently used, relatively speaking.” She tells him. “They might’ve gone that way.”

2 Likes

“Indeed,” one of the elders agrees. “Isolated villages and settlements have been returning more and more often in search for guidance and aide from ourselves and our pathfinders since Vizuna’s disappearance. There is much work to be done for us all.” Kiva stands at attention near the lift, glancing off into the trees frequently.

“The totems? Some ancient culture or another.” He shrugs. “You’ve got stuff like this all over the region. I guess the totems surrounded anything important; they were supposed to scare off intruders or something.”

They would travel through an elaborate garden as they approach the building, the sounds of the city fading around them. The building before them is constructed of wood and stone, its architecture making it feel older than anything else in the city. The front stairs would lead them through an entry hall and into an expansive chamber, with skylights creating a dappled pattern on the floor and a massive window on the far wall framing a tree shaped into the form of Uxar, the ‘wings’ spread wide.

A robed villager approaches them, bowing in greeting. “Welcome, friends. Is there anything I may do for you?”

@BlackBeltGamer98 Ekimu moves a good distance away from the rest of the group, until he feels comfortably out of earshot. He turns to face the others, taking a deep breath.

“Blaze… you are a passionate mask maker, and I know you hold good intentions in your heart. That knowledge is the only thing preventing me from terminating your apprenticeship outright.” His face darkens. “Good intentions or no, you broke one of the most important rules I set for you, and you did it behind my back. You have recklessly endangered your own life and the lives of everyone around you, and in doing so you seem to presume that you know better than myself and all who came before me. I don’t think I need to remind you what happened the last time someone thought the same.” His eyes dart to the crater behind Blaze.

“Still… you are young, and not set in your ways. You stand close to the right path; you only lack discipline. As such, I had arranged with the city guard to allow you to spend time with them, and learn from their example. They can teach you to honor the word of those around you, and to consider experience outside your own before you act.”

“This was before I realized that you had found yourself in the company of Dax.” The Mask Maker turns to face the elder Okotan. “I do not know if you are aware, but Dax has served years of his life within the city guard. He is a respectable man, and one I deeply trust. Given the crisis at hand, I am willing to propose an alternate solution. If Dax is willing, he will mentor you, and teach you all that I had hoped you could learn from the guard. To temper your impulsive nature and correct your disregard for tradition. If not, well, the city guard will be waiting. And if you wish to accept neither option? Then you shall no longer be my apprentice, and shall be prohibited from the art of mask making.” Ekimu lets out a sigh.

“Dax, I apologize to spring this on you as such, but what do you say? Are you willing to lend a favor to myself, and to Blaze?”

Lync follows Kryuna’s glance upwards, frowning. Without another word, she begins scanning the walls, looking for some sign of a ladder, or maybe the edge of a rope peeking out from above. @Flux

3 Likes

Blaze seemed relieved at Ekimu’s words and brings out his hammer, “If I am to be on this probation, I feel it’s best if I left this with you until you deem my lesson learned.” He said, offering the hammer to his master.

He genuinely wanted to fix the mistakes he had made and learn from others so he may be a better person and be redeemed in the eyes of his master.

2 Likes

Ekimu hesitates, then takes the hammer. “Thank you, Blaze. I will return this when you are ready.”

2 Likes

Blaze nods, understanding what was being asked of him and the situation he was now in.

3 Likes

“Well then,” Morrus said, his eyes glowing with the desire to finally do something. “What matter would my assistance be most valuable in?”

Gladius made no vocal response. The totem bore no specific markings. “Well…

Standing back up, he glanced towards Hitora’s party to see if there was anything to note… And to make sure the Collected hadn’t wandered away.

The fire was at its coals now, and the dancing lights among the charred wood was encapsulating the Lord of the Undying Storm’s attention. Ekimu was farther away and his eyes were hurting from the fire’s brilliant glow, but there was some amount of movement. Someone maybe handed something to the other? Or perhaps they shook hands? One of them was still motionless, watching the pair perhaps, and… And the fire drew his attention once again.

3 Likes

Azure is still asleep

In the distance Reige begins to see the silhouette of a city. As he approaches the emotions his senses goes wild filling him with excitement. “Whatever behemoth in there it will fall under my immense power” Reige arrogantly thought for himself.

The impact causes skipper to loose his grip and fell to the ground upon impact the mask unhinged from his face but was stuck between the floor and his face. He was stunned for now.

2 Likes

He would likely see Hitora and Keya inspecting the game trail. Hitora looks up to see him. “It’s recently used.” He says.

Keya looks for soft ground along the path, and if there were any tracks in it.

On his way out, Vinum saw a Gukko flight service of sorts. He walks up to talk about buying a trip to the desert.

2 Likes

There is no clear sign, of an external role or ladder. However as Lync moves about she would feel a roughness on the obsidian, as if it was worn down from being stepped on many occasions. This texture on her feet is rather stronger in some areas, all leading roughly to the edge, in the center.

Somewhere distant behind them the sound of rushed footsteps could be heard.

Melody speaks, “Yes, I am looking for someone and I believe he came through here. I’m trying to bring this man to justice for murder, so I would like your cooperation, and no dancing around my questions.”

Dax looks at Blaze, and pats the okotan’s back, “The first thing you need to do is keep a straight back and stop that pout. In due time, and I do mean due time, if you prove yourself to have learned that discipline, then you shall leave me a better okotan than when you came to me.”

Dax walks around and faces the fire okotan. The old okotan smiles, “Nevertheless you will learn to tame those fires within you. You will be a better mask maker than if you were to simply study those theories of yours. Knowledge is knowing what something is and how it works. You have much of that, but what you lack is the wisdom and patience required to master your craft. I shall carve wisdom into that skull of yours. I shall teach you habits of living that will make you grow. For wisdom is knowing why and when to use that knowledge.”

Dax grabs his sword, the same sword he used throughout all of his career as a guardsman. He rests the blade on the young okotan’s shoulders, and says, “Tradition is wisdom past down from our ancestors. Do not break it, but do question why it exists. If tradition says multiple crystals in a mask is dangerous, than there’s a good reason why it’s a tradition. Second; you will know how to hold this sword. A sword is a tool to kill. It’s who you kill and when you strike that matters. Only a disciplined warrior knows to fear every opponent, and if a true warrior falls down seven times, they get up eight times.”

Dax sheathes his sword, “First thing first. I’m going to teach you the basics, which means no weapons.”

One of the guards would reach to grab Skipper’s right arm.

Erebos lies against the wretched desert stone. They didn’t understand, they never understood. This. This was something he needed to do. He needed his power. He needed that mask.

3 Likes

(@Flux)

Blaze staggered from the unexpected blow but stands back up.

He flinches a little at the sword being drawn but relaxes when he realizes he wasn’t in danger.

He nods to Dax, interested to see what he had to teach him.

2 Likes

“A good question indeed,” the Elder drones. “From all across the region these villagers come to seek our aid, and their troubles seem to originate from everywhere and nowhere at once. Where to focus our efforts is a matter of great importance, as I’m sure you understand.”

The flare of anger continues to simmer from within the city, seemingly coming from somewhere at its heart.

The imprint of a footprint lays in a patch of dirt - an Okotan footprint. It leads away from them.

Lync follows the strange texturing to the edge of the platform, kicking at the ground and half-expecting it to move beneath her. “Now, what are we hiding?” she murmurs.

The stranger’s head bobs in a vigorous nod, eyes wide in sudden attention.

“Oh, yes yes of course! What does this man look like? Do you believe he has visited Karios recently, or even this very temple? When might he have been here?”

A slight smile warms Ekimu’s face. “Well, I will leave you some time to get to know one another. Be wary of the time; I follow Erebos at dawn, and if you wish to join me, you will need your rest.”

The old Mask Maker hoists Blaze’s hammer over his shoulder and walks away, returning to the warmth of the campfire and the company of the others. He beckons to the Lord of the Storm, taking a seat by the fire and letting the hammer rest beside him.

“Thank you for your patience. Now, I believe there were important matters to be discussed?” @Ghid

3 Likes

Morrus nods.

…And, that’s about all he does. Hard to proceed when he didn’t actually answer his question.

Gladius stood with some difficulty. “By whom? an animal?”

The Lord of the Undying Storm jumped to a proper sitting position as soon as Ekimu beckoned towards him, almost standing up. As Ekimu speaks, he slumps slightly and a faint groan can be heard escaping his lungs.

“He’s dying.” He whispered as softly as he could - which, admittedly, wasn’t very much. Something of the wild panic from when he first received the message rekindled in his eyes. “I don’t know how long he has, or why he decided to tell me. If I had some notion of knowing prior, maybe I…”

The slight sadness did not grow or shrink. He wanted to look away, but was barely able to break eye contact with Ekimu. This is not how leaders communicate; not through tears or guilt. They rise to the situation at hand.

With a deep and heavy sigh, he continued. “I have a general idea where he could be, but he’s hard to spot when he isn’t walking around. No idea what I’d tell him once I got there, either. Should I try to make amends? Seek some kind of apology?”

“Why does the price of lordship have to be so high? If it can’t-”

His head snapped slightly to the side, and he awkwardly turned back towards the fire, apprehensive of the Mask Maker’s presence. Ekimu was responsible for his position and power; was there a line he was about to cross if he continued?

3 Likes

Recognozing the interaction as probably being important, Twenty Three quickly pulled out her Clipboard and began to note down the basic dialogue between Ekimu and The Lord of the Undying Storm.

1 Like

They would feel the arm giving away quite easily and was not very hard to move around. However the mask started to move as the guard felt around with Skippers arm.

Reige continues heading for the city, he speeds up in excitment and the speed causes his hood too unfold from his face but he didn’t mind he had no intent of hiding it. “The hunt is on!” Was his last thought before entering the city.

1 Like

“A person, from the looks of it.” Keya responds. “At least, there’s a person’s footprint here.”

2 Likes

The Lord of the Undying Storm slowly raised his head towards Twenty Three, staring daggers directly into her skull.

If I had ice powers right about now you wouldn’t have hands to write with, you incessant animal.

Gladius looked at Vohman for a moment.

“See if you can find any others that might indicate a direction.” He said. Having a footprint so obviously present… Was it made by Vizuna, or was it too new? Had someone else come looking for him?

“Wait should I write about you looking at me, or is that too meta? Shoot, am I influencing the course of history by being here?” panicked the wolfen.

2 Likes

“You’re influencing my decision of whether or not to break your skull open.” The Lord of the Undying Storm hissed. “Go away.”

2 Likes

Keya nods, and follows in the direction the toes of the foot point, looking for more prints.

2 Likes

“Oh you, always joking! Never change.”

2 Likes